Options

Handshakes - anyone else not like them?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer to bow myself. That way you can not be concerned about whether the person has washed his or her hands recently

Unfortunately bowing will bring your face close their private parts, which brings its own hazards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for an interview once where the woman shook my hand way too hard (I am also a woman).

I can't say I particularly warmed to her at all during the interview either. She seemed completely up her own ass and a complete bitch. I'm really grateful I didn't get the job even though it was paying well.

I have had weak handshakes too and this isn't great either.

But the too hard was definitely worse in my eyes. Each to their own though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer to bow myself. That way you can not be concerned about whether the person has washed his or her hands recently and avoid those who think it a lark to try to break your fingers.

Bow :eek::confused:

i wouldn't bow, i'd rather shake a hand... never had someone try to break my fingers lol :D
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,173
    Forum Member
    I can't bear them. It feels so unnecessarily intimate when you're just meeting someone.
    The hands are such a dirty part of the body, imagine all the places they have touched throughout the day, including every single door handle that loads of other people will have touched. Germs germs germs.

Plus mine are always either hot and sweaty or really cold. It is funny giving someone a handshake with a freezing cold hand though. :D Serves them right.
    But I usually give a rather limp grip so that they don't suffer too much.

I'd rather just wave at them. lol

This totally. I have quite a lot of meetings so best not to think about it too much as it totally grosses me out.

People who have clammy hands..... why? :(
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Unfortunately bowing will bring your face close their private parts, which brings its own hazards.

I think you've been overdoing your bows.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    This totally. I have quite a lot of meetings so best not to think about it too much as it totally grosses me out.

People who have clammy hands..... why? :(

Probably nerves, some of the time anyway
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I went for an interview once where the woman shook my hand way too hard (I am also a woman).

I can't say I particularly warmed to her at all during the interview either. She seemed completely up her own ass and a complete bitch. I'm really grateful I didn't get the job even though it was paying well.

I have had weak handshakes too and this isn't great either.

But the too hard was definitely worse in my eyes. Each to their own though :)
    I shudder when I see a woman shaking hands.

I'd never initiate a handshake with a woman and always feel as though they are just trying a wee bit too hard to be "one of the guys" when they present their hand to me for shaking. The ones that do usually wear a "business suit" and over-do the football talk!

A hello and a nice smile to/from a woman should suffice.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bear them. It feels so unnecessarily intimate when you're just meeting someone.

My face says "Revlon" and my eyes say "f*ck me", you can't get more intimate than that!
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

I'd never initiate a handshake with a woman and always feel as though they are just trying a wee bit too hard to be "one of the guys" when they present their hand to me for shaking. The ones that do usually wear a "business suit" and over-do the football talk!

Sexist much? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

You sound like Al Murray's Pub Landlord here...lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

trying to be *one of the guys* you sure about that!!

& you actually shudder! my goodness :D

it's just a form of greeting.. i wouldn't look too deep into it

do you still like your women cooking & cleaning for you barefoot & pregnant at the sink :rolleyes::p
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    do you still like your women cooking & cleaning for you barefoot & pregnant at the sink :rolleyes::p
    Show me a man who says he doesn't and I'll show you a liar! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the hell bows?! If I walked in to a meeting or something and people started bowing I would think it was totally absurd!

I hate shaking hands though, all I can think when I am forced to do so is 'where is my sanitizer?!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Show me a man who says he doesn't and I'll show you a liar! ;)

*slap around the head* :mad: :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spontaneous handshakes are the best
  • Options
    Radio-ActiveRadio-Active Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    If I bowed, I'd worry I'd knock them on their head if I accidentally bowed too far forward *doh* lol :D
    And if they had nits it might cause concern!
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    I like to curtsey :D
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if they had nits it might cause concern!

:eek::(
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer to bow myself. That way you can not be concerned about whether the person has washed his or her hands recently and avoid those who think it a lark to try to break your fingers.

Yes. I do a formal curtsey, sometimes. It really throws them.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...avoid those who think it a lark to try to break your fingers.

What you mean is that you have a wet-fish handshake, and you feel inferior when gripped by a hearty grip handshake don't you?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If the average person fingers their bum hole rather than their mouth, just before giving you a handshake, there would most likely be fewer germs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    If the average person fingers their bum hole rather than their mouth, just before giving you a handshake, there would most likely be fewer germs.

I've suddenly gone right off handshakes.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I dislike human contact so that I no to handshakes.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handshakes are good, but sometimes my and the person I'm greeting's hands don't connect properly and I'm left sort of floundering with a semi-handshake. It's happened a few times and I don't know what the correct course of action is.
    - Remove hands and start again?
    - Try and wriggle my hand into the proper handshake position?
    - Do nothing and leave the other person thinking I have a very limp, peculiar handshake?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind hand shakes, only bad experience was my friends dad over in the Czech Republic, thought he was going to squeeze my hand into nothingness. Real men out there. Ouch.