Re-evaluating Spider-Man 3

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really annoyed when I saw this film in the cinema because I really loved Spidey 1 and 2, but 3 smelt of kitchen-sink approach. For God's sake, why didn't they leave it at Venom, and get rid of Sandman (the visual effect quota was well and truly reached in that film!) ? I can't say I ever read the comic books, but did grow up watching the cartoons (poor substitute, I know) but can say that Venom was always a great villain. Interested to know who will be the baddie in no.4, unless it has already been decided? (Theoretically, I would love The Insidious 6 to be in it, but then the film may suffer once again from overkill. Shame.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I preferred Sandman to be honest. Venom was a bit one note for me. I'd have liked them to have focussed on the Sandman and removed Venom.

I still enjoy the film, but it definitely needed some serious trimming. Not least of all the embarrassing dancing bits! There's still a lot of comic book fun to be had, but it certainly feels as though the director Sam Raimi was forced into this one. I couldn't believe it when I read that he was going to do a fourth.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderman had the Green Goblin
    Spiderman 2 had Doctor Octopus
    Spiderman 3 should have focused on Sandman

Having 3 "baddies" was just massive overkill, which left no time for character development.

Then have Venom in Spidey 4. Though it could be argued that Venom's storyline is too long and complex to ever be fitted convincingly into the movieverse so maybe stick with Green Goblin, Vulture, Electro, OR Lizardman

Comicbook adaptations repeatedly made this meistake, of putting more than one villain in a film, a trend started by Batman Returns (the only film to have really managed more than one main villain).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »
    Comicbook adaptations repeatedly made this meistake, of putting more than one villain in a film, a trend started by Batman Returns (the only film to have really managed more than one main villain).

Superman II
    Batman Begins
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but it wasnt as good as Spiderman 1 and 2. Taken on its own terms, its not a bad film at all. The Alien Costume is an excellent 2 parter cartoon episode, the problem is the film crammed too much in IMO. You have the New Goblin, Venom, Sandman, Stacey, evil black stuff that turns Peter into an emo (obviously played for laughs) and some other crap.. and then theres some guff about Sandman's daughter... it was entertaining at the cinema, I enjoyed it! :) It just seemed a letdown after the first 2 films (and the brilliant Spiderman 3 trailer).
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »

Nolan's Batman did it twice, fairly successfullly.
    (Rhas Al Ghul/Scarecrow & Joker/Harvey Dent)

Superman II did it well (ish)

Meanwhile Superman Returns needed a second villain!
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure I posted this before. But originally it wasn't going to be Venom, it was going to be the Vulture, and they'd actually cast Ben Kingsley to play him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    I thought Spderman 3 was the best of the lot... I'm the only one I take it?

I did too!!! I was really shocked to find out how bad everyone else thought it was!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan's Batman did it twice, fairly successfullly.
    (Rhas Al Ghul/Scarecrow & Joker/Harvey Dent)

Superman II did it well (ish)

Meanwhile Superman Returns needed a second villain!

Do I not exist!?! ;)
    I did too!!! I was really shocked to find out how bad everyone else thought it was!

I thought it was good. To be honest, the second one wasn't great.
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just stumbled across this thread after just finishing watching Spider Man 3. I have watched all the films this week and have both versions of Spiderman 2 on DVD. I loved this film. OK perhaps Spider Man 2 was better in some respects but I really enjoyed the 3rd installment, and had my home cinema on really loud when watching it

I've never been a fan of Superman but I do like the Batman films. I wouldn't say I was one of the biggest superhero film fanatics, so perhaps I have a different perspective on this film