Options

In tennis doubles why do they . . .

CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
always have to touch each others hand after every point whether they win or lose.

Are there any doubles players out there who can enlighten me?

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is like 10 pin bowlers do to "pass on the strike". Personally, i think they look bloody daft
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is like 10 pin bowlers do to "pass on the strike". Personally, i think they look bloody daft

Well so do I (which is why I asked the question). I could just about understand it if they are celebrating a brilliant shot but it doesn't seem to matter even if they have lost the point they still do it :confused:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is just to encourage each other and so that they make sure they go up to each other and maybe talk tactics. In normal club doubles noone does it, but i imagine it helps with the communication between the pair which is essential at that level.
    Of course it could be that some well known doubles pair started it and of course did well and others followed or they copied from another sport.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why at Wimbledon do they refer to the women as 'Miss .....' but the men just by their surname as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wimbledon Miss thing is more 'polite' and any English thing you see even in the old days - they would call the boys by their surname and the women 'miss'. Wimbledon just carry that on.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Or it could be the result of a cold as in:
    A customer enters a pet shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
    Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

:D
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    priggy wrote: »
    The wimbledon Miss thing is more 'polite' and any English thing you see even in the old days - they would call the boys by their surname and the women 'miss'. Wimbledon just carry that on.

...much the same as when I was at school (in the 70s/early 80s), they called the girls by their first names and the boys by their surnames when calling the register - and they did the girls first, then the boys, rather than just having an alphabetical class list...seems really odd to think of that now, it's so old-fashioned....
    (sorry, I know it's off topic, I was just reminded of it by the 'Miss' thing...)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do they call married women players 'Mrs'........?

Or would they, if any of them were married.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

yeah, in the Wimbledon honour roll at the back of the programme it goes from saying Miss C Evert to Mrs J Lloyd.
    At the bottom it gives their maiden names so you can tell who it is. I think most women keep their maiden name for work coz its just easier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Earlier in the summer I played a league match where the opponents tapped their racquets together after each point. It was very annoying!
  • Options
    Paul_BlackburnPaul_Blackburn Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why at Wimbledon is it called Gentlemens Singles and Doubles not mens singles and doubles like the other four grand slam tournaments.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Austin reckoned it was to help them gee each other up and stay positive.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

It was "Mrs Mirza" all through the women's doubles final last night, though she's married to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP here. I have literally no memory of starting this thread!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    OP here. I have literally no memory of starting this thread!!!

The hand-slapping has gotten so much worse in those 8 years.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    It's extremely annoying. I even saw them doing it after each chat between the points.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The hand-slapping has gotten so much worse in those 8 years.

i was watching some doubles and liz smilie was commentating and she wanted it to be banned absolutely loathed it :D
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i was watching some doubles and liz smilie was commentating and she wanted it to be banned absolutely loathed it :D

Saw Liz playing with Shriver (the old guard) against Kournikova and Likotseva (the new ones) a while back and neither pair did any of this irritating hand touching or chatting.

Tennis is very faddish in its' evolution and I remember back in 92/3, when I was doing some travelling between jobs and watching the Grand Slam and various build up events in each country beforehand and it was Gigi Fernandez and Natalia Zereva who were #1 in the World at that time, who used to chat endlessly between points.

Bit by bit, this chat and also a hand touch has become the norm in doubles.

I can't bear it and agree with Liz. Give them 10 seconds between points and get rid of it.

Doubles has been struggling for years to attract anyone to watch it as the top players don't play it anymore. For me, these team building oriented rituals between points are a barrier to watching; I switch off.

Newcombe and Roche, perhaps one of the greatest doubles teams in the game's history just needed a word or the occasional sign between them. Let's get back to that.

Other fads in the modern game which should be banned;

1. The TOWEL - Totally unnecessary. Interestingly, Serena doesn't use one. Good on her.

2. The BOX - Pathetic dependency by players on an entourage of fist pumping back up staff; tennis is about working out problems in a match by yourself.

3. The FIST PUMP and SNARL - If the BBC showed one more shot of Judy Murray (who I like, by the way), snarling 'come on' to her son, I think I'd have thrown a tennis ball at my TV.

Come on ITF, ATP, WTA, act NOW!!!!!!

• Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    The worst thing about modern sport?

Old people whinging about modern sport. ;-)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Especially when they've just lost the point!
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like they are saying something to each other after winning a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    It looks like they are saying something to each other after winning a point.

Some of them have a chat after a service let. What could they possibly have to say that they couldn't have said before it?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them have a chat after a service let. What could they possibly have to say that they couldn't have said before it?

They may say 'did you notice the standing position of the opponent during your last serve'
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Why at Wimbledon do they refer to the women as 'Miss .....' but the men just by their surname as well?

I remember some years back that they dropped the 'Miss' and Mrs' from the score and just said the woman's surname, but somehow it has crept back in at Wimbledon.

Sometimes they do have to discuss court positions, serve direction, whether the player at the net will cross to the other side of the court.
    tennisman wrote: »

Other fads in the modern game which should be banned;

1. The TOWEL - Totally unnecessary. Interestingly, Serena doesn't use one. Good on her.

2. The BOX - Pathetic dependency by players on an entourage of fist pumping back up staff; tennis is about working out problems in a match by yourself.

3. The FIST PUMP and SNARL - If the BBC showed one more shot of Judy Murray (who I like, by the way), snarling 'come on' to her son, I think I'd have thrown a tennis ball at my TV.

Come on ITF, ATP, WTA, act NOW!!!!!!

Many fads have come into the game these days which I suspect is for the mind and the positives of mental thoughts and the repetition which sometimes verges on OCD.

The towel thing was originally done by Greg Rusedski back in the 1990's, now they all have it at the back of the court, except Serena, and is like a comfort blanket for them.

Back in the day the players shook hands walked to the net, gathered their stuff then walked off ....... then came the showman Andre Agassi who walked back on court and waved and kissed to the crowd like performing a bow to the audience. Now they all want to be the showman and now everybody does it.

As for the 'box' ..... Wimbledon used to have just the one area when one player had thir supporters in the front row and the other had the row behind, which consisted of about 6 seats. Now they have to have separate areas of about 12 seats each, and players 'invite' celebs into their box. Yes, it's crazy!!

Back in the day they didn't even have a bag for their racquets, they just tucked them under their arm..... and none of this plastic bag business after a re-string!! :D

One thing that is anoying if you go and watch the tennis live at Wimbledon is how the players treat the ballboys/girls. They demand the balls, demand their towels, chuck bottles, towels, tape from re-gripping their racquets over their shoulder at the change over and expect them to be picked up.

When I watched last week Warwrinka just chucked his towel over his shoulder, it landed behind the umpire's chair and the security people removed it from the court after the change over. Gasquet too was chucking various items with not a care as to how they would make themselves disappear into the bin. Talk about pampered players and rather rude imo!!!
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    1. The TOWEL - Totally unnecessary. Interestingly, Serena doesn't use one. Good on her.:D

The constant towelling down between points is ridiculous. The men are the worst. I saw a player (can't recall who now) during this year's Wimbledon who requested the towel after being aced!

I know Serena has had some controversial moments but she is one of the few players who actually follow the rulebook.