A Question of Sport

bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
Forum Member
Just found out this had a new series and was on at 10:35 on a Monday, weird choice.

However it does not appear to be on iplayer, does anybody know why?

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just found out this had a new series and was on at 10:35 on a Monday, weird choice.

However it does not appear to be on iplayer, does anybody know why?

A cynic might think that the Beeb want to get rid of QoS and so have dumped it in a graveyard slot so the reduced viewing figures will help to explain the forthcoming cancellation
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears to be repeated on Friday's at 7 pm - i.e. its usual slot in recent years.

If you haven't watched this series yet, it has a new set with a very off-putting shifting electronic display behind the contestants - and another innovation seems to be the introduction of two "celebs" in place of two of the actual sports people :mad: - thus they appear to be finally trying to morph it into They Think It's All Over.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's not on iPlayer because of clip rights.

The second episode of the series is monday and repeated on friady at 7.30. I think that's the schedule from then on. Not sure why the first episode wasn't repeated though.

There is a another thread about it here
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1287714&page=3
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a bit of a lame show with Matt Dawson being so irritating.
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    and another innovation seems to be the introduction of two "celebs" in place of two of the actual sports people :mad: - thus they appear to be finally trying to morph it into They Think It's All Over.

I hope not. I'll admit that a decade ago I saw QoS as old-fashioned in comarison, but now it seems like an oasis of normality in a BBC full of idiotic celebrity quiz shows.
    I think I like basic quiz shows peopled by ordinary guests, i.e. not comedians.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    It appears to be repeated on Friday's at 7 pm - i.e. its usual slot in recent years.

If you haven't watched this series yet, it has a new set with a very off-putting shifting electronic display behind the contestants - and another innovation seems to be the introduction of two "celebs" in place of two of the actual sports people :mad: - thus they appear to be finally trying to morph it into They Think It's All Over.
    That is just...wrong. What were the viewing figures like for the last series? I presume not great if they are trying to shake up that format.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guests this week included Paddy McGuinness and Olly Murs. I only know the former is a comedian because I've just Googled him, and I gather the latter was on X-Factor.

It's rather sad to see an old institution being run down like this. :(
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    It needs a rest. A long rest. Perhaps to come back with an avuncular Tom Daley as host.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have to agree - the new set has clearly been designed to make the programme unwatchable. And WTF does QoS need random "celebs"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    oh they are trying to make it a comedy panel show - paddy mcguinness and olly murs? I mean really????
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
    Forum Member
    oh they are trying to make it a comedy panel show - paddy mcguinness and olly murs? I mean really????

I had to laugh when they did the home or away round and went to the celebs, how can they have a home subject when they are not even sports stars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I had to laugh when they did the home or away round and went to the celebs, how can they have a home subject when they are not even sports stars.

Paddy Mcguinness is a Karate black belt and Olly Murs played semi-professional football for Witham Town.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yogib wrote: »
    Paddy Mcguinness is a Karate black belt and Olly Murs played semi-professional football for Witham Town.

But didn't Paddy McGuinness have football as his home subject?

I don't like the new format of having non-sports people at all, there are enough 'celebs' on other quiz programmes without dumbing down this one. I'd rather see less well know sportsmen and women take part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This appeared on Points of View this week.

Viewers were moaning that the set was too loud & the fact that you couldn't see the audience.

Apparently it's all being changed this week as a result.

Shame one of those changes isn't Matt Dawson
  • Almira GAlmira G Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »

Viewers were moaning that the set was too loud & the fact that you couldn't see the audience.

Shame one of those changes isn't Matt Dawson

If ONLY :sleep:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guests this week included Paddy McGuinness and Olly Murs. I only know the former is a comedian because I've just Googled him, and I gather the latter was on X-Factor.

It's rather sad to see an old institution being run down like this. :(

Paddy McGuiness only gets work cos he's a pal of Peter Kay
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC think that "celebrities" rather than anyone involved in sport will improve the ratings of a programme about sport, they'll use them.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any episodes of the new series. It's funny, in our house we groan when it comes on, but there is something comforting and familiar about it that none of us would really want to lose.
    If it has to be put-down, I hope they do it very quietly and don't tell us anything about it. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The thing is that it's not that comfortable and familiar any more.

It may have been boring and predicatable when it was a mere sports quiz but I preferred it to the glitzy celeb mime games they have now. They've tried too hard to change it and either messed around or added too many new rounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched the new series yet but saw the listing in the Radio Times and was totally confused.. why premiere it on Mondays at 10:30? What's with the "celebrity" involvement?

Total show kills for me. Part of the reason I liked AQoS was that often you had people on there that would rarely surface otherwise, a place where genuine sportsmen and women could have their moment in the sun.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »

I'm surprised at that, I would have have thought the whole series will already have been recorded.

I didn't see the first episode, but in this week's you could make out the audience in the background, is that different to the first week?
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    A Question of Sport died when David Coleman quit. Not the same since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    I've gone from quite liking matt dawson to absolutely loathing the smug tit he is now
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at that, I would have have thought the whole series will already have been recorded.

That was my first thought too. I thought they always recorded a few of these programmes back to back. At least they turned off the strobe lighting - it needed a health warning to watch it - and brought the audience nearer but they've still kept another part of the set which is very distracting.

I think the problem is the BBC employs these trendy arts graduates and then lets them play around with programmes. Crimewatch is another disaster. All those glass walls with writing on them and people in front of the presenters.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone from quite liking matt dawson to absolutely loathing the smug tit he is now
    I think Matt Dawson became smug after learning to dance and cook and I have also gone off him and the programme and for many years I never missed it and when I lived near Manchester I had spent quite a few Sunday afternoons at the recordings... when David Coleman was on! It's never been the same since he left!