Suggestion: Bottle of Wine to say Thanks!

KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
Forum Member
My vet has done a wonderful job with my dog and really words don't just cut it in this case.

The receptionist says he likes red wine, but I know nothing about this area, so can anyone recommend a really nice bottle of wine that he'll like!

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chateauneuf du pape is pretty nice, readily available from most supermarkets and not too expensive 15-20 quid a bottle.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chateauneuf du pape is pretty nice, readily available from most supermarkets and not too expensive 15-20 quid a bottle.

Nah, it's overated IMO.
    Go for St Emillion.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bottle of Buckfast :p
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Nah, it's overated IMO.
    Go for St Emillion.

It depends on the year IMO. The 2005-7 ones are pretty nice IMO.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    It depends on the year IMO. The 2005-7 ones are pretty nice IMO.

Thanks. That's insanely helpful! I barely drink so I know nothing about wine! :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    over 11% and under a fiver is the standard method these days aint it?
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Box wine....quantity over quality!!!! If he drinks it all in one sitting he won't worry about the slight vinegary taste!!!🍷
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Box wine....quantity over quality!!!! If he drinks it all in one sitting he won't worry about the slight vinegary taste!!!🍷

To clarify, I really want to be saying thank you! Not get drunk on cheap crap :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I assume you paid for the vet's services? Considering how much they often charge, I think it should be them buying you the wine. If you really do want to make a nice gesture then perhaps ask what their favourite animal charity is and make a donation to that?
  • Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Primitivo is a lovely bottle of wine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bottle of Buckfast :p

A wine that doesn't mature at all!
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't do better than Barolo
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say a nice Barolo or Chateauneuf du Pape, but I see I was beaten to it! :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Go to a wine shop and not a supermarket and ask the staff for a recommendation in your price range.
  • ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bottle of Cobra.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bottle of Barolo for the vet, Jesus, what happened to a thank you card and a box of biscuits for the staff?
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I assume you paid for the vet's services? Considering how much they often charge, I think it should be them buying you the wine. If you really do want to make a nice gesture then perhaps ask what their favourite animal charity is and make a donation to that?

You see, THIS is the problem with the Internet. I'm already a patron of one charity and I give regularly to said charity, and many others!

But this wasn't about that. It's a lovely gesture but I wanted to thank my vet for going beyond the call of duty in this regard.

Now, if anyone wants to buy some custom-made chocolate bars for my sponsored charity, please PM me (I can't post in on here as they're in the process of getting a load of dogs out of a nightmare environment and can't risk damaging that process).
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    It's a lovely gesture but I wanted to thank my vet for going beyond the call of duty in this regard.
    Beyond the call of duty? A vet? What the hell did he do?

Vets aren't shy when it comes to billing customers. Have you received the bill yet? Was it far less than you felt he deserved?

If so, I have found in the past that a bottle of Buckfast Tonic Wine is an appropriate gesture of thanks. It's made by monks in Buckfast Abbey.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Bung the old soak a bottle of cooking sherry, job's a good 'un.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Whatever wine you get, take the bottle to a priest to have it blessed, then tell the vet it's the blood of Christ. Also slip him a box of thin rice cakes at the same time, without comment.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Thats a very kind idea.

I recommend any chilean red wine or Blossom hill Californian red:)
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    over 11% and under a fiver is the standard method these days aint it?

To be honest you can get a decent bottle of wine for a fiver.

Asda are currently doing a Jacob's Creek Shiraz for £5, usually about £7 or £8.

I wouldn't spend any extra though, probably not worth it if you don't know what you're doing and don't know what he likes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought of asking the receptionist
    Like every thing else he will have a personnel favourite, get the wrong one and it could end up down the drain
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rioja with gold wires looks classy, but it's cheap(ish)

However, you shouldn't have said anything.

It's not etiquette to tip Professionals

Too late now, and I suppose I am just being curmudgeonly.