Options

The JACK 106 SOUTH COAST Thread (Merged)

NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't start many threads, but I thought I'd start this one if I may, particularly as the current thread regarding Coast's format change seems to have gone down the "let's have a slanging match" route.

So, JACK FM is coming to the south. I'm actually looking forward to it, something different and just what we need. Let's leave music by Michael Buble, Take That, Robbie and Abba to Heart/Wave/Radio Solent.

So far, it sounds like they have already changed the music on Coast 106 to the new format. It is sound very different this week.

What will it be like?

What will Bam Bam be like?

Will it finally have an impact on other stations?

Will the 'non-stop' music idea actually highlight how much damn talk and idle chat Wave churn out?

How long will Bam Bam last? Remember the huge Ofcom fine that Kiss 100 received a while back, possibly the biggest fine for a station yet.

Comments

• Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back then Bam Bam and Street Boy where broadcasting to a very different audience.

Bam Bam has to deal with a more 'mature' market now. I really dont think they want to hear Bam Bam's side kick, should he have one knocking on peoples front doors asking stupid questions!
  • Options
    coastal homecoastal home Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    NokiaNokia wrote: »
    I don't start many threads, but I thought I'd start this one if I may, particularly as the current thread regarding Coast's format change seems to have gone down the "let's have a slanging match" route.

So, JACK FM is coming to the south. I'm actually looking forward to it, something different and just what we need. Let's leave music by Michael Buble, Take That, Robbie and Abba to Heart/Wave/Radio Solent.

So far, it sounds like they have already changed the music on Coast 106 to the new format. It is sound very different this week.

What will it be like?

What will Bam Bam be like?

Will it finally have an impact on other stations?

Will the 'non-stop' music idea actually highlight how much damn talk and idle chat Wave churn out?

How long will Bam Bam last? Remember the huge Ofcom fine that Kiss 100 received a while back, possibly the biggest fine for a station yet.
    They started to change the music much earlier this year.Jack is OK as far as i'm concerned but it get's tedious after a while when you get to know most of the playlist songs(if you listen lot's you soon will).Doesn't mean to say it doesn't have some really good tracks though-just something i would dip in and out of.If the breakfast is anything like the current ones in Oxford,Bristol and other countries (a bit manic) i will avoid it and tune-in to the non-stop music now and again.I would personally prefer The Coast as it was at the start(Soft West Coast Rock) or an out and out Rock station like the one in Manchester and Scotland rather than the more well known pop-rock hits that Jack tends to play.That's my personal view as a lover of adult alternative Radio i'm disappointed that it has not found an audience in the UK and everything has to be a different variety of pop hits to succeed.
  • Options
    zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Waits for 'My Vengance' to arrive) ;)
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jack is the future of radio if I'm honest, and I wish many other stations would just go Jack themselves instead of plodding on at a financial lost like many are with the same old tired formats!

Star Cambridge
    Connect FM
    Chelmsford FM
    Southend Radio
    Heart 96.6 Herts
    Palm FM
    Exeter FM

All of the above should be Jacked! I realise this would mean many presenters losing their jobs, however I agree with the recent report on Jack from Radio Today last week - http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/06/feature-is-jack-the-future/
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    I think Jack is the future of radio if I'm honest, and I wish many other stations would just go Jack themselves instead of plodding on at a financial lost like many are with the same old tired formats!
    To be honest if I was considering to Jack a station, I wouldn't go to the expense of licening the brand instead just do something with automation music and with imaging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest if I was considering to Jack a station, I wouldn't go to the expense of licening the brand instead just do something with automation music and with imaging.

Yes, it's the concept thats the idea, you don't need a presenter saying "That was, this is, on the way, your chance to win, don't forget to join, blah blah blah..! Just the breakfast show to be as entertaining and local as possible, and the rest of the day full of music, ads, travel, weather and whats on, all with good imaging and a few witty one liners in-between! :D

Most local news stories are now found on Twitter! I certainly think radio is evolving and Jack is leading the way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jack has a place i'm sure but i wouldn't want to see it as the future of radio as i'm sure many presenters wouldn't!..There are a lot of us that still like the company of a presenter and think if it's just going to be non-stop automated music we might as well play our own choice!.I think Celador should have kept The Coast and had Jack in this area.It's The Breeze i think is they have more of problem with-judging by early signs.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What's the position with Mike Fm,Dave Fm,Brad Fm,Jill Fm et al in the US and other countries?>Do they pay for the Jack brand styling as they are all the same type of format.If not why didn't Celador just give it another male name and save more money?>.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you've got Bob FM also in Canada where Jack started.

This community station looks intresting http://www.zackfm.com/
  • Options
    Paul EastonPaul Easton Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    What's the position with Mike Fm,Dave Fm,Brad Fm,Jill Fm et al in the US and other countries?>Do they pay for the Jack brand styling as they are all the same type of format.

Yes - and SparkNet also have a licensing agreement with Vienna's 88.6 which uses the strapline "Wir spielen was wir wollen" and a variation of the Jack format but without the actual name, logo or other branding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of us that still like the company of a presenter

That's the beauty of BBC local radio! ;)
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - and SparkNet also have a licensing agreement with Vienna's 88.6 which uses the strapline "Wir spielen was wir wollen" and a variation of the Jack format but without the actual name, logo or other branding.

If so called radio professionals need to "licence" the idea of playing non-stop old records stitched together with pre-recorded links, then it shows how creatively bankrupt is the industry.
  • Options
    on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you've got Bob FM also in Canada where Jack started.

This community station looks intresting http://www.zackfm.com/

Ahh interesting, thats the old Zeta...An american connection with this station??
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack FM is in East Herts. I recall that a Jack was proposed by another licencee for Beds, Herts, Bucks DAB, Be nice if it makes it to the new mux with Northants.

Had Star on in the car as I went into Cambridge the other day (Sat Lunch time) , sadly signal seems weak compared to Heart, but when the RDS did lock on it sound good as I drove through the city. Shame that it is not on DAB though. But with it's long music sweeps is I guess close to Jack. Seemed to be about half an hour no presenter just sweeps.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Star Cambridge
    Connect FM
    Chelmsford FM
    Southend Radio
    Heart 96.6 Herts
    Palm FM
    Exeter FM

All of the above should be Jacked! I realise this would mean many presenters losing their jobs, however I agree with the recent report on Jack from Radio Today last week - http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/06/feature-is-jack-the-future/

I'd also add the piss-poor performing Time stations, the soon to be More FM and KMFM Maidstone which overlaps with other KM stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also add the piss-poor performing Time stations, the soon to be More FM and KMFM Maidstone which overlaps with other KM stations.

Oh yes, Time 106.6, what a mess that station is and a shadow of it's former self when it was the original Star FM. 106 Jack FM, Slough, Maidenhead, Windsor. Playing what we want! :D
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's the concept thats the idea, you don't need a presenter saying "That was, this is, on the way, your chance to win, don't forget to join, blah blah blah..! Just the breakfast show to be as entertaining and local as possible, and the rest of the day full of music, ads, travel, weather and whats on, all with good imaging and a few witty one liners in-between!
    It's funny how how some people on here rant about how bad radio is now and how the big groups are letting talented people go left, right and centre. Yet here you are encouraging it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly think radio is evolving and Jack is leading the way!

Well let's hope not, eh?

I have no employment interest whatsoever, but it's a very depressing scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, Time 106.6, what a mess that station is and a shadow of it's former self when it was the original Star FM. 106 Jack FM, Slough, Maidenhead, Windsor. Playing what we want! :D

It could work, just stick Shaun Tilley on breakfast and Litt Corp might make some money from it's non Asian stations!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    It could work, just stick Shaun Tilley on breakfast and Litt Corp might make some money from it's non Asian stations!

They have - put Shaun Tilley on breakfast! Last November! :D

It does - Litt Corp makes money out of its non-Asian stations! Certainly Time 106.6 is a month-in, month-out money-spinner now that the station is based at Litt Corp HQ in Southall. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have - put Shaun Tilley on breakfast! Last November! :D

It does - Litt Corp makes money out of its non-Asian stations! Certainly Time 106.6 is a month-in, month-out money-spinner now that the station is based at Litt Corp HQ in Southall. :cool:

And yet they've lost under 30,000 listeners.

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/214/time-1066/listening-figures

107.5 is probably being propped up by Centreforce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    And yet they've lost under 30,000 listeners.

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/214/time-1066/listening-figures

107.5 is probably being propped up by Centreforce.

Interesting graph, thanks Martin.

Looking at Time 106.6's total hours they have spiked UP this last survey and the same spike UP is evident on its market share.

Yes, Time 106.6's reach (listeners) hasn't enjoyed the same massive upward spike, however listeners are still up Q on Q on the station after remaining flat the last survey.

In conclusion, something, surely, must be on the right track at Time 106.6 otherwise there would have been one, two or even three falls in its total hours, market share and reach graphs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how how some people on here rant about how bad radio is now and how the big groups are letting talented people go left, right and centre. Yet here you are encouraging it.

It's a sign of the times, nothing you or I can do to change the state of the industry. I'm not into Heart or Capital, but I do like what Jack are doing and they are an entertaining listen with lots of creative writing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Well let's hope not, eh?

I have no employment interest whatsoever, but it's a very depressing scenario.

I think the stations in Solent,Bristol and Herts are lucky in only having to produce 3 hours of live programming a day-way short of the sort of regional or local service they were originally set up to provide.I've never agreed with Ofcom's reasoning that something is 'local' even if it's just non-stop music as long as it comes from the broadcast area..At least Jack Oxford applied to provide this sort of service in the first place and i personally reckon is the best of the three current ones for music variety,news and sport's coverage.