Options

Prisoner (Remake) - as other one was hijacked.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
Forum Member
Ok, here's a thread to discuss the remake of The Prisononer on ITV.

I felt the other thread was hijacked by one particular individual who had the opinion of that if you hadn't seen the original you didn't deserve to have an opinion on the remake. Also if you disagreed with him, you were wrong. So I've started this new thread.

It's not a new Prisoner love in, nothing wrong with criticism, or comparisons with the old but let's try and steer clear of outright discussions of the original episodes with no relevence to the remake.

Even though I am a fan of the original, I'm trying to make this a discussion of the new version.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Good for you! I was getting rather fed up with the other thread. I too enjoyed the original, have it on DVD, but I'm enjoying this remake / reworking / whatever you want to call it, for what it is. It is enjoyable twaddle, as was the original. People may want to cast pseudo-intellectual spins on it, and if that makes them feel better than me, then they are welcome to their self-important views. :p

Knowing that it is going to have a different and (apparently) more conclusive ending - and all the other differences along the way - are what's making it interesting for me. I have had no burning desire to make scathing comparisons to the original as I am treating this as a separate drama - and I believe that was entirely the intention of the producers. In fact I was v surprised to see Rover as I thought that may have been one step too far down the 'remake' route. :)

I've not had any problems with JC's acting - I've seen much worse in many more 'highbrow' programmes - and let's not forget that Ian McKellen was in Corrie only a couple of years ago so the comments about why he agreed to this "tosh" are rather pompous to say the least.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already starting to get a bit irritated with Ian McKellan, but then so was I with William B. Davis who played "Cigarette Man" in the X-Files.
    Their "irritation" seems very similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already starting to get a bit irritated with Ian McKellan, but then so was I with William B. Davis who played "Cigarette Man" in the X-Files.
    Their "irritation" seems very similar.

Watching last night's second episode, I see that Nr 2's son [who looks more likely to be his grandson] is given two numbers. 11.12. What's that all about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's 1112 - Eleven Twelve is just the way they say it, rather than One Thousand One Hundred and Twelve. :)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »
    It's 1112 - Eleven Twelve is just the way they say it, rather than One Thousand One Hundred and Twelve. :)

11,12, is that One Thousand One Hundred and Twelve's
    "nick-name?"
    Good job he doesn't play pro. football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Still only seen the first one, been catching up on a few other things but I like this idea of all there is is the villiage. Have the villiagers been brainwashed? Is this done in the clinic? How did 93 know there was an outside? Why has 6 still got his memories? Did something go wrong with his "Extraction?" Is 2 being manipulated? Is there a 1 behind all this and are 2 and his family pawns in a larger game

It's all very intriguing. Will try and watch episode 2 tomorrow.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »

Actually, it is spelled "11.12" in all text material associated with the series. I don't know why, but that is what they chose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=The_Red_Avenger;39866252How did 93 know there was an outside?[/QUOTE]

Because he was meant to be the old Number 6 from the days when everyone in the Village remembered that they were once somebody else who had live somewhere else, even though none of them apart from the old Number 6 were prepared to resist the attempts of the authorities to extract their secrets or to take them on directly. This was clearly all before the authorities then put something in the water to make the villagers forget that they had ever lived anywhere else in the world and after they had transported the whole community from North Wales to South West Africa.

Basically Number 93 is just one of a very small number of nods (along with the map purchase episode, the appearance of Rover and the fact that everyone is called by a number) to the original series from which this one has so heavily departed.

I hear the departure from the original only gets much more major from Episode 3 onwards.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capvermell wrote: »
    I hear the departure from the original only gets much more major from Episode 3 onwards.

Excellent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Excellent!

Yes, I think so. I like the fact that it *is* different.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, a straightforward note-for-note remake would be fairly pointless. I really don't understand why people get het about it - if anything, it just means more publicity for the original series.

I remember it was like this when the re-imagined BSG started up.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great I didn't really want to venture into the other one;). I loved the original Prisoner, but I'm definitely intrigued by this one. I also like the fact that they made it accessible to modern audiences. I don't know if I will like Ian McKellen to be Number 2 throughout the whole series, but I assume that cannot be helped.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking this new version. Its weird but watchable.
    Is it only a 3 part show though ?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original but also appreciate the interpretation they have done in the new series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the original and looked forward to watching this new version but I'm really struggling as it has non of the quirky charm that the original had.

What really dissapointed me was the "new" village as it looked like a damn central parks with it's homogeneous units. I will try and watch it on iplayer but must admit I'm in no rush.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, here's a thread to discuss the remake of The Prisononer on ITV.

I felt the other thread was hijacked by one particular individual who had the opinion of that if you hadn't seen the original you didn't deserve to have an opinion on the remake. Also if you disagreed with him, you were wrong. So I've started this new thread.

It's not a new Prisoner love in, nothing wrong with criticism, or comparisons with the old but let's try and steer clear of outright discussions of the original episodes with no relevence to the remake.

Even though I am a fan of the original, I'm trying to make this a discussion of the new version.

Thank goodness for this :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Is it only a 3 part show though?

6 episodes, and the sixth episode is a definite conclusion.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    6 episodes, and the sixth episode is a definite conclusion.

Thanks. TV.com only had 3 episodes listed but maybe only 3 were shown in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it is spelled "11.12" in all text material associated with the series. I don't know why, but that is what they chose.

That's a first anyway. I've never heard of figures being spelled before. Anyway, as i've said in the other thread, the casting in Prisoner09, is unbalanced, because they would really have needed another actor of McKellen's fame and stature to play the man who is after the main character. This must be why McKellen's name comes up first in the opening titles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. TV.com only had 3 episodes listed but maybe only 3 were shown in the US.

All six one-hour episodes were shown in the US, but they showed them all over three nights, two per night, back to back. So essentially like three two-hour movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a first anyway. I've never heard of figures being spelled before.

I beg your pardon: "represented as" instead of "spelled.";)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe that the three episodes are two of the ones we're watching combined, i don't know though which episode titles are dropped in that case. I remember they combined two episodes [same story] of 'Man in a Suitcase by making a TV film of them called, 'To chase a million' [from 'Variation on a million bucks Pts 1&2]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg your pardon: "represented as" instead of "spelled.";)

I wasn't having a go, there by pointing that out by the way.
    I think 11.12 has a significant role towards the end, according to the wikipedia entry for this series.
  • Options
    mgbgtmgbgt Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Has No.2's wife (if the woman in the bed IS his wife) been conscious yet? I think her eyes were open at one point, and No.2 closed them (same as they do with a dead person!) , but I don't remember if she appeared aware of anything around her, or at the very least if she moved her eyes at all.

I think I'm trying to figure out if the tablets he is giving her are keeping her in a catatonic state, or if they are just supposed to be keeping her healthy and alive.

Don't post if its a spoiler though! :) I'm sure his wife and her state will have some relevance to the overall story, but I CAN wait!!!:D
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgbgt wrote: »
    Has No.2's wife (if the woman in the bed IS his wife) been conscious yet? I think her eyes were open at one point, and No.2 closed them (same as they do with a dead person!) , but I don't remember if she appeared aware of anything around her, or at the very least if she moved her eyes at all.

I think I'm trying to figure out if the tablets he is giving her are keeping her in a catatonic state, or if they are just supposed to be keeping her healthy and alive.

Don't post if its a spoiler though! :) I'm sure his wife and her state will have some relevance to the overall story, but I CAN wait!!!:D

I was wondering about this as well. I don't remember if it has been definitely mentioned yet that she is his wife, and the mother of 11.12?