Options

Up to 1000 households per day stop paying TV licence

Comments

• Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    So...when people moan about the 40p a day per household for the BBC.
    No it's very expensive when you compare it to the alternatives. Such as Netflix at only 19p a day and that also has no adverts. Even sky's NowTV entertainment pass is only 23p a day.

You have to get out of this old fashioned mindset that TV comes via a aerial or a dish only.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Not manipulated at all. Taken straight from Sky's website. I am merely pointing out the excellent value of the BBC now and that that would be lost with a privatised BBC. We would all be paying umpteen times more for a BBC that was no longer the BBC.

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/new

So Family Bundle is £36.00...then I also want Sky Sports (£25.50), Sky Movies (£9.00) and HD Pack (£5.25). All that comes to a total of £71.25 a month! or £855.00 a year...so slightly under £900 but not much.

So...when people moan about the 40p a day per household for the BBC, when compared with Sky's £2.38 a day per household, it is nothing is it...and the BBC invested much more in original UK programming and it has no ads. It's a no brainer. We are all better off with the Beeb than without it.
    You are manipulating costs by choosing the most expensive packages.

Sky is 65p a day for the Original bundle - I'm assuming you saw that on their website and conveniently chose to ignore it.

As pointed out before, if you want a valid comparison you have to compare like for like, the Original bundle is the closest you'll get, it's the entry pack that includes all BBC channels and commercial channels covered by the TVL, other channels are included as is catchup, so for value it could be regarded as better value.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love looking at the little thug through my peep hole when he sticks yet another of his pathetic begging letters through my letter box all in red (LOL) with "another visit will be arranged" scawled on it. Hahaha idiots. You've been doing that for 20 + years. Even if you did sit & wait for me to go into my flat I'd shut the door in your face.

The rest of you BBC sycophants can fund my BBC channels, I'm certainly not.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
    Forum Member
    Rowey wrote: »
    No it's very expensive when you compare it to the alternatives. Such as Netflix at only 19p a day and that also has no adverts. Even sky's NowTV entertainment pass is only 23p a day.

You have to get out of this old fashioned mindset that TV comes via a aerial or a dish only.

And very little original content on Netflix, how about news & current affairs, FA Cup, shows like Strictly I guess they are included in the subscription.

Now TV entertainment pass includes ITV Encore which I believe are repeats of ITV aired programmes, Sky 1 isn't exactly top notch with 2-3 hours of The Simpsons a day. Again no news or current affairs....want sport no problem at an extra £6.99 a day or the cheaper option of £571.48p a year.

What you actually mean is that there are broadcasters who know there are mugs who will pay way over the odds for such things as Netflix or NOW TV plus broadband connection. As far as I am aware there is no law stopping you draining your resources by subscribing to Netflix.

You are paying for the equivalent of the cartoon strips, horoscopes and crossword puzzles from a paper and that's your freedom but don't try and con people into thinking its the same as an entire newspaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Sky is 65p a day for the Original bundle - I'm assuming you saw that on their website and conveniently chose to ignore it.

As pointed out before, if you want a valid comparison you have to compare like for like, the Original bundle is the closest you'll get, it's the entry pack that includes all BBC channels and commercial channels covered by the TVL, other channels are included as is catchup, so for value it could be regarded as better value.

Hold on a minute, that's an additional 65-70p a day for just Sky content remove the licence fee covered channels then Sky would still charge 65-70p a day and a very large chunk of that Sky entertainment viewers are forced to pay towards Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With respect, you've selected the cheapest package (which is still more expensive than the licence fee), in other words...no Sky Sports are included. It is a fair assumption to make that if there was no BBC, all sport would be on Sky.

So:
    Original Bundle is £21.50 (no sport) or £258 a year. With sport..., it's £552 a year!
    Family Bundle (because I'd want the HD channels) is £36.00 (no sport) or £432 a year!
    With Sky Sports, it's £61.50 or £738 a year.

I put it to you, that which ever way you cut the cake, you are over a hundred pounds a year worse off with Sky than you are with the BBC...and you still have adverts. That is unaffordable for most. With Sky, it's pay a whole load more for less content plus ads. How on earth is that an improvement on Freeview/Freesat/Youview?

I noticed that 5HD is part of the family bundle. That should be available free-to-air. Why isn't it? Greed on the part of Channel 5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love looking at the little thug through my peep hole when he sticks yet another of his pathetic begging letters through my letter box all in red (LOL) with "another visit will be arranged" scawled on it. Hahaha idiots. You've been doing that for 20 + years. Even if you did sit & wait for me to go into my flat I'd shut the door in your face.

The rest of you BBC sycophants can fund my BBC channels, I'm certainly not.

...which is why the Broadcasting Levy needs to replace the licence fee!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just paid for a TV licence and now wish i did not, so I am going to give it a month and see what it is like and then cancel it again, I have no idea why I went for it.

Because to be honest, for £140 a year, there is nothing on the BBc worth watching for that amount.
    I think the reason I went for it was to have a look at motors TV, but that is not that great,.
    The most interesting thing I found to watch so far in the two day since I got the licence was some soap box racing on Dave.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and take it from where? general taxation? which is paid by fewer people than the license

council tax is paid by fewer people than own a license and pay for it themselves, not everyone has broadband

your argument has more holes than swiss cheese
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »

But of course with Netflix it's NOT just 19p a day, you have to factor in the BB and Landline costs too, which not everyone has, and anyway having checked out Netflix a while ago, there is nothing to shout home about there anyway ! TV via Satellite / Cable and Aerial will be here for many a year yet, and is still the most reliable method of delivery
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and take it from where? general taxation? which is paid by fewer people than the license

council tax is paid by fewer people than own a license and pay for it themselves, not everyone has broadband

your argument has more holes than swiss cheese

The vast, vast majority of the population has broadband. I would add it to the line rental, telephone, broadband bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast, vast majority of the population has broadband. I would add it to the line rental, telephone, broadband bill.

So your line rental will cost you even more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    But of course with Netflix it's NOT just 19p a day, you have to factor in the BB and Landline costs too, which not everyone has, and anyway having checked out Netflix a while ago, there is nothing to shout home about there anyway ! TV via Satellite / Cable and Aerial will be here for many a year yet, and is still the most reliable method of delivery

But as Ash said, the majority of people have broadband, ok not all got the quality of broadband required for streaming, but it is getting there.

97% of the people I know have broadband, maybe even more.

Nothing to shout home about on the BBc either, I can find more to watch on Netflix than on the BBC,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With respect, you've selected the cheapest package (which is still more expensive than the licence fee), in other words...no Sky Sports are included. It is a fair assumption to make that if there was no BBC, all sport would be on Sky.

So:
    Original Bundle is £21.50 (no sport) or £258 a year. With sport..., it's £552 a year!
    Family Bundle (because I'd want the HD channels) is £36.00 (no sport) or £432 a year!
    With Sky Sports, it's £61.50 or £738 a year.

I put it to you, that which ever way you cut the cake, you are over a hundred pounds a year worse off with Sky than you are with the BBC...and you still have adverts. That is unaffordable for most. With Sky, it's pay a whole load more for less content plus ads. How on earth is that an improvement on Freeview/Freesat/Youview?

I noticed that 5HD is part of the family bundle. That should be available free-to-air. Why isn't it? Greed on the part of Channel 5?
    I chose the cheapest pack because that is the closest pack for a comparison. Choosing top tier packages is meaningless and pointless, unless you are that desperate to put as much distance between provider costs to make it look better value. Why are you including the sports channels? The BBC do not carry separate sports channels. There is sport on certain channels in the original pack, just as sport is shown on the BBC. Remember, like for like for a valid comparison.

Original bundle has just been reduced to £20 month

HD channels are included, they are fta.

5HD is subsidised by Sky.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no they dont.

so someone could cancel their broadband and still watch tv for free? or is broadband a legal requirement in your mixed up utopia?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I just paid for a TV licence and now wish i did not, so I am going to give it a month and see what it is like and then cancel it again, I have no idea why I went for it.

Because to be honest, for £140 a year, there is nothing on the BBc worth watching for that amount.
    I think the reason I went for it was to have a look at motors TV, but that is not that great,.
    The most interesting thing I found to watch so far in the two day since I got the licence was some soap box racing on Dave.

I'm glad your watching TV legally noise, well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I chose the cheapest pack because that is the closest pack for a comparison. Choosing top tier packages is meaningless and pointless, unless you are that desperate to put as much distance between provider costs to make it look better value. Why are you including the sports channels? The BBC do not carry separate sports channels. There is sport on certain channels in the original pack, just as sport is shown on the BBC. Remember, like for like for a valid comparison.

Original bundle has just been reduced to £20 month

HD channels are included, they are fta.

5HD is subsidised by Sky.

If there was no BBC (which there wouldn't be if it was privatised) all sport would be on Sky, so the majority of people would be forced to pay extra to get it...hence why I included it within my calculations.

The BBC is not allowed to carry a sports channel, which has been mentioned to you already, however, it does carry sport...so it is right to include the cost of Sky Sports in any calculations relating to Sky.

You're attempting to make Sky look as cheap as possible which of course is not true as I have pointed out.

When I refer to HD, I refer to the majority of HD channels which are not on YouView which you have to pay top whack to Sky to get hold of them. It is appalling that 5HD is not on YouView. It should be. It means if I want it, I have to pay hundreds to Mr Murdoch to get access. Not on, not acceptable. It really smacks of greed on the part of both parties.

No...the licence fee is much better value. It maintains all the right and necessary values and ethos associated with the BBC too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your line rental will cost you even more.

My Talk Talk bill could be as follows:

Line Rental - £16.70
    Fibre - £5.00
    Youview, Calls and Broadband - £19.00
    Broadcasting Levy - £10.00
    Total - £45.70 (I've taken out Fibre as not everyone would need that)

Quite straight forward really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I'm glad your watching TV legally noise, well done.

Are you saying that I was breaking the law before? i was within the law.
    Anyway do not get too excited as i said i am going to cancel it again, i knew I should have have stayed the way I was, I just wasted £24 for crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If there was no BBC (which there wouldn't be if it was privatised) all sport would be on Sky, so the majority of people would be forced to pay extra to get it...hence why I included it within my calculations.

The BBC is not allowed to carry a sports channel, which has been mentioned to you already, however, it does carry sport...so it is right to include the cost of Sky Sports in any calculations relating to Sky.

You're attempting to make Sky look as cheap as possible which of course is not true as I have pointed out.

When I refer to HD, I refer to the majority of HD channels which are not on YouView which you have to pay top whack to Sky to get hold of them. It is appalling that 5HD is not on YouView. It should be. It means if I want it, I have to pay hundreds to Mr Murdoch to get access. Not on, not acceptable. It really smacks of greed on the part of both parties.

No...the licence fee is much better value. It maintains all the right and necessary values and ethos associated with the BBC too.
    We are comparing providers, not what would happen if there was no BBC.

If there was no BBC Sport would be tendered out to other channels, Ofcom does not allow a monopoly.

I'm showing a valid comparison between the TVL and a pay tv company, I have no agenda.

As pointed out to you, there are channels on Sky that show sport, just like the BBC. Like for like.

If you want HD channels not available through the TVL then you need to do a different comparison, which has nothing to do with the TVL and the BBC.

As with content, channels, providers, it's a matter of option which is regarded as quality, prefered and better value.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How many more times do you have to be told, the TV Licence is to receive live broadcasts, you pay the TV Licencing Authority the same as you pay the DVLA for a driving licence it doesn't mean the money is spent on speed cameras.

How the money is distributed is decided by the government of the day.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying that I was breaking the law before? i was within the law.
    Anyway do not get too excited as i said i am going to cancel it again, i knew I should have have stayed the way I was, I just wasted £24 for crap.

I don't know if you were breaking the law.

So in two days you found not one BBC programme to watch... I find that hard to believe.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming you are not being an attention seeker with this then surely youi would have been quite familiar with the programmes on offer from the BBC before you took the bold move of decideding to be a law adiding citizen instead of a leech.

As another poster has said I find it VERY doubtful that you couldn't find anything to watch in 2 days.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit the only thing i watch on the bbc is holby and casualty. Everything else i watch is on other channels on sky.
  • Options
    Bless YouBless You Posts: 4,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to when I can replace my tv, cancel my tv licence and just watch on catch-up.