Options

Disabled jobseekers labelled as "Lying thieving bastards" by Work Programme provider

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to the Programme, it is the providers that are LTBs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh!! It's Mark Hoban,

He was the gimp at the end of the WCA debate who practically ignored all the points raised at the debate.
  • Options
    FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    According to the Programme, it is the providers that are LTBs.

Triage themselves admitted that the term "lying, thieving bastards" was used by the provider to describe disabled benefit claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well thankfully I think that programme was on the side of the disabled and showed the Work Providers for what they really are, LTBs :)
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Don't see the big deal myself.

I seem to recall that hospital staff use similarly derogatory acronyms on internal paperwork.

I guess it upsets people when the joke gets out but would it really make any difference if a person was, instead, referred to as UFB for "Unqualified For Benefits" instead?
    You don't see the big deal about an honest, decent, person being labelled a lying, thieving, bastard because they are sick or have a disability?

What's wrong with it is it strips people of their dignity and humanity and it's done by the very staff who are supposed to be helping.

I'd say the liars and thieves are the ones enjoying their taxpayer-funded salaries and not doing the job they're supposed to, whether that's within the NHS or a work program scheme.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will change, the government won't do anything. Attitudes towards mental health in this country are s**t!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LTB could also stand for "long term benefits" ~ just a thought.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    LTB could also stand for "long term benefits" ~ just a thought.

True...
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    The people who work in those places are lucky to be employed anyway, they're so retarded. I took my mother to see about something to do with her disability allowance and the woman was really rude with her until I told her to watch her attitude. (She then threatened to call security but the lad on the door looked like the only thing he grappled daily was several pies)

That's rich, threatening to call security, even though she was rude to you!
  • Options
    MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly I'm aghast and simply disgusted. My mum's registered as disabled having been a long time sufferer of Arthritis. She may be at home, but she tells me on occasions how she was a Supervisor in her 20s and could have gone further in life that may have given my brother and I a better quality of life.

She's paid more than her fair share of taxes and contributions.

What culture and society we live in today where it clearly outlines that there really are cruel people out there living in existence that don't spare a thought of compassion for others less fortunate than themselves.

And for someone to come on the internet and pass this off as no big deal, it makes my blood boil in all honesty.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    That's rich, threatening to call security, even though she was rude to you!

They rely on their status of having a job as opposed to the person across the desk not having one to try and lord it over them. Having no such restriction as needing a job, I wasn't going to put up with this harridan's snotty manner, and she was told to be civil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Panorama: The Great Disability Scam? is now available on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qgk9h/Panorama_The_Great_Disability_Scam/
  • Options
    tonywilsontonywilson Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    The way the staff act in Triage is unbelievable, they disrespect every client who walks through the door.

Everything said about Triage is true. More was said in the documentary that wasn't in the final edit and I wouldn't be surprised if they did a follow up.

I'm proud to have been a small part of the documentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tonywilson wrote: »
    The way the staff act in Triage is unbelievable, they disrespect every client who walks through the door.

Everything said about Triage is true. More was said in the documentary that wasn't in the final edit and I wouldn't be surprised if they did a follow up.

I'm proud to have been a small part of the documentary.

Can you give an insight into what was left out? What do you know that they didn't broadcast?

Also your contribution was very good, don't let the disgusting work programme providers get you down :)

There is a thread about the television programme in the TV section here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=63939844

This is a very informative website:

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More was said about the effects that the stress of being treated so badly by Triage has on people like myself. I mentioned both my self harm and a suicide attempt.

It really should have been a 60 minute show and they should have sent clients into Triage with hidden cameras.

Since I took part in the doc Triage have practically rolled out the red carpet for me. They finally told me my rights regarding the WRAG and now I am classed as an inactive client of Triage and no longer have to attend meetings. As I had my support worker with me at this meeting she was amazed at the information they gave me and it is going to help so many of her clients.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Absolutely disgusting. We should not treat the sick and disabled this way.

I dont know why the OP has put that in the thread title since the name was put to everyone as the link included states, not just disabled people.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    If this is confirmed as true then yes, its disgusting and offensive to the nth degree.

I'm guessing that Triage may be leaving the programme!

They wont be leaving, in return they will get more contracts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly I think if Triage do anything they will just re-brand and carry on with their same old behaviour.:mad:
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watched the programme as yet so it's a bit premature to comment but anyone I know who has to attend meetings at the JobCentre or similar gets the feeling that they are being looked down on and talked down to. This doesn't help people who have self-esteem issues and are genuinely wanting to get back into employment and need a bit of help and encouragement to do so.

It will be my turn soon as I am coming out of education (mature student) and will be job-hunting. I am also disabled and a carer so feel very anxious about being forced into something that I cannot cope with even though I have a lot to offer and am very keen to work. Hell, I'd be happy to do voluntary work so long as it was fulfilling in some way and led to employment.

Thankfully, I'm quite articulate and if anyone did try to talk down to me I would hopefully have the 'words' to respond in kind without giving them reason to intimidate me. It would be so much better, though, if people could just show a little respect to each other. Surely it would make their day better if they made a bit more effort to be civil to their clients, who would hopefully respond more positively? That's a bit idealistic of me, perhaps, but the woman who commented "Well get a job then...I managed it" in earshot of the poster above is typical of someone who is 'up the ladder' and quite enjoys looking down on others. Her remarks were unnecessary, unprofessional and she should have been pulled up over it.

If any of these people thought of me as a lying, thieving bastard just because they can't be bothered to read between the lines I would genuinely be very upset. I know there are those who will screw the benefits system for all they can get without due cause but there is a tendency to pigeonhole these along with those who do not.
  • Options
    ftsemonksftsemonks Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Lets see the program first and the context it's used in. Programs like this have been known to mislead the viewer for the sake of presenting a predetermined point of view

Never trust the BLOODY TORIES. I Know BLOODY TORIES don't like me saying this, BUT
    NEVER Trust the BLOODY TORIES
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to get referred to the Work Programme next week I think, but I can't actually get there because I'm agoraphobic and it's in the city centre so I'm screwed. I'm planning to set up my own business so if I sign up for the New Enterprise Allowance thing before next week do I avoid it?

The disability advisor told me I'd actually have to have officially set up a business by next week to avoid the shitty city centre Work Programme, but she's told me other fibs so god knows if it's true.

She says if I sign up to Work Choices that gets me out of the Work Programme, but that just involves spending 8 hours a week staring at a PC screen on a different floor in the same shitty building in the city centre that the Work Programme is on.

They seem to have a great objection to me setting up a damn business, when clearly setting up a business from home is the best available option for someone with bloody agoraphobia. :confused:
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    If any of these people thought of me as a lying, thieving bastard just because they can't be bothered to read between the lines I would genuinely be very upset.

I don't think not calling people lying thieving bastards really requires any reading between the lines. :confused:
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftsemonks wrote: »
    Never trust the BLOODY TORIES. I Know BLOODY TORIES don't like me saying this, BUT
    NEVER Trust the BLOODY TORIES

Thanks for that. I was going to vote for the Tories at the next election, but after reading your concise and well constructed argument for not doing so, I'll now look for some other party to give my vote to.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Must be a mistake, it's the tories who are that.