World's Strongest Man (New Series) Starts Monday 16th December

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
Forum Member
The qualifiers begin in Melbourne, Australia tonight at 7pm on Channel 5 and continue nightly through to Friday. Then on Boxing Day the finals begin.

Looking forward to this, always a festive highlight in this household. :D

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's the daddy?!?!?!?!

Sadly i've not watched it for years. Not since it left the BBC. :( Back in the good old days of Jouko Ahola, Sven Karlsen and all those guys.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    You should give it a try. Five do a good job with it I think. The ever brilliant James Richardson presents. :)
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I much prefer the coverage now that it's not 'creepy' John Inverdale.
    Forum Member
    Bump. Just starting.
    Forum Member
    Just a heads up WSM fans that the finals begin at 8:15pm this evening. And the remainder:

Round 2: Tomorrow 8pm
    Round 3: Saturday 8pm
    Round 4: Sunday 8pm
    Round 5: Monday 8:30pm
    Final: New Year's Eve 8pm

Enjoy. :)
  • GooglerGoogler Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this! Kind of a Christmas tradition in our house to watch these!
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know how Long Wu got into this!

If Shahleie is our best hope, can't see us having any in the final.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Don't know how Long Wu got into this!

If Shahleie is our best hope, can't see us having any in the final.

Yeah, he looks completely out of place. Maybe he was a wildcard.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now what exactly was the point in doing 9 reps and nearly killing yourself when you only needed 3?!

Blew his quad and is now out oh dear oh dear!
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Now what exactly was the point in doing 9 reps and nearly killing yourself when you only needed 3?!

Blew his quad and is now out oh dear oh dear!

No wonder he has so much "bad luck" with injuries. He needs to use his brain as well as his brawn.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbf to Shahlaei, even if he hadn't overdone it on the squat, he still had a dodgy shoulder and wouldn't have done much damage in the final. Going out in a blaze of glory.

Hicks did reasonably well last night, sadly for him there were at least two to three events that suited tall guys.
    Forum Member
    Hope Terry does well tonight.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad they brought it back to Channel 5. A few years ago it ended up on the now defunct Bravo channel.

C5's coverage has actually turned out to be superior to the BBC's. They also show the Giants series.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Not really. The narrative style of the commentary signposts the result of each event and overall sucking the competitive excitement out of it for the TV viewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem I have withe the C5 coverage is that an hour (or 45 mins without adverts) is too long to cover the heats, so there is a lot of padding. On the other hand, 45 minutes is too short for the final, without cutting a lot out. BBC used to have 30 mins for the heats and 60 for the final, which was about right.

Good show by Terry Hollands tonight. I feel that some of the also-rans from heats 2 and 3 would have qualified out of the much weaker heat 1 - certainly Martin Wildauer would have.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think an hour is too long - 45 minutes + adverts is certainly too short as far as the final is concerned though.

Yet another programme the BBC sold the rights to, so at least C5 picked it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year's competition has been great so far, Savickas and Shaw looking great. James Richardson is quality as ever, but who is this woman, she's bloody awful.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Hall blew it on the stones, pity. He looks promising for the future, but you can't afford to have two weak events out of six (yoke, keg toss).

I don't mind the random woman doing the interviews. Remember when Zoe Salmon was along for the ride? Painful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah shame about Eddie, he's got the strength but just needs more experience in the individual events. Was very happy to see the late Mike Jenkins qualify, assume there will be a tribute to him at the end of the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump for the final tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    Yeah shame about Eddie, he's got the strength but just needs more experience in the individual events. Was very happy to see the late Mike Jenkins qualify, assume there will be a tribute to him at the end of the final.

I didn't know Mike had died. :(

Must be Big Z v Brian Shaw for the title - if anyone else is going to challenge I expect it to be the ones who qualified from heats 2, 3 and 4, as they looked the strongest heats.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know its true but someone told me that they used to have arm wrestling, but one year one of the contestants snapped the bone of his opponent
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I don't know its true but someone told me that they used to have arm wrestling, but one year one of the contestants snapped the bone of his opponent

Very true! It was my all-time favourite Magnus Samuelsson vs future WWE wrestler Nathan Jones. I believe arm wrestling has never featured since! http://youtu.be/vDriAjb2cPI
    Forum Member
    Tribute wrote: »
    Very true! It was my all-time favourite Magnus Samuelsson vs future WWE wrestler Nathan Jones. I believe arm wrestling has never featured since! http://youtu.be/vDriAjb2cPI

That has stayed with me for years! My jaw was on the floor when it happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    That has stayed with me for years! My jaw was on the floor when it happened.

Yeah especially as Jones dwarfed Magnus.