Options

Smith & Jones - Homemade Xmas video

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
Forum Member
Just watched this on DVD. Fantastically funny and yet I don't recall ever seeing this repeated on TV at Xmas.

Anyone know why?

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure. I had it on tape and watched it loads, then lent it to someone and never saw it again.

It's full of funny stuff. I wonder if any kids watching it today would understand why the son having had the foresight to nick a box of plugs with the electrical goods is a good gag?
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reminding me of this.:D

Completely forgotten about it since the late 80s.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems such a long time ago but I do remember it being very funny.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Not sure. I had it on tape and watched it loads, then lent it to someone and never saw it again.

It's full of funny stuff. I wonder if any kids watching it today would understand why the son having had the foresight to nick a box of plugs with the electrical goods is a good gag?

Oh you mean the Sage and onion xmas special watched this today. Great show.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Alas Sage & Onion was the 1988 Christmas Special (loved the re-telling of the Nativity). The Homemade Xmas Video was from 1987. I have both copied from VHS from the time (although the Xmas Video was taped in Long Play and looks decidely dodgy on an HD telly!!) Are they now available on DVD?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Rodney wrote: »
    No, Alas Sage & Onion was the 1988 Christmas Special (loved the re-telling of the Nativity). The Homemade Xmas Video was from 1987. I have both copied from VHS from the time (although the Xmas Video was taped in Long Play and looks decidely dodgy on an HD telly!!) Are they now available on DVD?

Yes, its called At Last Smith and Jones and contains all the series as well.

The box of plugs gag was superb, but my highlight.....Uncle lens Xmas Head Scrambler, a punch topped off with Fairy liquid to give it a head!

Or maybe Dad's attempts to nail the xmas wreath to the front door..........oh there's just so much on it....
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this was the very first 'chav' comedy - way ahead of it's time.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodney wrote: »

Nope. Only a damn best of smith and jones is on dvd sad really a great duo that all series should be released oh well just have to stick to all my on air recordings.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grocerjack wrote: »
    Yes, its called At Last Smith and Jones and contains all the series as well.

The box of plugs gag was superb, but my highlight.....Uncle lens Xmas Head Scrambler, a punch topped off with Fairy liquid to give it a head!

Or maybe Dad's attempts to nail the xmas wreath to the front door..........oh there's just so much on it....

I've just remembered I have got this DVD !
    I think I'll watch it now. Thanks very much :D
    The thing is, it's called "At Last Smith & Jones Volume one"
    Was there ever a volume TWO ?
    Bonus feaures - Includes both BBC2 Christmas Specials (The Home-Made Xmas Video and Alas Sage And Onion) plus all four episodes of "Smith and Jones In Small Doses."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on you tube in four parts , search for the channel of snipturn and "THE HOME MADE XMAS VIDEO" 1986. Just watching now and the son is played by a very youthful Nigel Harman of Eastenders fame:D