Options

How many people on bbc news are gay?

michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering this, as I know Jane Hill is , and I'm pretty sure James Dagwell is who does the nightshift.

Comments

• Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    187 at last count.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evan Davis of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    tomasz schafernaker
    Evan Davis
    Moira Stewart
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    187 at last count.
    you have rescued what would otherwise have been a pointless thread.

Really if a news readers sexuality is on show, whilst they are reading the news, they are doing it wrong.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is why i was wondering which ones were - as i think it is very hard to tell apart from the obvious thomasz schafernaker - he's mad!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't ask, don't tell, and who gives a **** anyway ?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moira Stewart
    Not proven.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering this, as I know Jane Hill is , and I'm pretty sure James Dagwell is who does the nightshift.

Who cares? If they're doing they're job properly what difference does it make?
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why such a pointless question? Or is there a presenter you hope is gay because you fancy him??
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Who cares?
    spiney2 wrote:
    and who gives a **** anyway ?
    Who cares? If they're doing they're job properly what difference does it make?
    terrykl wrote:
    Why such a pointless question?

Absolutely correct.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic thread.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the question is completely irrelevant. But just a point - the other day I was looking at an application form to be a census collector next year. Among several questions it asked for the applicant's sexuality and gave three options:

Homosexual
    Heterosexual
    Bisexual

Now bearing in mind the census is organised by the government what relevance does a person's sexuality have to going round collecting census papers ? How could it make any difference ?
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shock Horror:eek: - BBC Announce additions to their News team.

Watch out for appearances from Graham Norton, Paul O' Grady, etc.

Claire Balding will present Sports News.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Now bearing in mind the census is organised by the government what relevance does a person's sexuality have to going round collecting census papers ? How could it make any difference ?

Umm, it doesn't make a difference to your application - that's the point. And it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. Employers want to monitor how they're doing in relation to the various strands of equality, and a good way of doing that is to compare the figures for those who apply with those who get the jobs.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It'll be for monitoring purposes. It won't have any impact on whether you get the job whatsoever.

I'd imagine it'll be so they can monitor for situations where disproportionate numbers of one group were employed. Let's say 10% of the number shortlisted were gay, and then no gay people were employed. That might be a sign that there is a problem in the recruitment process that may need to be looked at. (Notice the key words in italics. It wouldn't mean there was a problem. Just that there might be one).

(No doubt there will be lots of posts suggesting that it's a fix and if you're a black one legged lesbian you're guaranteed any job.)
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I agree the question is completely irrelevant. But just a point - the other day I was looking at an application form to be a census collector next year. Among several questions it asked for the applicant's sexuality and gave three options:

Homosexual
    Heterosexual
    Bisexual

No asexual on the form? Very behind the times.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Shock Horror:eek: - BBC Announce additions to their News team.

Watch out for appearances from Graham Norton, Paul O' Grady, etc.

Claire Balding will present Sports News.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have it on authority that Graham Norton is not gay just a very good actor.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    It'll be for monitoring purposes. It won't have any impact on whether you get the job whatsoever.

I'd imagine it'll be so they can monitor for situations where disproportionate numbers of one group were employed. Let's say 10% of the number shortlisted were gay, and then no gay people were employed. That might be a sign that there is a problem in the recruitment process that may need to be looked at. (Notice the key words in italics. It wouldn't mean there was a problem. Just that there might be one).

(No doubt there will be lots of posts suggesting that it's a fix and if you're a black one legged lesbian you're guaranteed any job.)
    I take your point (they also ask questions about disabilities). But if your scenario was correct clearly there would be a need to employ more gay people to ''balance the books'' (what I think the Americans used to call positive discrimination) so it would affect the appintments (I haven't applied, just interested).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    No asexual on the form? Very behind the times.

I thought that. Does that mean I can't apply to be a census collector?!?
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,612
    Forum Member
    tomasz schafernaker
    Evan Davis
    Moira Stewart

Tomasz and Evan yes, but Moira Stewart?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Tomasz and Evan yes, but Moira Stewart?:confused:

Dunno, but type her name into Google and have a look at the suggested searches that come up :)
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,612
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Dunno, but type her name into Google and have a look at the suggested searches that come up :)

I went "straight" to the Wiki entry on her...note the Des Lynam reference!
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Not that it matters but in answer to the OP Jane Hill is gay.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take your point (they also ask questions about disabilities). But if your scenario was correct clearly there would be a need to employ more gay people to ''balance the books''

No it wouldn't. If my example did happen and they did look into it and there was no evidence of any problems then nothing would need to happen happen. If it turned out that the person doing the interviews was homophobic and that was influencing their decisions then something would have to happen regarding their position making employment decisions.