Options

Molly's housetraining

Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, may I have some advice on house training please? Apologies if this is too much information!

We adopted a 10 month old lab lurcher cross called Molly on Good Friday. She's been an absolute star and settled in so well. In the first week we got used to her fussing at the door for her poo and wee breaks but we had a few accidents last week. Our routine so far has been:
6am I get up and get myself ready
6.30 Give Molly breakfast and walk her until 7. She usually pays her visits then. I go to work (if it's a weekend then she gets a stuffed kong and I go back to bed for a while)
Between 11am and 12noon she goes out for a walk with my husband
5pm it's her dinner
6-6.45pm walk and hopefully another visit
Midnight - pre bed wee visit.

However last Thursday morning she had a poo accident overnight. On Friday morning she pooped on the carpet at 6ish whilst I was getting ready. These were hard stools. Yesterday morning she did both a wee and a poo on the carpet. All a bit runny. However she did manage to pay all her visits outside afterwards for which we praised her and click treated. But at 6pm she peed on the carpet before I could take her out for her walk.

This morning I changed my routine so that she was taken out before I got dressed so we could avoid the morning carpet pooping. Nothing happened. We went again before I left for work. Nothing. My husband took her out at 9.30 for a walk and still nothing.

She was on James Wellbeloved and we weren't able to get any locally. Our vet said Hills Science Diet was okay but that seemed to tie in with her poo accidents on Thursday and Friday so I've phased this out to Pedigree. Because of yesterday, I'm tempted to mail order James Wellbeloved and stick only too that.

I am really worried that she was doing well and seemed house trained and somewhere along the line we've done something to interrupt her flow so to speak!

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome. She doesn't have a regular poop and wee spot - might that help her?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, 75 views no replies! :(

In that case can anyone recommend any good websites please? Thank you :)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Are you nowhere near a pets at home store..they stock james wellbeloved..

Do your feeding times cooincide with the poos..are you feeding her later or is she getting access to treats or other food that could mean she is fuller than you think..are you cleaning her things too much..sounds silly but are you washing her bedding every couple of days to keep is smelling nice..could it be she wants a bit of her own smell around..I am not a dog expert at all but seeing as noone else answered you thought I would:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the change in her diet was the catalyst for the accidents - new foods/meal should always be phased in. Its hard when they are still pups but stick to meal that seems to suit her and if you want to change - phase the new stuff in (a sudden change in some dogs causes accidents and colic type symptoms - speaking from experience). Also it may have been a bug or something she picked up.
    Hope she's on the mend x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    dont forget she is only 10 months, people expect pups to be house trained by 3 - 4 months but it can take upto 2 years to be 100% foolproof (so to speak) and labs are known for problems too!. Its probably due to diet, but don't be disheartened if she isn't perfect yet - just keep going!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies :)

I've got a delivery of James Well beloved from Pet Supermarket so that's all sorted out. I think we're getting there and got her into a routine of sorts with an early morning visit before I do anything else. We had one accident of the poo sort yesterday and we're making sure that she knows we're unhappy with body language - she just won't budge when she starts to squat. But that's better than two or three we were having. We're also containing her to the back of the house were it's a hard floor until she's been for a visit and not on precious carpets. It is only the mornings, never at night oddly.

We're going to build her up to an extra half hour later tomorrow if only because I can't face getting up at 6am at the weekend!

Thanks for the nudge about her age - I needed that I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I think extending it a little bit sounds like a good idea, can she get outside on her own? Can u go down at x o'clock and open the back door and leave it? Have u tried the puppy mats? Maybe leave her with one, and if she uses it then u know it's not a behavioural problem, but more of a 'not being able to hold it ' problem...