The Nation's Favourite Motown Song

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A countdown of the top 20 Motown songs, as voted by the public. Tomorrow night at 9pm on itv.

Comments

• BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that...I didn't know it was on. Very hard to choose when you've been a Tamla fan for so long !!
    Top Five maybe from....Heard It Through The Grapevine...Superstition...Get Ready... The Tracks Of My Tears...Reach Out I'll Be There...My Cherie Amour...I Want You Back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    Thanks for that...I didn't know it was on. Very hard to choose when you've been a Tamla fan for so long !!
    Top Five maybe from....Heard It Through The Grapevine...Superstition...Get Ready... The Tracks Of My Tears...Reach Out I'll Be There...My Cherie Amour...I Want You Back.

I'm pretty sure Stop! In The Name Of Love is going to be on the list
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Stop! In The Name Of Love is going to be on the list

Yes or You Keep Me Hangin On. I prefer Diana Ross with the Supremes than as a solo artiste but I suppose for just her Im Still Waiting would be in with a chance. I'll probably spend a while shouting " No....not that !" at the telly when its on. Whats Goin On would be my No 1...just like Marvin !
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best selling ever Motown song is I Just Called To Say I Love You which is rather depressing when you think if the great songs there have been on the label and that dirge outsold them all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes or You Keep Me Hangin On. I prefer Diana Ross with the Supremes than as a solo artiste but I suppose for just her Im Still Waiting would be in with a chance. I'll probably spend a while shouting " No....not that !" at the telly when its on. Whats Goin On would be my No 1...just like Marvin !

I also prefer Diana Ross with the Supreme's but of her solo stuff i rate

My Old Piano
    Mirror Mirror
    Touch Me In The Morning
    Chain Reaction
    Upside Down
    Love Hangover
    I'm Coming Out
    Missing You

Of the stuff with the Supremes i really like

Where Did Our Love Go
    Stop! In the Name of Love
    My World Is Empty Without You
    Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hangin' On
    Love Is Here and Now You're Gone
    Reflections
    In and Out of Love
    Forever Came Today
    Love Child
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    Someday We'll Be Together

I was never keen on The Happening
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Best selling ever Motown song is I Just Called To Say I Love You which is rather depressing when you think if the great songs there have been on the label and that dirge outsold them all

I agree. I saw Stevie live as a teenager in the 70s and then a few years ago at 02 and hes hardly had a duff one apart from that...esp the cheesy ending cha...cha...cha. I wasn't fussy on Ebony and Ivory either to be honest. I guess Im fussy I know but have loved Motown so long and have most of them in some format back to LPs/45s
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many great songs. :) I didn’t know about it so just reading your post has rolled back the years and brought the memories back. I’ll have to watch to find out where my personal favourite I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye comes. It’s centuries since it was resurrected for the Levi’s ad and those dancing California Raisins so perhaps it’s due for another revival sometime soon.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been doing this on the Music Board.

Some records we might call Motown, aren't, but they're all R&B.

There's also a lot of TM records which we wouldn't call Motown, but strictly speaking they are.

Tamla Motown and it's subsidiaries, were just one record producing organisation. There were others of the same era, like Chess producing similar music but with different artists..

It's worth looking through this site,

Tamla Motown. The Complete British Singles Listing.

http://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/boogooA56.htm

This lists every record produced by TM and its subsidiaries from 1959 to 1974. It gives the artist, title of both "A" and "B" sides, the catalogue number and the issue date.

It's a great help if your looking for a particular Motown record, as many vendors of 45rpm records, particularly on eBay, fail to list either the catalogue number or "B" side, which might be different, if it's a re-issue.

It's also handy as prompt to some records you might have forgotten about and even some by your favourite artists you've not known they recorded.

Most then can then be found on YouTube.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Would The Spencer Davis Group version of Keep On Running be classed as Motown?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Nope :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope a few slip into the list that are prime Tamla but maybe forgotten. Im thinking of the likes of : What Does It Take - Jnr Walker...Heatwave - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas...Nathan Jones - The Supremes...Aint Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it'll be I Heard It Through The Grapevine At No. 1. I remember Radio 2 doing a top 50 best selling Motown singles in the UK and high on the list were Bruce Willis Under The Boardwalk and Boys 2 Men End Of The Road.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

No. Absolutely not. It was by a Birmingham band.
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    No. Absolutely not. It was by a Birmingham band.
    Is it about the lable, the style of music or where the artist came from?

There are plenty of classic songs in styles where the artist is not associated with being 'from' that style of music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I reckon it'll be I Heard It Through The Grapevine At No. 1. I remember Radio 2 doing a top 50 best selling Motown singles in the UK and high on the list were Bruce Willis Under The Boardwalk and Boys 2 Men End Of The Road.

Don't know how Bruce Willis got signed to Motown singing just R&B non Motown songs but there you go...the label changed a lot late 80s+. Hopefully this show will have a different slant than 'best selling'
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Old Heart of Mine by The Isley Brothers is not only the best ever Motown aong but possibly the besr song ever recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a few concerns about the programme, having read the write-up in my telly mag..

Contributions from "those involved" I'd welcome.

Contributions from, "celebrity fans," who needs 'em?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've a few concerns about the programme, having read the write-up in my telly mag..

Contributions from "those involved" I'd welcome.

Contributions from, "celebrity fans," who needs 'em?

Exactly. These shows are spoiled by those irrelevant talking heads who insult our intelligence by telling us why they think something was good...often when they werent even born when the item was topical. As you say its different if the person chipping in was directly involved with the subject matter.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. These shows are spoiled by those irrelevant talking heads who insult our intelligence by telling us why they think something was good...often when they werent even born when the item was topical. As you say its different if the person chipping in was directly involved with the subject matter.
    That would put the majority of historians out of a job.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just check the companion CD track listings which is out on Monday, which will be identical to the show
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    A countdown of the top 20 Motown songs, as voted by the public. Tomorrow night at 9pm on itv.
    In all these "The nation's favourite...." shows - how do the public get to vote?
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street is that a tamla one? Brilliant song anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    In all these "The nation's favourite...." shows - how do the public get to vote?

I have no idea since the first i heard about it was when i was browsing through the tv guide today. So i never knew about it until it was already done :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

No it was on United and I think it's a far deeper, soulful sound than Motown.

Fabulous song though but then I'm biased as BW was one of my all time favourite artists. Was supposed to be seeing him live in 3 weeks :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

I haven't checked, but I don't think so. A lot of songs we think are Motown weren't recorded by that company. There's a tendency to lump all the "R&B" tunes of the era under "Motown."

Check out my link to all the Tamla recordings.

http://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/boogooA56.htm

The tune is more famous for its use in the introduction to the Tarantino Blaxploitation movie, Jackie Brown, starring Pam Grier, which was shown earlier this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMhxayjtNz0