Options

wiziwig shuts down

AdsAds Posts: 37,060
Forum Member
The site has today shut down. It appears it was based in Spain and a new law has cone in today which would have made the site owners liable for a huge fine.

The closing statement on the website strongly blames the Premier League for its closure.

So a victory for the EPL but only a temporary one I suspect. Afterall the closure of Napster hardly stopped illegal downloading of music.

The EPL is currently tendering for its next tv contract and huge increases are predicted. Us fans will end up paying higher and higher costs to watch the EPL if we want to do it legally.

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame that it has gone, but thankfully like torrent sites as soon as one goes, a handful pops up in place. So 3pm games will at least still be viewable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    How quaint, people who still believe their favourite sports league gives a crap about the fans...
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got any tips on a viable alternative? I have the full sky sports and bt packages but use wiziwig when I'm abroad on business.
  • Options
    cegueiracegueira Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Anyone got any tips on a viable alternative? I have the full sky sports and bt packages but use wiziwig when I'm abroad on business.
    Use a VPN and the respective apps.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is also against DS rules to advertise those sites on here.
  • Options
    TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame to see it go, will have to find somewhere else to watch the mighty Heed on Saturday (can't get to West Brom).
    The site did evolve from myp2p.eu, so hopefully a new evolution will be just round the corner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    It was run by the same person that ran Myp2p which also got shut down years ago.

Now that all the main players have been taken offfline, WhoopTV Super-Streams, Kiwi Sportz, Boxing Guru, this could indeed the end of online streaming!
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kissmeonce wrote: »
    Now that all the main players have been taken offfline, WhoopTV Super-Streams, Kiwi Sportz, Boxing Guru, this could indeed the end of online streaming!

No they won't - online streaming sites are like Hydra bosses: cut off one head and two take its place.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    No they won't - online streaming sites are like Hydra bosses: cut off one head and two take its place.

It took me five minutes to find three alternative sites.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    How quaint, people who still believe their favourite sports league gives a crap about the fans...

So they should just allow people to watch their games for free?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    No, but they could quite easily make them cheaper.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Wiziwig :(
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    This is very sad indeed. I used to be regular on their forums as well :( Another great site has gone. Internet will soon become nothing but an e-billboard for advertisers and sellers. The freedom of speech will be censored and people won't be able to use the Internet for what was being intended for - freedom to exchange and share information.
  • Options
    adrian foxadrian fox Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It's time the pl followed the lead of the music industry and offered a legal way to get all pl games in the UK.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adrian fox wrote: »
    It's time the pl followed the lead of the music industry and offered a legal way to get all pl games in the UK.

They do - it's called subscription tv!!
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do - it's called subscription tv!!

You don't get ALL games on subscription unlike America who get to see every game on NBC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what I mean. The PL vertically encourage sites like Wizigig while the music industry realized that sites like Napster weren't going to go away and offered legal alternatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what I mean. The PL vertically encourage sites like Wizigig while the music industry realized that sites like Napster weren't going to go away and offered legal alternatives.
  • Options
    Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    adrian fox wrote: »

There are legal ways to watch a Premier League game in the UK that is to either buy a ticket or if broadcast live on Pay TV.

I simply never understand why anyone would expect these commercial organisations to make every game available for live broadcast in the UK when it might actually not been in their best interests financially.

Many clubs now struggle to sell out and showing more games live would only make that problem worse, with our clubs business model being one of maximising both TV and matchday revenue I believe the general consensus amongst Premier League clubs is blanket TV coverage would adversely affect this.

Allowing all games to be shown abroad really has little relevance to what should be shown here and though many find ways of viewing these overseas broadcasts the fact the PL try to combat this demonstrates they must believe it has adverse impact here.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they should just allow people to watch their games for free?

I would be more than willing to pay to see every game of my favourite team on Television as getting tickets is nearly impossible due to the amount of fans wanting them & the cost of the hospitality ticket is out of the question in my current circumstances. If they removed the outdated blackout period & gave the rights to UK broadcasters for 3pm Saturday games, then I would be happy to pay for them. I only support 3 teams

Liverpool
    Liverpool under 21s
    Liverpool Ladies

Each season I pay a membership fee in the hope of getting to see my team play. I don't support lower / non league local teams. If LFC are playing, then I will find a way of watching the match, either by going, by watching on Sky Sports / BT Sports or by illegal stream.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    Dwight1970 wrote: »
    Many clubs now struggle to sell out

There is a simple solution to fix that! Lower the prices!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. The Budesliga has proved you can have all games on TV and big crowds at all levels.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <<< Many clubs now struggle to sell out and showing more games live would only make that problem worse, with our clubs business model being one of maximising both TV and matchday revenue I believe the general consensus amongst Premier League clubs is blanket TV coverage would adversely affect this. >>>

Views and opinions that were rife and standard beliefs years ago, when football held out against live matches as though it would totally kill football. Off season internationals were shown, and then very slowly it was decided that European live matches were OK provided they were held on days when there was no other football on at all.
    Finally, what killed off those old fashioned ridiculous notions, which were really just complete conservative fear filled nonsense, was when Sky TV started and offered enough money to overcome the objections. Obviously the conservative diehards still went on about how it would kill football because nobody at all would go to see a match when they could watch Man U on TV. But most of those views died the hard way when of course it made no difference at all at first, and then only served to make watching football more desirable, Man U on TV was acting as an advert for going to see e.g. Aldershot live. Audiences for live matches rose. not fell.

However as usually happens, a thing that is good soon turned into a device to rip people off and prices got stupidly high. Greed and trying to make a fast buck and a ripoff. People found ways round it.
    A very few diehards of the old ways remain, wanting to ban TV from the airwaves. Bad luck matey. It will not happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    There is a simple solution to fix that! Lower the prices!

I think you miss the point that clubs are content with the high ticket prices and high value TV deals on limited availability combination, and changing the balance will not componsate the feared loss of revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    <<< Many clubs now struggle to sell out and showing more games live would only make that problem worse, with our clubs business model being one of maximising both TV and matchday revenue I believe the general consensus amongst Premier League clubs is blanket TV coverage would adversely affect this. >>>

Views and opinions that were rife and standard beliefs years ago, when football held out against live matches as though it would totally kill football. Off season internationals were shown, and then very slowly it was decided that European live matches were OK provided they were held on days when there was no other football on at all.
    Finally, what killed off those old fashioned ridiculous notions, which were really just complete conservative fear filled nonsense, was when Sky TV started and offered enough money to overcome the objections. Obviously the conservative diehards still went on about how it would kill football because nobody at all would go to see a match when they could watch Man U on TV. But most of those views died the hard way when of course it made no difference at all at first, and then only served to make watching football more desirable, Man U on TV was acting as an advert for going to see e.g. Aldershot live. Audiences for live matches rose. not fell.

However as usually happens, a thing that is good soon turned into a device to rip people off and prices got stupidly high. Greed and trying to make a fast buck and a ripoff. People found ways round it.
    A very few diehards of the old ways remain, wanting to ban TV from the airwaves. Bad luck matey. It will not happen.

Also missing the point if and when the clubs decide to have blanket coverage it will be when they think it us worthwhile to them not when a few armchair fans demand it, my point is the clubs do not want it at this point as record matchday revenue and TV income says they have got the balance right and I see little desire to change that.