Free International Calls With Sky

hamid84hamid84 Posts: 1,002
Forum Member
✭✭✭
H guys,

I got a letter from sky today informing me that from 20-Dec-2006 i will be able to make FREE calls to 10 international destinations with the skytalk package ;)

cant wait

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    hamid84 wrote:
    H guys,

I got a letter from sky today informing me that from 20-Dec-2006 i will be able to make FREE calls to 10 international destinations with the skytalk package ;)

cant wait
    I've not seen it but that certainly sounds good for their £5 monthly fee.

OTOH, calls to 28 countries (and, the same as Sky Talk, to any UK 01/02 number) are 'free' at all times on Euphony's euTalk+18 CPS package for £5.99/month (minus a £4.99/month discount for the first 12 months of an 18 month contract).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Heinz wrote:
    I've not seen it but that certainly sounds good for their £5 monthly fee.

OTOH, calls to 28 countries (and, the same as Sky Talk, to any UK 01/02 number) are 'free' at all times on Euphony's euTalk+18 CPS package for £5.99/month (minus a £4.99/month discount for the first 12 months of an 18 month contract).

Its actually a £4.99p discount for first 6 months. Works out to an average of approx £4.33p a month for the first 18 months.( Less then a £1 a week). Even if you dont make Intl Calls its a good deal for frequent users. Plus its open to anyone not just Sky Customers.
    Forum Member
    blazor wrote:
    Its actually a £4.99p discount for first 6 months. Works out to an average of approx £4.33p a month for the first 18 months.( Less then a £1 a week). Even if you dont make Intl Calls its a good deal for frequent users. Plus its open to anyone not just Sky Customers.
    So it is, thanks.

Nevertheless, it's still vastly superior to Sky's offering because, not only does it offer more countries and is cheaper, there's no need to subscribe to Sky TV as well (although the 18 month contract is a downside).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Its on sky website also
    http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skytalk

10 international landline destinations:
    United States, Ireland, Spain, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, Italy, Netherlands.(also includes calls to international mobiles in Canada and USA)

**Unlimited international landlines to US, Ireland, Spain, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, Italy and Netherlands (also includes calls to international mobiles in Canada and the USA). Calls to all other international destinations and mobile numbers are 5% lower than BT Together Option 1. Subject to our fair use policy which is available on sky.com/skytalk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Having a son in Germany, and happily a sky sports subscriber I have joined the Sky Talk Unlimited. As I will still have to pay £11 month for BT Together Option 1, will the 1471 and 1571 services still be operative?
    Forum Member
    greenf wrote:
    Having a son in Germany, and happily a sky sports subscriber I have joined the Sky Talk Unlimited. As I will still have to pay £11 month for BT Together Option 1, will the 1471 and 1571 services still be operative?
    Yes, all CPS (Carrier PreSelect) services are for OUTGOING calls only. Your incoming calls will still arrive via BT and, hence, 1471 and 1571 will continue to work normally.

However, I'd urge you to dump 1571 and get a standard answering machine instead.

The reason I say that is because, IMHO, 'free' 1571 services are nothing more than a clever con by call provider companies to make money.

That's because, if you call someone who has the 'service' and they happen to be engaged on a call already, you go straight through to the 1571 'machine'. Your call is connected and you are charged 3p connection and a minimum of 3p for the first minute (if you're on BT - other providers may charge differently). So, even if you don't want to leave a message, that call has cost you 6p. Trying again (and again, and again) might have the same result too (starts getting expensive).

If the person you called didn't have 1571, you'd have heard an engaged tone, would not have been charged anything, would have realised they were busy on a call and would have tried again after a few minutes.

An answering machine set to answer after 8 or 9 rings is a far more 'friends and family friendly' device for when you're out - F&F quickly learn (or you can even tell them), that, if you haven't answered by, say, the fifth ring, you're not going to so they'll have the option of hanging on until the answering machine kicks in and leaving a message or hanging up and trying later.

I dumped 1571 some time ago and picked up a very nice brand new BT Decor 500 LST/answering machine on ebay for about £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Thank you Heinz, for your swift, comprehensive and informative reply.