Options

Freeview V Freesat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I've had Freeview for quite a while now and there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent channels lined up or much happening in the way of HD.

My parents recently asked me to look at helping them get ready for digital switchover. As they get their signal from a local transmitter in the valleys not Wenvoe, they are unlikely to receive the full range of Freeview. I therefore started looking into Freesat (they do not want to pay a subscription so Sky is out). I was quite surprised at the range of channels and the HD offering.

Personally I'm coming to the end of my tether with Freeview and am seriously looking at Freesat myself as an alternative. Does anyone have both and could comment on the pros/cons.

Comments

• Options
    petejfpetejf Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Yes I have both.

The signal strength on Freeview (Wrekin - 12 miles) is so low that picture break-up is common! The DAB signal varies day by day!

I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma with Built-in FreeSat!

Brilliant!

I think that says it all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both, horses for courses really. The amount of HD on freesat is quite small, BBC if 4 hours per night (the rest is preview stuff) ITV does a bit via the red button, there is also Luxe HD (in non-freesat mode) but that is very low-brow stuff. The hundreds of channels via freesat are for the most part, dross, but if you hunt around you can find some real gems occasionally. Personally, unless you already have an HD ready display, it is not worth the cost to upgrade Vs the amount of HD content available. Freesat will not bring you Dave,Sky news, Sky Sports News or Sky 3, but does give you Men and Motors which Freeview doesn't

HTH
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Freeview for quite a while now and there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent channels lined up or much happening in the way of HD.

My parents recently asked me to look at helping them get ready for digital switchover. As they get their signal from a local transmitter in the valleys not Wenvoe, they are unlikely to receive the full range of Freeview. I therefore started looking into Freesat (they do not want to pay a subscription so Sky is out). I was quite surprised at the range of channels and the HD offering.

Personally I'm coming to the end of my tether with Freeview and am seriously looking at Freesat myself as an alternative. Does anyone have both and could comment on the pros/cons.

With Freeview boxes from around £15, provided you have a suitable aerial, I would get both. In fact that is what I did ten years ago (On Digital days). See them as complimenting each other not competitors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware of the limited HD content on Freesat. I would certainly miss Dave and Sky Sports News so I guess if I do get Freesat it's a case of keeping the Freeview box as well.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah go for both freeview and freesat,then you have the best of both worlds (all the fta channels on freesat and the channels on freeview that are pay on satellite )
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would go for both you will get hd with BBC hd on 4 till 1 itv hd showing one program a night plus all the zone channels then you have the freeview channels.
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have both so I can get the required channels but I use freesat 99% of the time and record my Freeview channels to watch later.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's rather more than four hours a night on BBC HD; I had to check that this thread wasn't really old...

Today is fairly typical, and starts at 1605, ending at 0100. That's five minutes short of nine hours, of which the first 1h55 are for kids, leaving 7 hours for grown-ups.

As for the original poster's comment that "not much is happening in the way of HD" on Freeview, I'm not really sure what they mean.

There is a clear, well laid out plan to roll out Freeview HD starting with the Granada region at the end of this year. That's been the plan for quite a while. It's not suddenly going to leap forward by months, and nor is it suddenly going to be cancelled.

Just because there isn't HD available right now doesn't mean that nothing is happening. There are test transmissions, equipment being designed, plans for the startup of the service and necessary rearrangement of channels, and it won't be that long before equipment starts being tested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nwhitfield wrote: »
    There's rather more than four hours a night on BBC HD; I had to check that this thread wasn't really old....
    Nigel, I had to read that post 3 or 4 times as it had no punctuation, and I originally thought he was saying you could get hd on 4 (channel 4) untill 1am !!

What he was saying was that you can get BBC HD from 4 until 1, which is correct.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to the earlier poster, sorry, who said
    the amount of HD on freesat is quite small, BBC if 4 hours per night (the rest is preview stuff)

which is rather out of date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nwhitfield wrote: »
    I was referring to the earlier poster, sorry, who said

which is rather out of date.
    Ah, I thought you were referring to post #7, apologies.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to put my vote in for having both....

....There are more (quantity wise) channels on freesat, as well as HD channels, I find the picture more stable, and the prospect of Iplayer style things (all freesat stb's and tv's have a LAN socket)

But freeview has better quality channels, sky 3, dave/ja vous, sky news (available in non-freesat mode), sky sports news, fiver, live life.........
    also better bit-rate on some channels apparently, and cheaper stbs.

I've got a TV with both freesat and freeview built in, and I really do find it's the best of both worlds!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....... (all freesat stb's and tv's have a LAN socket)
    The newer SD stbs do not have an ethernet port socket (the older ones did).

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »
    The newer SD stbs do not have an ethernet port socket (the older ones did).

Yes, the new ones have sod all on them on, just one SCART and one F connector, that's the lot :(

In the trade it's called "a cost improvement".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops my bad. I stand corrected!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    As others have said, get both if you can, as they very much complement one another. And if you already have a dish (with Sky Digital having been around for 11 years, many houses now do) and don't want to shell out a fortune for a Freesat box, used Sky digiboxes are available very cheap or even free (like mine) as subscribers increasingly go to Sky+ / Sky HD. Around half of the 600 or so channels on the Sky EPG are free-to-air, and although there's a lot of shopping / adult / religious dross on there there are also some worthwhile additions to DTV including the Zone channels, Channel M, half-a-dozen music channels, extra kids' channels such as Pop and Kix, a much wider selection of radio than that available on Freeview etc. And whilst Five isn't available from the Sky EPG, it can be manually tuned in under 'Services', and the schedule information is still broadcast on the EPG allowing you to set reminders etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I (now) have both as most people on this thread.
    I actually installed my own sky dish which I bought off ebay and had a spare sky box from my mother.
    But, I have now got rid of the sky box in favour of a Bush freesat HD box (£67 in Argos!)
    I am finding the HD quality just great - although there hasn't been much in way of programming in the last couple of days that I have had it (I'm going to let my 2 yr old watch Waybaloo in hd at 4pm - for her benefit, of course!)

I have had my Humax freeview pvr for a while and have no intention of getting rid yet, but it is unlikely I will get freeview hd but it depends on content.
    I have kept freeview so that I can still see some channels such as Dave, Fiver, five us and Sky Sports News.

If you are a Sky News watcher, you can add this manually to a freesat box
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you live in Wales, out of range of an English transmitter, Freesat is the clear winner.

Firstly, airspace exists for only 4 HD channels on Freeview - that's if the correct MPEG 4 DVB-T2 tuners ever become available as all DTT equipment in the shops now (July 2009) will not be able to receive HD terrestrial transmissions when they eventually start. Now, in the rest of the UK, one of these channels will be Channel 4 HD but in their wise wisdom, the government has decided to give the fourth HD channel in Wales to S4C. They will no doubt ensure that the 3% of the viewing public who watch the Welsh language programmes will be able to do so at peak times with Channel 4 HD stuff (which everybody can understand) moved to off peak. Get Freesat and then you will have the full choice of HD Channels as the satellite system can carry more capacity. (Channel 4 HD is not on Freesat yet).

Another advantage for you is that you will have a choice of BBC 1 & 2 England as well as Wales (and other regions). You will also be able to get ITV London as well as Wales. (Special codes are needed to tune in other ITV regions).

Freesat is your best best. You may like to consider the Humax Foxsat twin tuner PVR and connect this to your HD television with a HDMI cable. (You will need 2 downleads from the dish - ex Sky dishes are fine). If just buying a Freesat tuner box, make sure it is of the HD type.