Time for a European Games

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
Forum Member
✭✭
This was under discussion last year, will need some tweaks from some sports.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2011/04/do_we_need_european_games.html

I am not sure if we want it every other year but maybe a four year cycle. Could still have some separate events so smaller nations can bid for them.

First on any list
European Athletics Championship
European Swimming Championships
Tennis - Something on a level with ATP 250 or 500 event?
European Handball
Volleyball is currently on odd number years and any European Games would clash with Olympic or World Champs year.
Similar situation with Basketball and Hockey
Water Polo calendar is okay
Is their room or Badminton and Cycling
Do we have a limit of sports and include Elite Athletes with Disability

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was under discussion last year, will need some tweaks from some sports.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2011/04/do_we_need_european_games.html

I am not sure if we want it every other year but maybe a four year cycle. Could still have some separate events so smaller nations can bid for them.

First on any list
    European Athletics Championship
    European Swimming Championships
    Tennis - Something on a level with ATP 250 or 500 event?
    European Handball
    Volleyball is currently on odd number years and any European Games would clash with Olympic or World Champs year.
    Similar situation with Basketball and Hockey
    Water Polo calendar is okay
    Is their room or Badminton and Cycling
    Do we have a limit of sports and include Elite Athletes with Disability

For the UK though, would there be room for us to participate? We are involved in the Commonwealth and already enter the Commonwealth Games as our individual nations. This happens in the same year as the Winter Olympics and the World Cup. There is also the World Athletic Championships. Between all those you then have The Olympic games and the European Football tournaments.

If there were no Commonwealth Games then yes perhaps a European Games would work. But it wouldn't be viable from a British perspective.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    For the UK though, would there be room for us to participate? We are involved in the Commonwealth and already enter the Commonwealth Games as our individual nations. This happens in the same year as the Winter Olympics and the World Cup. There is also the World Athletic Championships. Between all those you then have The Olympic games and the European Football tournaments.

If there were no Commonwealth Games then yes perhaps a European Games would work. But it wouldn't be viable from a British perspective.

But even in Commonwealth and Olympic years we already compete in the European Athletics and Swimming so it just brings them in the same week/ten days. It is not adding anything in just trying to bring together things that occur every two years together with some that happen every four years.
    The trick is getting into the slot when European domestic football is winding down and the FIFA World Cup and UEFA Championship start to allow tine for Olympics or Commonwealths which are normally late July/early August.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the world needs any continent based Olympics (as soon as one does it, they'll all want one of their own). I like the fact that with any given event, you have local, national, continental, Commonwealth and other 'Empire' based games and World championships, all building up to the global Olympics. I think the continents are too small a stage to host anything like them. Staging any of these is a massive expensive and bureaucratic exercise for the hosts at whatever level you're involved in, and the last thing any country needs right now is more of that, and let's face it, the only reason anyone would seriously propose it is to make money from it. The sportsmanship would come way down the list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I don't think the world needs any continent based Olympics (as soon as one does it, they'll all want one of their own). I like the fact that with any given event, you have local, national, continental, Commonwealth and other 'Empire' based games and World championships, all building up to the global Olympics. I think the continents are too small a stage to host anything like them. Staging any of these is a massive expensive and bureaucratic exercise for the hosts at whatever level you're involved in, and the last thing any country needs right now is more of that, and let's face it, the only reason anyone would seriously propose it is to make money from it. The sportsmanship would come way down the list.

The Pan-American Games already exist and seem to do pretty well?

I think a European Games would be a good idea.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Olympics
    Commonwealth
    Worlds
    European

One per year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    The Pan-American Games already exist and seem to do pretty well?

I think a European Games would be a good idea.

Had to Google that. Not sure they're comparable to a European Games in terms of scale, seeing as they involve North and South America, not just one or the other. Maybe a pan-Euro Games, involving Europe and Asia/ Africa?
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Had to Google that. Not sure they're comparable to a European Games in terms of scale, seeing as they involve North and South America, not just one or the other. Maybe a pan-Euro Games, involving Europe and Asia/ Africa?

the asian games are the largest, it is because of the asian games, that many asian countries are winning medals in the Olympics.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    There are already...

Pan-American Games
    Asian Games
    All Africa Games

I'm sure a European Multi Sport Games could be slotted into the program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand corrected. I had no idea such continent by continent multi-event tournaments existed. I'm surprise anyone's got to time to fit them all in ! Still not sure I'm a fan of a European games, but that's because, as I mentioned previously, it would inevitably become all about the money and the bureaucracy.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

There is already a Pan African games - it was held last year in South Africa and is due to take place in Brazzaville in 2015. The last games had 5,000 athletes competing across 20 sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Africa_Games

You also have the Asian Games - next due to be held in 2014 in south Korea. The last games had nearly 10,000 athletes in over 30 sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Games

So every other continent bar Australsia has its own multi sport games event.

But I am not sure how you would organise it and make it competitve - and find a country willing to host an event requiring so many venues given how tough times are economically in Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand corrected. I had no idea such continent by continent multi-event tournaments existed. I'm surprise anyone's got to time to fit them all in ! Still not sure I'm a fan of a European games, but that's because, as I mentioned previously, it would inevitably become all about the money and the bureaucracy.

Isn't half the problem for all the talk of the USA being an insular looking country we are as bad?
    I don't think the media, even the broadsheets cover Pan American games, All African or Asian Games.
    And considering we have Sky Sports 1 to 4, Europsport 1 and 2 and ESPN and ESPN America, eight dedicated channels and I can;t recall a glimpse of any of these events.
    Before these game, really what did most of us know about Handball (and in my case I could not get into it), or did we realise how behind we are at Basketball (yes), Water Polo and Volleyball.
    Part of The Olympics (and an European Games) is maybe to introduce us to sports we would not know. Some of that could be down to previous Games being on BBC1 and with a four or five red button options, Now with new technology, during Rio I can watch Rugby 7's.
    However I wonder if we will get 24 channels on Cable and Satelite. I think we will get more feeds than before, but maybe not 24.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    European Olympics.

Sounds good to me.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thought of having an all-European games between the Olympics has crossed my mind, and it would be nice if it could happen.

Against this is that each sport has its won Euros and the importance could be diluted if mixed with others on the same date. Also sports (such as Curling) have a Euro and World championships every year, including Olympic years, so it's possible to be a Euro, World and Olympic champion within three months or so.

What should happen is that when a sport has a Euro championship, it should get greater prominence here (in the UK), even if we aren't competing. And GB should put bids in for the likes of volleyball, Water Polo and Handball, we've got the facilities.

Anyway, for those of us suffering withdrawl symptoms next week (no, football WON'T help) there is a beach-volleyball competition and the World u18's @ women's handball next weekend, tucked away on laola1.tv's live, and free, webcasts.

As I said, many Olympic sports have their Euro competitions which we don't see, even on Eurosport. The only way is often an expensive (and often unfathomable) European satellite system other than Sky, or to use the pirates. Perhaps the BBC should have a word with the host broadcaster of these events and ask if it can stream them on it's website/interactive for a few quid?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    The thought of having an all-European games between the Olympics has crossed my mind, and it would be nice if it could happen.

Against this is that each sport has its won Euros and the importance could be diluted if mixed with others on the same date. Also sports (such as Curling) have a Euro and World championships every year, including Olympic years, so it's possible to be a Euro, World and Olympic champion within three months or so.

As I said, many Olympic sports have their Euro competitions which we don't see, even on Eurosport. The only way is often an expensive (and often unfathomable) European satellite system other than Sky, or to use the pirates. Perhaps the BBC should have a word with the host broadcaster of these events and ask if it can stream them on it's website/interactive for a few quid?

But the question is the sum of the parts greater togther or separate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the question is the sum of the parts greater togther or separate.

It is with the olympics, and the commonwealths, but that's due to years of familiarity. A Euro games probably would work, and individual sports keep their share of the limelight, but would they take the risk? Also the earliest it could happen would be 2018 as sports have already contracted out venues up to 2016 and further, plus the building of athlete's villages etc.

I suppose two smaller countries could joint-bid, ie. Holland/Belgium, so that there would be a "villlage" near the main stadium (say, Brussels) but some of the events are outsourced - cycling in Rotterdam, volleyball in Antwerp etc, and everyone returns for the closing ceremony.

I hope it gets looked into.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting idea, but not without obstacles, the main ones being the already crowded sporting calendar and the current economic climate. The second issue will go away eventually ... we can hope. I think the best option would be to schedule the European event the year before the Olympics. They should incorporate already existing events such as the Athletics and Aquatics championships into the one event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just an update on the EOC thinking.
    They seem keen on European Games. Which guessing here would see the European Athletics and Swimming under it's remit every four years.
    Are we to late to see a 2018 edition?
    http://www.eurolympic.org/en/news/75-eoc/1340-eoc-ec-approves-plans-for-european-games.html
  • uls2000uls2000 Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So could London stage a 2018 games? The Stadium, Velodrome, Aquatics centre (albeit reduced capacity), Copper Box, O2, Excel, Eton Park hockey would all be ready and waiting, but where would the athletes stay? The 2012 village will be in normal residential use by then- use some kind of temporary accommodation on Hackney Marshes?

Good find by the way bluesdiamond on the EOC report, I thought the European Games idea had been dropped but I'm quite pleased it's still on the table
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem keen on European Games. Which guessing here would see the European Athletics and Swimming under it's remit every four years.
    http://www.eurolympic.org/en/news/75-eoc/1340-eoc-ec-approves-plans-for-european-games.html

One thing the EOC being in favour - understandably the national Olympic committees being pro this idea as it's another string to their bow but what about the sports governing bodies?

I think there is still sme way to go on this if it ever does come to fruition.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    So every other continent bar Australsia has its own multi sport games event.
    Oceania has the Pacific Games, which covers just about every country apart from Australia and New Zealand. Australasia isnt a continent, though its a region of Oceania.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Shock! Horror!! :eek: There's going to be a European Games after all and Azerbaijan, which clearly has too much money (held Eurovision) wants to hold it in 2015!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20648045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2015? Seems indecently early, but I suppose having it the year before Olympics (rather than 2) gives it extra importance - or does it dilute it as it's merely a pre-Olympics testing ground?

But I'm all for it, providing the sports concerned treat it as their major event outside the Olympics, rather just a clumsy addition to their already packed calendar.

And I hope football's nowhere to be seen!!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Shock! Horror!! :eek: There's going to be a European Games after all and Azerbaijan, which clearly has too much money

Azerbaijan as a country is a thin crust of rock sitting on top of a vast lake of oil.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    But I'm all for it, providing the sports concerned treat it as their major event outside the Olympics, rather just a clumsy addition to their already packed calendar.

It depends on the sports. The athletics and cycling calendar is crowded enough, but I think swimming, rowing, archery, canoeing etc need all the high profile events they can get.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to have been rushed through to me. Baku were the only city who 'bid' for it & I believe that Athletics, Swimmng & Gymnastics will not be involved for 2015. Without these big hitters am not sure how much TV & sponsorship interest there will be. Baku may be able to afford to host it without this money but for an event to grow & thrive this is crucial like it or not. Other countries/cities will only want to bid if the sums add up.

I would have thought the 2 years between the Olympics would be the best time to host it as well e.g. 2018 - probably the best time to get the IAAF & FINA on board with their World champs not being held that year.

Article from Athletics Weekly here - head of European Athletics explaining why 2015 is too soon. Makes sense when you have TV & sponsosrship deals in plce for he next few years that you won't tear this up for a fledgling competition.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/european-games-too-early-says-milz/