Options

Why are Yorkshire people so obsessed with Yorkshire?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I live in Cheshire and as such I’m rather posh and wealthy;

....... unlike ‘the great unwashed’ from the rest of the North.

Northern Calypso.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Me? Yes! I said earlier I miss Leicestershire. I lived there for years!!! I actually think people in the East Midlands are perfectly friendly. When we moved I remember my Mum thought the people were weird, but as I lived there from being a kid I never found any difference between Yorkshire folk and Leicestershire folk, except the accent.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I thought I was replying to the Yorkshire person living in Leicestershire who hates it. This is what happens when you jump on DS at work, on the sly.

Totally agree, East Midlanders are very friendly people.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire Airlines

I shouldn't laugh but.. ugh the peas

ah nuts, i see bri160356 has beaten me to the punch :)
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazed me when some people on this forum mentioned how Birmingham looked so contrete/grey, when I thought how much better it looks than a lot of other areas especially some London areas.

Lately I've a new girlfriend from Halifax, West Yorkshire, she talks about it as if its the best place in the country. Yet when I've looked on google street view... its all the same, VERY old fashioned brown/grey EVERYTHING, even loads of the lamp posts are still concrete. I thinks to myself: wow Yorkshire is a dump these days or what? how come some people moan about Birmingham...

I don't even rate Birmingham, being from a council estate in Stourbridge I'd never ever dream of raising a family in most of Birmingham.

Can't complain though, you know... don't want to be seen as racist and all. After all, we've let in so many poor foreigners who don't give a shit about this country, working here sending money back to their country of origin, you know.. benefiting our country because we don't have enough workers while the rich get richer as the economy grows all because the rich folks banks accounts get bigger and the poor take on jobs for minimum wage and zero hour contracts.

Speak to any old person, this country used to be way way better than what it is today. Yorkshire used to be great, like all/most other British towns.
  • Options
    creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    It amazed me when some people on this forum mentioned how Birmingham looked so contrete/grey, when I thought how much better it looks than a lot of other areas especially some London areas.

Lately I've a new girlfriend from Halifax, West Yorkshire, she talks about it as if its the best place in the country. Yet when I've looked on google street view... its all the same, VERY old fashioned brown/grey EVERYTHING, even loads of the lamp posts are still concrete. I thinks to myself: wow Yorkshire is a dump these days or what? how come some people moan about Birmingham...

I don't even rate Birmingham, being from a council estate in Stourbridge I'd never ever dream of raising a family in most of Birmingham.

Can't complain though, you know... don't want to be seen as racist and all. After all, we've let in so many poor foreigners who don't give a shit about this country, working here sending money back to their country of origin, you know.. benefiting our country because we don't have enough workers while the rich get richer as the economy grows all because the rich folks banks accounts get bigger and the poor take on jobs for minimum wage and zero hour contracts.

Speak to any old person, this country used to be way way better than what it is today. Yorkshire used to be great, like all/most other British towns.

Where In Halifax ? , I was born in Halifax General (live in the Calder Valley), and I don't see how you can compare Mixenden and Hebden Bridge
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »

Concrete lampposts can still be found not too far from you. Dudley and Sandwell councils still have them, and there are some in Worcestershire. I saw some in Burton on Trent recently too.

Up here you won't see any at all in Wakefield or Leeds at all now, but Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees councils haven't totally got rid of theirs yet.

You're right about Halifax though, it's a bit grey. The town centre is nice though, as is the Piece Hall. The Calder Valley has some lovely places though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Yorkshire Airlines

I shouldn't laugh but.. ugh the peas

ah nuts, i see bri160356 has beaten me to the punch :)

:p I like the Yorkshireteers http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOW5h4eMcBY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark 1974 I think I know what you mean about the litter now. I have just driven through Eastmoor and it seems it is bin day...brown bin day. it appears like the bin men have failed to empty the bins properly tipping half of it over the roads and verges