I can't understand how to work Gumtree.

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really need some help here please. I wanted to put a bike ad on Gumtree. I somehow managed to open Gumtree from Google Chrome. I succeeded in placing my ad but, at that time I had no photos to include with the description. The next day I took some pics of the bike and, somehow, I managed to open my ad, I'm not sure how I managed it, but I did. I dragged and dropped 3 shots of the bike, the rotating circle indicating each photo download onto the ad space. So there it seemed, was my ad, with the three different pics of my bike. Later on, I decided to pay to to have greater exposure, I tried, with difficulty, to open my ad, because there didn't appear to be any options or guidance. Eventually I managed to find my ad but, where the picture of my bike should have been (a square box), there was nothing, no picture seems to have downloaded. Three more time I went through the same procedure of dragging and dropping the bike pics into the square frames provided, and each time they appeared to download (the rotating circle indicating this) but, each time I closed the ad and then reopened it, the pics had/have disappeared. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

The only way I know to open Gumtree, is to type "Gumtree" into the Google search panel, when it opens, I'm confronted with a number of different Gumtree links. Can someone tell me which link I should click on to get the one for placing adverts, and how do I download pictures of the item for sale. At the moment I'm up my very own gumtree, and need some help please. :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.gumtree.com

You just login, and there'll be an orange button that you click on to place the add.

Are you using an android device or a desktop computer/laptop, obviously the photo's you have should be stored on that device?
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always used the iPhone gumtree app, so much easier and quicker than using the website, infact I didn't need a pc or the website at all, I wrote the ad and added all the pictures that I'd taken with my phone into the ad and posted it up
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re post you ad at least twice a day to keep it near the top, unless you want to pay.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Sold something on there recently, got a few messages from people giving their number and asking me to call them!

I ignored them.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    Sold something on there recently, got a few messages from people giving their number and asking me to call them!

I ignored them.

i use GT a lot and i get spam texts 3-4 times a week offering me more than the asking price, always with a hyperlink in the text

i just ignore
  • DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    http://www.gumtree.com

You just login, and there'll be an orange button that you click on to place the add.

Are you using an android device or a desktop computer/laptop, obviously the photo's you have should be stored on that device?

I am using a laptop using Vista. The images (of a bike) that I want to include with its description are in Vista's Pictures folder.

As I said in my original post on this problem, I am now able to open my ad, and to make this easier in future, I have put a s/c on the desktop. The ad opens showing my description of the item, just as I typed it. It also shows how much I want for the item and, as a contact point, it shows my email address. The ad is complete, except for having no photos. There is an area in the ad to "drag and drop" photos of the item being advertised. So I open Pictures , where I have saved suitable images of the bike.

I now have the advert and Pictures on the screen, side by side. I select a photo of the item for sale from Pictures and drag and drop it into one of the nine areas provided for pictures. I observe the rotating circle that indicates the pic is downloading. Eventually, when I have finished dragging and dropping, I am left with the completed advert containing both the typed details and the photos I have just dragged and dropped. Everything looks fine. I close the ad.

Then, to see if it all went well........... I reopen my ad., and there it is: with all the typed description, the price, my contact details but NO PHOTOS

I don't know how I can make it any clearer than what I have described.
    The only other thing I did notice this evening, as I scrolled down the ad page to see if I had missed anything, was an instruction, at the very bottom of the page, to click on POST MY AD but, I could not find a button that carried those words. There was one that said POST AN AD, but that was an invitation to put an ad into Gumtree, not to submit an existing ad, I know this, because I tried it.

I am completely mystified as to what I have to do to simply add pictures to the printed details of an ad which has been successfully recorded.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Looking at Gumtree support - adding images to your ad, it appears that they have a problem with this right now and are working hard to get it fixed: http://help.gumtree.com/articles/General_Information/Adding-Images-to-your-Advert?retURL=%2Fapex%2FknowledgeProduct%3Fc%3DEditing_your_ad&popup=false&at=Adding

You could try uploading the pics to the site instead of drag & drop, and you would do this in a similar way to how I described uploading to imgur, in your previous thread about the linen jacket (Post #22).