why were the polls "wrong"

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
"wrong" in quotes because they may have reflected the voting intentions as they were .

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Because polls are crap!.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where they really all that wrong, I haven't seen a breakdown of votes just in England but only for the whole of the UK but even there you can see that in England there wasn't much between Lab and Con. Where the polls falled was that they didn't show what the effects of a collpse of Lib votes and the swing of Lib/Lab working class votes to UKIP would be. ie gains for the Tories. In many/most English seats Labour gained vote share.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Because of something called the "Shy Tory factor", they talked about it last night and in the papers today. People who vote Conservative tend not say and it's no wonder when they get abuse thrown at them.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because LibDem voters left them in droves and voted Tory, they are a useless spineless bunch and have landed us all in a Tory hellhole.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    There are obviously a lot of people afraid to say they vote Tory.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qualatative research always has some margin of error

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/03/margin-of-error-debate_n_6565788.html
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I blame the Poll Trolls.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got it right on Scotland with a near SNP whitewash :)
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,595
    Forum Member
    Quite a lot of the undecideds that turned it, i wasn't sure who to vote for myself until Wednesday night, never known so many still undecided who to vote for so close to the election.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Because telling the truth just isnt in a Tories nature.
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sour grapes on the thread taste absolutely delicious I bet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    They got it right on Scotland with a near SNP whitewash :)

Indeed, spot on with their forecast.

However everyone got it wrong about the SNP being the power broker in parliament.

Nicola will be well gutted but being the 3rd party in Westminster is a historic result.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member

Good for making wine.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Because of something called the "Shy Tory factor", they talked about it last night and in the papers today. People who vote Conservative tend not say and it's no wonder when they get abuse thrown at them.

This I'd think is a big factor.

I know Twitter is never the best place to judge opinion, but I've seen comments like "if you voted Tory, you're a ****/dick/****." and "you've condemned people to foodbanks and killed the NHS, shame on you all!" The comments are pure hatred.

If that's the general feeling against people who vote Tory, it's no wonder so many of them kept quiet.
  • johnny121johnny121 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I spoke to some of my work colleagues about the election & quite a few changed their minds on the day of polling. Could well be a factor.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »

I know Twitter is never the best place to judge opinion, but I've seen comments like "if you voted Tory, you're a ****/dick/****." and "you've condemned people to foodbanks and killed the NHS, shame on you all!" The comments are pure hatred.

If that's the general feeling against people who vote Tory, it's no wonder so many of them kept quiet.

Agreed.

Labour supporters should look to their conduct and ask themselves why, in a mature democracy, significant numbers of people don't feel they can plainly state who they are going to vote for.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tory voters have always generally kept this to themselves. I found this during the Thatcher years when the on one side was despair and the other I am alright. Divide and conquer.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From whom? Labour got a few more votes, in fact most parties got a few more votes than 2010. It seems that most of the new votes for the main parties was from the insane exodus of LibDem voters. Go look at the voting numbers, its more of the same as 2010 but with the LibDems taking a huge hit in the polls across the board.

(also good to see people treating an election as a rival football match, people for and against Cons are the worst, the worshipers, somehow degrade politics to a fecking WWF match)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »

Worse than that, I've seen "If you voted Tory, you have blood on your hands."

I have seen so much abuse from Labour voters aimed at Tory voters on social media. And not trolls or spam accounts, but people who I follow who are usually smart and level headed. It's ridiculous. In this day and age you should be able to vote for who you want to, and not be afraid to tell people who you voted for.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the last polls were showing Lab and tory both on around 33.......with a 3 point margin of error

So both parties finishing with 30-35 is what the polls were saying

As it goes I think there was a swing to Labour in England but it was nowhere near enough to make up for the loss of the Scottish seats and the collapse of the Lib Dems (which helps the Tories as there aren't many Lib-Lab contested seats, most of the former Lib seats had the Tories as the second party)
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    From whom? Labour got a few more votes, in fact most parties got a few more votes than 2010. It seems that most of the new votes for the main parties was from the insane exodus of LibDem voters. Go look at the voting numbers, its more of the same as 2010 but with the LibDems taking a huge hit in the polls across the board.

(also good to see people treating an election as a rival football match, people for and against Cons are the worst, the worshipers, somehow degrade politics to a fecking WWF match)

From the below - clearly in this thread, surprised that you missed it. Sour grapes and possibly/probably a reason why more people don't vote for labour and such like because they're made out to be ***** for voting for what they feel is best for the country.
    victor mel wrote: »
    Tory voters have always generally kept this to themselves. I found this during the Thatcher years when the on one side was despair and the other I am alright. Divide and conquer.
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Because telling the truth just isnt in a Tories nature.
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Because LibDem voters left them in droves and voted Tory, they are a useless spineless bunch and have landed us all in a Tory hellhole.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    All the Tory voters pretending they are shy lol.

You know who the Tory voters are anyway. They're the ones in turtle necks and fancy clothes and they sound like Prince Charles, yerrrs,yerrrs dear, perhaps a spot of tea and some fox hunting will be theee order of the day. Tally ho.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »

You know who the Tory voters are anyway. They're the ones in turtle necks and fancy clothes and they sound like Prince Charles, yerrrs,yerrrs dear, perhaps a spot of tea and some fox hunting will be theee order of the day. Tally ho.

Awesome stereotyping there.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »

Don't know about "turtle necks" but that suit DC was wearing for the count was quality.