How long was the Doctor on Trenzalore in the Time of the Doctor?

2»

Comments

• Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Gallifrey years vary randomly between 50-500 Earth Days depending on the inclement weather so that may explain it ;-)

Possibly, it's worth considering as I see in one of the examples you were quoting, it was the scene with only the Doctor talking to his other incarnations, i.e. when the three of them were trapped together :)

I was also watching the Doctors' Wife yesterday and Idris kept repeating "700 years" to describe the duration of her relationship with the Doctor, i.e. 700 years from the time he stole her (or she stole him), yet she was talking to Eleven.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Khof wrote: »
    It was mentioned in the classic series (by the Third Doctor I think) that once a Time Lord reaches the age of 200, they are no longer considered "young".

That is odd though when you think about it

Say The 11th incarnation lasted around 1000 years before he died of old age

So that may be the average lifespan for a Time Lord before they have to regenerate that means they could live to be about 13,000 years old in that case 200 would be very young practically a teenager by our standers.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Possibly, it's worth considering as I see in one of the examples you were quoting, it was the scene with only the Doctor talking to his other incarnations, i.e. when the three of them were trapped together :)

I was also watching the Doctors' Wife yesterday and Idris kept repeating "700 years" to describe the duration of her relationship with the Doctor, i.e. 700 years from the time he stole her (or she stole him), yet she was talking to Eleven.

Apparently that 700 year quote fits in with the classic timeline quite well. The 11th was 909 at the Time which meant he stole the TARDIS at around 200.

When the fourth Doctor was 759 (according to The Ribos Operation), Romana mentioned in the Pirate Planet that the Doctor had been travelling in the TARDIS for 523 years. Makibng him 236 at the time he stole the TARDIS.

I don't know if we can assume Gallifreyan years for the age check in the Ribos Operation as the Wiki doesn't mention the circumstances that the age came up but I guess Romana could still have been talking about Gallifreyan years!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Does the Doctor speak in "Earth" years or "Gallifrey" years?

He's used both in the past but there's only been a few times where we know for certain which is being used.*

He would also use the local year on whatever planet he was on if there a while. For example the 8th Doctor spent 600 years on the planet Orbis but for all we know this may only have been a 100 Gallifreyian years (or it could be the other way round and a Gallifreyian year could be shorter than an Orbis year).

Same goes for Trenzalore, when the Doctor says the TARDIS has gone for 300 years he is most likely using Trenzalorian years.

*For example the 2nd Doctor specifically gives his age (about 450) in Earth years in one story but when Romana and the 4th Doctor are talking about his age they would obviously be using Gallifreyian years.

From that conversation we know the Doctor was about 235 (Gallifreyian years) when he stole the TARDIS but without knowing how Gallifreyian and Earth years correspond to each other we can't know how long it actually was for the Doctor between him stealing the TARDIS and giving his age as 450 Earth years.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    He's used both in the past but there's only been a few times where we know for certain which is being used.*

Just to point out, that sounds like you're stating a fact but there's actually no indication that it's the case based on the show itself. It would be pretty bad practice from a drama point of view as the audience will obviously assume Earth years and the writers will obviously have intended to represent Earth years. It could be a good solution but any suggestion that these are not Earth years is just a retcon.

Moffat's explanation for discrepancies is that he can neither properly keep track or remember his age and that sometimes he lies and forgets that he's lied.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

He would also use the local year on whatever planet he was on if there a while. For example the 8th Doctor spent 600 years on the planet Orbis but for all we know this may only have been a 100 Gallifreyian years (or it could be the other way round and a Gallifreyian year could be shorter than an Orbis year).

Same goes for Trenzalore, when the Doctor says the TARDIS has gone for 300 years he is most likely using Trenzalorian years.

*For example the 2nd Doctor specifically gives his age (about 450) in Earth years in one story but when Romana and the 4th Doctor are talking about his age they would obviously be using Gallifreyian years.

From that conversation we know the Doctor was about 235 (Gallifreyian years) when he stole the TARDIS but without knowing how Gallifreyian and Earth years correspond to each other we can't know how long it actually was for the Doctor between him stealing the TARDIS and giving his age as 450 Earth years.

Sounds clear as mud!

Maybe we should just stop counting :)
  • BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I think we should go with 800 years, since "The Time of the Doctor" was the 800th episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Looks like we have an answer on this question. It was 900 years!

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Tales-Of-Trenzalore-eBook-Cover-Details.aspx
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    Looks like we have an answer on this question. It was 900 years!

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Tales-Of-Trenzalore-eBook-Cover-Details.aspx

wow and add the 400 that Matt's Doctor was more than the War Doctor and subtract the 4 le 5 or something that was added with Chris's and Tennant's and you get 1295 or 1296 years for Matt's Doctor! Then add in the 904/905 hat was the other way incarnations and we have 2200 years old!