Options

Baddy Paddy Emmerdale

Comments

• Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I find Paddy cheating totally unbelievable.. I mean who would want him for a start!? especially a blonde bombshell like Tess.. would he know how to handle her in the bedroom!?

He seems such a weasel !

bib: Well according to Tess, they nearly broke the bed.:o:D
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bib: Well according to Tess, they nearly broke the bed.:o:D

Which is too disgusting to even think about. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this might be the intent. That the show is recognising Aaron's cycle of abuse that he inflicts on himself, dating back to his childhood. By being in love with the abusive Robert he is continuing that cycle and he is going to realise that Robert is no good for him and grow as a character.

If that happens, then we could be in for some actually decent scenes in the coming months. Though seeing the massive demand, clawing for the couple to reunite I don't think this is something we will ever see.

If that were the case it would be fantastic! But I didn´t even thought about that possibility because I´m sure Kate Oates didn´t have any other thing in her mind than reuniting them, without the excellent reason you suggested behind.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    I hope to god vile Paddy's genes are never passed on. Odious character.

:D:D:D
    If kind, sensitive Paddy is passed on, but they miss out the bumbling, cheating, pig stealing twerp that makes up 90>℅ of him I' d live with it
  • Options
    OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy has just had enough of Rhona the moaner and who can blame him she does go on a bit. :D
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the character of Paddy has been ruined. He used to have morals, decency....
  • Options
    Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy that plays Paddy is just an awful overactor. And is it really believable that someone like Tess, who is relatively attractive, would be interested in Paddy? Who looks like someone has shaved the Honey Monster and plonked him on set.
    PS. Am I the only one who couldn't care less about Aaron's latest storyline? It's just another chapter in this blokes misseryfest.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy that plays Paddy is just an awful overactor. And is it really believable that someone like Tess, who is relatively attractive, would be interested in Paddy? Who looks like someone has shaved the Honey Monster and plonked him on set.
    PS. Am I the only one who couldn't care less about Aaron's latest storyline? It's just another chapter in this blokes misseryfest.

BIB: Looks aren't everything. On the contrary I know some good looking blokes who are very arrogant and up themselves and some not so good looking ones who are lovely, kind and caring.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    BIB: Looks aren't everything. On the contrary I know some good looking blokes who are very arrogant and up themselves and some not so good looking ones who are lovely, kind and caring.
    Yes, we haven't met Tess's husband yet. He may be quite pretty but we don't know his character yet. :o

(That being said, I do think Tess is showing all the signs of being a budding bunny boiler, so we'll have to wait and see). :D
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Yes, we haven't met Tess's husband yet. He may be quite pretty but we don't know his character yet. :o

(That being said, I do think Tess is showing all the signs of being a budding bunny boiler, so we'll have to wait and see). :D

I think Paddy blaming Tess for ruining his adoption chances will prove a turning point in terms of how she feels about him.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it most unbelievable that paddy and rhona have never sexted, didn't they get together when she was with Marlon? Poor cow, she's got awful taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it most unbelievable that paddy and rhona have never sexted, didn't they get together when she was with Marlon? Poor cow, she's got awful taste.

Not really, all the blokes Rhona has ended up with she has deserved. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouroboros wrote: »
    Not really, all the blokes Rhona has ended up with she has deserved. :D

I quite like rhona even though she's incredible normal and therefore boring.
  • Options
    hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Paddy's defence, there is a difference between (theoretically) wanting a child of your own and turning that wish into reality without considering the consequences.

If circumstances were different, I'd even say it's a mature decision to accept that having a child with Rhona might not be the best option.

However, as it stands, I cannot help but see the whole adoption story as a plot device for Paddy's affair and the inevitable "shock reveal" when it falls apart.

Which is a shame, really. Adopting a child from a troubled family background is a huge commitment. Seeing Rhona talk about it as if she was getting a new pet or taking up a new hobby and everyone (bar Aaron, although sadly for his own reasons) happily going along with it makes it very hard for me to invest in the story or even take it seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you can understand paddy's reluctance to want to adopt the fear of having a 'troubled teen' to put up with after his experience of Aaron would be enough to put anyone off.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like rhona even though she's incredible normal and therefore boring.

I like normality, don't find it boring in the slightest. I like Dan and James because they're normal.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The character....Awful

The actor.....One trick pony
  • Options
    JohnMc1JohnMc1 Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whiskyrum wrote: »
    he should have been axed years ago

Mark Charnrock/Marlon should be long gone before they even think about axing Dominic Brunt/Paddy. Paddy is at his best in a supporting role. He brings out the best in certain characters [like Aaron and Chas] and he is decent when is given good material. He just doesn't come off as well when he's either in the spotlight [aka the story revolves around him] or the scripts are rubbish [like this storyline] Let's be honest here. Paddy for all intents and purposes should have been the one Aaron would naturally have confided in about being raped by Gordon. This affair with Tess has nothing more than needless drama and to drive a wedge between Aaron and Paddy so Robert can play the hero.

Oates clearly doesn't care and just like the Zak/Lisa/Joannie story she's more than likely leaving it up to the next producer to fix.
  • Options
    TeifiboiTeifiboi Posts: 14,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that no one is talking about Leo's situation in all this. Whilst both Paddy & Tess are behaving badly, Tess is also behaving very unprofessionally. We know that Tess is particularly important to Leo at this stage of his life, and had to be returned to Leo's class because Leo was difficult without her. Leo is Down's, as we all know, and so especially vulnerable. As and when the affair blows up, Leo is at risk of losing two very important people from his life, which will hit him particularly hard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Mark Charnrock/Marlon should be long gone before they even think about axing Dominic Brunt/Paddy. Paddy is at his best in a supporting role. He brings out the best in certain characters [like Aaron and Chas] and he is decent when is given good material. He just doesn't come off as well when he's either in the spotlight [aka the story revolves around him] or the scripts are rubbish [like this storyline] Let's be honest here. Paddy for all intents and purposes should have been the one Aaron would naturally have confided in about being raped by Gordon. This affair with Tess has nothing more than needless drama and to drive a wedge between Aaron and Paddy so Robert can play the hero.

Oates clearly doesn't care and just like the Zak/Lisa/Joannie story she's more than likely leaving it up to the next producer to fix.

I agree on pretty much everything. Paddy is great when he shares scenes with Aaron and Chas, sometimes fantastic. And his marriage with Rhona works. Marlon should go way before him that´s for sure.
    Aaron could have also confided in Adam. They are always there for each other but it´s been a long time since they shared a big story. Would have been the right time to give that friendship some shine. But yeah I´m convinced it is one of the few (I think she was great overall) mistakes Kate made. Reuniting Robert and Aaron at any cost, including the trouble that means having to accept Robert abused Aaron mentally and still they will be back together. Hard to digest for many. Wrong message (and I love the pairing and the actors, but don´t approve the second round and will be waiting for their future break up lol).
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    SoapGirl95 wrote: »
    Exactly. I hate the storyline anyway. I'm going to take this as an opportunity to say just how much I hate Paddy. He is a vile character in my opinion, pretending to be a nice guy when really he is extremely self centred, two faced, and hypocritical. I don't like Dominic Brunt either from what I've seen and read in his interviews. Paddy is poorly acted and one of my personal most hated characters in soap. I dont like the way he is so well loved in the village and him and the other characters all seem to think he's something he's not. I'm crossing my fingers that he gets his commupance and us either made to leave the village with his tail between his legs or killed off but none of the other characters care.

I agree. Well, I've never seen or read an interview with Dominic so not sure about that, but certainly the rest. Awful, awful character with some truly hilarious acting at times. Whenever he tries to act tough I about die laughing.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I find Paddy cheating totally unbelievable.. I mean who would want him for a start!? especially a blonde bombshell like Tess.. would he know how to handle her in the bedroom!?

He seems such a weasel !

Tess is a redhead.
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this might be the intent. That the show is recognising Aaron's cycle of abuse that he inflicts on himself, dating back to his childhood. By being in love with the abusive Robert he is continuing that cycle and he is going to realise that Robert is no good for him and grow as a character.

If that happens, then we could be in for some actually decent scenes in the coming months. Though seeing the massive demand, clawing for the couple to reunite I don't think this is something we will ever see.

That's a very good point. If it was about the cycle of abuse it'd make perfect sense, although as you say it's probably unlikely.
    :D:D:D
    If kind, sensitive Paddy is passed on, but they miss out the bumbling, cheating, pig stealing twerp that makes up 90>℅ of him I' d live with it

Agreed, he does have the odd sensitive and caring moment. Few and far between though, I think he's made out to be a lot nicer than he is. I just can't really see anything likeable about him, he's an almighty pain in the arse. On paper he's not nearly as bad as someone like Robert, but the latter is much more enjoyable, likeable and maybe forgivable as a character. There's little light and shade in Paddy, he's usually always being a tedious whining ********ed hypocrite and bringing a lot of his problems on himself. No wonder he's so fond of Aaron and Chas...
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a character like Paddy to have an affair a fair bit of build-up/groundwork is needed, more so than for characters who cheat/sleep around routinely. Yet he wasted no time in having sex with Tess in the back of cars. Nothing about this storyline rings true. They both come across as vile people.

Characters rarely come out of affairs looking likeable, but I think Paddy looks a bit worse than the norm due to the lack of development in the storyline. There's been little effort to show him emotionally torn. OK he's tried to cool things off recently but he didn't give a crap about Rhona to begin with. Neither of them did.

Even with characters who do this sort of thing all the time the stories are usually more developed than this. He did feel bad about his affair with Viv and that was a comedy storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really interested in this plot now, it's only a matter of time before it ask all comes crashing down for paddy.
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one good thing to come out of this storyline could be Tess doing her best Glenn Close impression and making Paddy's life a living hell.