Options

Should police officers be more fit and have more muscle?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Every police officer I saw today had a small belly, looked unfit and slow if they were to run. Shouldn't the standard the police are training them to, if they are, be higher?

Comments

• Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean big belly?
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Do you mean big belly?

they weren't fat, just round
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, we're fast running out of fit young men we can hire. The army has the same problem. It's a sign of a society with no self discipline.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The female ones should definitely be "fit", but not muscley.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    steve781 wrote: »
    Trouble is, we're fast running out of fit young men we can hire. The army has the same problem. It's a sign of a society with no self discipline.
    What a load of crap, there are abled bodied lads but the police aren't recruiting as a result of recent cuts.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best friend is a female Police Officer. She is tiny, and looks like she couldn't do anything, but believe me, she can take down a rugby player looking bloke no problem. I have also been out for the night with her fellow PO's and although they don't look like they are going to win any body building competitions they are a hell of a lot fitter than you think they are. Also the ability to run has nothing really to do with size, watch any large marathon and you will see people that look like they can't even walk a mile out run others that look like perfect gym bods.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Ive just started getting to know a policeman a Sgt who is 6ft 4 and as fit as hell :) hes with special ops so has to be fit i guess.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police officers should be fit enough to chase offenders on foot without collapsing into a wheezing heap, and physically strong enough to restrain members of the public. What they actually look like is of little concern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    Police officers should be fit enough to chase offenders on foot without collapsing into a wheezing heap, and physically strong enough to restrain members of the public. What they actually look like is of little concern.

I'm training for a triathlon in July, run regular 10k's, cycle to work every day, consider myself at a decent fitness level.

If you saw the amount of stuff we have to carry at work, on top of our body armour, and then stick a pair of heavy boots which are NOT easy to run in... I would think quite a few people can give me the slip fit or not, also bear in mind the majority of times we chase someone they have a head start anyway !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All women police officers should look like Lucy Bates. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    All women police officers should look like Lucy Bates. :cool:

I had to Google this. Are you stuck in 1980 ? :D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the summer I worked closely alongside the police, they were all pretty much tactical squad and were all in great shape. I do, as did they, think that the standard of fitness amongst general police should be a lot higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the summer I worked closely alongside the police, they were all pretty much tactical squad and were all in great shape. I do, as did they, think that the standard of fitness amongst general police should be a lot higher.

I agree, I would fully support an annual fitness test, just doing one on joining is not good enough IMO... BUT, this image the OP has of police officers chasing people through the streets and catching up with them like in the films is a bit OTT, obviously it happens sometimes but it's more down to luck no matter how fit you are :D
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think policing should be left up to Men
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    My mate in GMP is a right fat boy. God knows how he chases villains. I trained hard with him too when he told us he was applying 15 years ago, helping him get fit for the fitness test with nightly shuttle runs up and down a steep hill near us. He does drink a lot off duty though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Policemen are the few people who SHOULD be fit and strong.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should not be under 6 foot. these small policemen are a joke
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    If they want to be taken seriously they should all have a moustache.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you stuck in 1980 ? :D

I wouldn't have minded getting stuck into Lucy Bates. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »

Even the female ones :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

blokes as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Even the female ones :confused:

Especially the female ones, what criminal wouldn't feel intimidated by a female chasing them with a large moustache?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially the female ones, what criminal wouldn't feel intimidated by a female chasing them with a large moustache?

I actually just spat my drink on the computer. Bravo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if she had her big black wiry beard poking out then even worse

:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually just spat my drink on the computer. Bravo.
    CatWolf wrote: »
    if she had her big black wiry beard poking out then even worse

:eek:

:D

Imagine the interrogation room! Crack those crims easily, they'd talk just to get away asap!