Community S4 US Pace

Comments

• hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just given it a 2nd viewing, to pick up on what I missed the 1st time. Funny I thought the on screen promos that came up during the Abed TV bits were real NBC ones until I looked closer on 2nd viewing :)

Am I the only one who thinks Fred Willard would have made a better Pierce than Chevy Chase.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »

Am I the only one who thinks Fred Willard would have made a better Pierce than Chevy Chase.

No way, he looked way too thin and haggard.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hated it. Didn't laugh once. Worst episode of Community to date, but hopefully things pick up next week.

Jeff taking part in the games was the best thing about the episode.

Abed is by far my worst character, I don't find his quirkiness funny anymore - just creepy. And the canned laughter stuff was beyond irritating.

Britta and Troy are terrible together, no chemistry whatsoever.

Pierce (my favourite) and Shirley were way underused and didn't have anything good to do.

Even Dean struggled to win me over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abed TV!!!

Good start for the first episode. Good old Jeff!
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me laugh a few times. Certainly not the train-wreck people seemed to be predicting.

Don't really understand the highly critical reactions it's been getting from some quarters.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    Don't really understand the highly critical reactions it's been getting from some quarters.
    I agree - it was a bit too "on the nose", and felt like it was trying too hard somewhat (Lots of Abed! Dean in a dress!), but if it had been slotted in the middle of a previous season I can't believe anyone would've really noticed that much... not a classic, but I laughed, and I'm going to keep watching...
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Good enough return. Not at it's finest, but I'm just glad to have it back to be honest.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Abed tv was a really good way of dealing with viewer uncertainty over the show. The canned laughter and Pierce being replaced was pretty much on the nose. Though it was a shame that the 'real world' stories were pretty poor. Annie's prank was pretty much a rehash of the last time they broke into the dean's office and Jeff's campaign to keep the group together felt a bit stale.

Is it bad that the only time I laughed out loud was the joke that 'Pierce' made about the space between Jeff's fingers during Abed tv? ;)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised that no one has posted about the 2nd episode yet.

Another disappointing one for me i'm afraid. The story was another retread of the 'Pierce feels neglected' theme with little added to it. It just isn't working at the moment . . . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised that no one has posted about the 2nd episode yet.

Another disappointing one for me i'm afraid. The story was another retread of the 'Pierce feels neglected' theme with little added to it. It just isn't working at the moment . . . . .

Yes I saw it a couple of days ago, but felt too 'Meh' to comment.

The show just feels like it is going through the motions at the moment.

There is something missing and I can't quite put my finger on what is missing.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I saw it a couple of days ago, but felt too 'Meh' to comment.

The show just feels like it is going through the motions at the moment.

There is something missing and I can't quite put my finger on what is missing.

I agree. It doesn't feel right, but I'm not sure exactly what it is that's wrong with it. Just not working at all for me so far.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    I agree. It doesn't feel right, but I'm not sure exactly what it is that's wrong with it. Just not working at all for me so far.

It's, truly, exactly as was said by Abed, "I remember when the show was about attending Community College."

The show has had quite a bit of success with focusing on the core characters. And it's been good. But now it's lost it's way. The show used to have fun focusing on the many characters. And that too was good. But I always remember (I think) the very 1st episode when the show was about a particular class. And how the subject matter of that class could be the point of the episode. Or how the teacher of that class could be a that weeks character; how there are certain kinds of teachers who fit around certain subjects...

I have really enjoyed all the episodes from every season, but I wish they'd use all the potential that is in the situation that this comedy is set in...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this latest episode compared to the first two, but I was looking forward to the Inspector Spacetime episode. :D

It felt like more of the good old Community. And, as always, Troy's parts are my favorite.

I do agree that the episodes I love the most take place in class/study group. I went back and re-watched the first season and I could really appreciate how great they were. I miss Chang being the Spanish teacher and I miss Duncan. I wish he'd been in later seasons.

I do look forward to seeing Malcolm McDowell as Professor Cornwallis. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A much better episode this week.

Lots of guest stars, Matt Lucas, Andrea Parker, Jeanie Garth and Luke Perry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this latest episode compared to the first two, but I was looking forward to the Inspector Spacetime episode. :D

It felt like more of the good old Community. And, as always, Troy's parts are my favorite.

I do agree that the episodes I love the most take place in class/study group. I went back and re-watched the first season and I could really appreciate how great they were. I miss Chang being the Spanish teacher and I miss Duncan. I wish he'd been in later seasons.

I do look forward to seeing Malcolm McDowell as Professor Cornwallis. :D

I thought Malcolm McDowell was meant to be playing another character
    Jeff's Dad

It's still early days but I'm enjoying the new season, but yeah, more Ian Duncan would be excellent! :D
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy that episode as much as normal.

It feels too far away from the college and its premise, and Troy/Britta seems forced and unnecessary.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I have not enjoyed the episodes so far of season 4 as it seems to have changed but I'm willing to give it a chance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I have not enjoyed the episodes so far of season 4 as it seems to have changed but I'm willing to give it a chance!

Trouble is I can't quite figure out what has changed. It just doesn't feel like the Community of old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is I can't quite figure out what has changed. It just doesn't feel like the Community of old.
    A change in writers and show runners will do that.

Honestly it seems like Community fan fiction, it doesn't have te nuanced parodies interlaced with the actual show's narrative and appropriate subversion of tropes contained in episodes such as the Law and Order or Gettysburg parodies. Instead the narrative is straight forward and the references are made to the material it seeks to parody, but they don't really link in.

For example, this recent episode should have had Abed as Inspector Spacetime losing Troy, the assistant, after being deceived by the apparently friendly but actually villainous foreigner in the form of Matt Lucas... maybe even parody the scene of David Tennant banging on one side of the wall while Bille Piper was banging on the other side after they'd been forcible seperated... only for Abed to then go "Oh wait, this is a British prop, the doors swing the other way" and for Troy to fall out into his arms or something. Maybe have Britta trying to assist Abed to find troy but being annoying the entire time with him going "Britta, there's always got to be one annoying sidekick and you are doing a great job, but let's try find Troy already, okay?"

Instead we got Jeff/Homer as Mr Sparkle/Thoraxis and the insensitive husband routine with Annie from about a dozen Simpsons episodes and the movie, Britta being the supportive girlfriend when before she's always been defensive and antagonistic (see her relationship with Jeff). She should have been going around the convention kicking up a fuss about women being objectified by wearing skimpy outfits... until she found one that looked really good on her. That's what Britta does, social justice campaigner... until something distracts her that she likes more. Jeff should have been trying to think of a way to sue the show until he realised it was based off a stock modelling shot he did to help pay for law school the first time, with him being relieved that all the "artistic" shots were not available and had been bought by a private collector... cut to the Dean going "Oooh... latex chaps!" while looking at some of them with Jeff dressed like an extra from Madonna's Sex book. Pierce should have been trying to impress people by bragging about getting drunk with William Shatner at a bat mitzvah during his TJ Hooker stint. Shirley should have been freaked out by the godlessness of people worshipping such weird stories that her kids might end up reading/watching only to end up buying a ton of merchandise once she got into it after being converted by a superfan/cute little girl.

This show is called Community but it's not Community at its core anymore, the heart of it has gone so now it's just a poor pretender compared to the first three series.
    Forum Member
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    I thought Malcolm McDowell was meant to be playing another character
    Jeff's Dad

It's still early days but I'm enjoying the new season, but yeah, more Ian Duncan would be excellent! :D

I would have loved it if Malcolm was playing Jeff's dad but
    James Brolin will be playing him. Though Dan Harmon wanted Bill Murray, unfortunately, that was never a possibility. :(

It's such a shame about John Oliver/Ian Duncan! I know Dan wanted more of him on the show but he was too busy with the Daily Show.

I knew that the show would never be the same without Dan and I was so depressed when he was fired (though he wasn't perfect either).

I just try to enjoy it for what it is now. It still has some of the same writers and is trying to follow the direction that Dan was going. That Inspector Spacetime convention episode was his idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have loved it if Malcolm was playing Jeff's dad but
    James Brolin will be playing him. Though Dan Harmon wanted Bill Murray, unfortunately, that was never a possibility. :(

It's such a shame about John Oliver/Ian Duncan! I know Dan wanted more of him on the show but he was too busy with the Daily Show.

I knew that the show would never be the same without Dan and I was so depressed when he was fired (though he wasn't perfect either).

I just try to enjoy it for what it is now. It still has some of the same writers and is trying to follow the direction that Dan was going. That Inspector Spacetime convention episode was his idea.

His idea... sure. However it lacked a role for each character. Community might do single focused episodes but it's usually an ensemble show whereas that doesn't seem to be the case right now. The first episode was Jeff centric, the second Pierce centric and the newest Abed centric. Shirley and Britta are basically making up the numbers and not getting much screen time.
    Forum Member
    His idea... sure. However it lacked a role for each character. Community might do single focused episodes but it's usually an ensemble show whereas that doesn't seem to be the case right now. The first episode was Jeff centric, the second Pierce centric and the newest Abed centric. Shirley and Britta are basically making up the numbers and not getting much screen time.

Yes it was his idea, I didn't say it was executed well, or the way he would have liked. Though I did like it better than the last two episodes, as I mentioned before.

I would say that a lot of characters have been sidelined throughout the show. Shirley being the major one. Dan admitted to not knowing what to do with her, which is evident when you watch previous seasons. I guess the new show runners might not be any better in that regard.

I think Pierce's character has been marginalized this season but I guess it might have something to do with the drama last season and the fact that he most likely didn't want to be there.

One of the new show runners loves Britta, so I'm sure we'll see plenty more of her. :)

I do think the show would benefit from having them all together in the study room again, focusing on their problems/relationships as a group. Or just having them in class at all.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    while Bille Piper was banging

She's still banging.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see the show set in the school again and featuring the other characters other than the study group more and I think that produced the best show of the season.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was the best episode of season 4 so far but that is not saying much as its been pretty poor so far.Lets hope it just gets better from here!