Options

Whatever the result, Scots have long memories....

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they said England, either way it's the same - they could have said Cardiff or anywhere else that isn't in Scotland but in the UK, it will still be the UK.

I've said here before that I'm not fussed either way but that was forgetting the chip some of you Scots have and especially over petty things like that.

My swingometer has moved from center and has nearly gone past the 'sorry to see you go' pointer - the next one says 'good riddance'.

I think a lot of Scots think there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in England, if they leave. Whereas the majority don't give two shits.

Over the years, many of them have made no secret of the fact they don't like the English, so sod them.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    .....and Asda, Sainsbury's, RBS and Standard Life......you will want our custom still, good luck with that! I for one will be voting with my feet.

When I read this original post, I hadn't got a bloody clue what you were talking about. Now that I've read the rest of the thread I am pretty well back up to speed (I hope). Communication eh, or lack of it in your case.

>:(
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    So they said England, either way it's the same - they could have said Cardiff or anywhere else that isn't in Scotland but in the UK, it will still be the UK.

I've said here before that I'm not fussed either way but that was forgetting the chip some of you Scots have and especially over petty things like that.

My swingometer has moved from center and has nearly gone past the 'sorry to see you go' pointer - the next one says 'good riddance'.

Well sorry to say that you are as much a fool as the. Yes voters. Don't all you 'good riddancers' realise how deeply affected you will be?
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must admit I'm starting to feel the very same way too.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You would presume that Westminster wouldn't be belligerent or vindictive enough to damage the estimated £50bn~ a year in trade that would still occur between Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

We'd be big trading partners, and still connected by the monarchy and so forth.

I just don't think the UK would adopt a position of treating Scotland as if it's a Western North Korea, long term it wouldn't be a very productive rhetoric.

Not wanting to enter into a currency union isn't the same as declaring war. Scotland could continue to use the pound, just not be part of a currency union. Scotland have more to lose than rUK by not having the pound, and rUK risk more than Scotland by entering into a currency union.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it explains why it's ignorant/arrogant for the politicians to presume it will happen.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....and Asda, Sainsbury's, RBS and Standard Life......you will want our custom still, good luck with that! I for one will be voting with my feet.

They are only saying the truth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The UK population will revolt against any government who reneges on their statement there will be no currency union. There's absolutely no way that any sane government would underwrite hundreds of billions of pounds in what would be effectively a foreign country. This would effectively make Scotland akin to a banana state, who would be gobbled up by the international markets who would slice of the choice cuts and leave the chaff in their wake. The prospect of a crash and no lender of last resort would send businesses and people scurrying across the border. Lending would almost dry up overnight, as why would you lend money to someone who has no guarantor?

Scotland can bluster about their exports being needed by the UK., but we import more from them than we export. It's a buyers market, so the larger partner will be in the driving seat, particularly as they have a variety of choices as to where to buy stuff from. If whisky goes up in price, then people will either pay the premium or buy something else that is cheaper. It's just simple commercial acumen.

Those who say that major institutions are scaremongering on the notion of higher prices and/or pulling out of Scotland should take heed. Many will see Scotland as a small portion of their overall trade, but irrespective of that, if there is a change their overheads rise in dealing with a foreign country, then they will get passed on. Equally, if the competition wanes, or there is an opportunity to increase prices, then they will do so without hesitation. The primary objective of a major retailer or corporation is to make profit, both to reinvest in their business and pay a dividend to their shareholders. These are the people they are answerable to and any commercial outfit generally has no interest in being benevolent to any customer - they just create the impression they are looking out for your best interests with cheap tricks and clever marketing.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I forget. What are the benefits of an independent Scotland. Y'know, apart from liberation from us nasty ol' London-centric Germanic English imperialists?

So the whole Yes campaign is really based on closet racism.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    So the whole Yes campaign is really based on closet racism.

And a comfortable and long held victim mentality which conveniently ignores many of the realities of history. The whole resentment of the English thing has always been a bit tedious imo.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Well sorry to say that you are as much a fool as the. Yes voters. Don't all you 'good riddancers' realise how deeply affected you will be?

A lot of people think it'll be worth it
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you do all realise if it is a yes this is just the beginning of years of fighting between the two countries over debt, ownership, currencies etc.

It will be a never ending squabble over "they did this" "they did that" "we can't give you free this because of Westminster" "Your xxx will cost more because of independence".

This is a bomb and if it goes off the damage will be significant.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    And a comfortable and long held victim mentality which conveniently ignores many of the realities of history. The whole resentment of the English thing has always been a bit tedious imo.

Yes, the language used by many of the yes campaigners seems to be aimed at giving the impression of England as the oppressors of a vanquished nation - "ruled by Westminster" etc. The fact is that Scotland is fairly represented in Parliament like the rest of the UK, and has its own government on top of that.

I'm sure there are some yes voters who know nothing about how Scotland and England actually came to be in a union in the first place and like to think of independence as some kind of liberation.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just think of all the Scottish MP's, former party leaders their are have been in Westminster in the last 25 years

Danny Alexander, Alaistair Darling, Gordon Brown, John Smith etc.

For many years it was the English complaining about the amount of Scots running or having a say on England.

Seems Scots forget how powerful some of their countrymen have been in the UK.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I’m looking forward to the windfall that the rest of the UK will enjoy when Scotland becomes a pariah state, led by the blinkered, egotistical windbag Kim Jong-Salmond, and ceases to have the riches and benefits that flow northwards into his ‘Kingdom’.

After the ‘YES’ vote next Thursday some of the cash we save must be used to begin the immediate re-construction of Hadrian’s Wall....... probably best if it was re-named ‘Camerons’ Wall.....for the sake of irony/wind-up purposes.

It won’t be long before all the Northern border crossings resemble the chaos that is now engulfing the French ports, and Calais in particular.

There’ll soon be hordes of desperate Scots attempting to illegally enter the ‘promised land’ in search of a better life; clutching little more than a few 10-Sporrran Notes (or whatever Salmond wishes to call his soon-to-be worthless currency) and a four-pack of Tennents Super.

Mark my words.

Scotland votes on Thursday......oh ‘YES’............please!
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad to see so many anti Scots posts in this thread. :(
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Over the years, many of them have made no secret of the fact they don't like the English, so sod them.
    That's not true.

It's just those in Southern East Anglia that we dislike.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    It's sad to see so many anti Scots posts in this thread. :(

Most people on here probably aren't anti-scottish they're just fed up of Alex Salmond acting like a scorned woman in a divorce (sorry other women) just exchange some of his "ruled by Westminster" to "you're always telling me what to do" or "we'll keep the pound" to "I want custody of the dog" and you'll see where I'm coming from
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Yes or no. There's going to be some resentment going on for a long time.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    They can't use the sterling without a currency union. No way would the be able to use the Euro.

They can use whatever they want. Sheesh, I despair of the political debate up here atm but when people come out with guff like that ( ^ ^ ^ ) it almost seems elevated.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    That's not true.

lol... :D
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    They can use whatever they want. Sheesh, I despair of the political debate up here atm but when people come out with guff like that ( ^ ^ ^ ) it almost seems elevated.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Is it not also true that people and companies who support a "yes" vote should also consider this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Yes or no. There's going to be some resentment going on for a long time.

This does worry me. I think no matter which way the votes go, I think a lot of damage has been done.

I am also beginning to have thoughts along the lines of 'Don't let the door hit you on your way out' too.
  • Options
    CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    That's not true.

And some people on here live here, so forgive us for taking personal attacks personally
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all that could change with Scotland being a non EU country, tarrifs may be applied to anything we buy from them.

Presumably any tarrifs would be balanced by the same on anything you sell.

Don't see it happening myself - A trade war initiated out of spite is in no one's best interest.