Options

storing a fridge freezer

katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
is it ok to leave it on its side for a few months?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this advice on a self storage company website
    3. Keep it upright.

A failed compressor is a common cause of broken refrigerators, and moving a fridge can instigate the issue. When moving and storing your refrigerator, try to minimize tipping. You’re going to need a dolly or hand truck to move it— don’t try to muscle it with two people. Do not move or store the fridge laying on its side. If you do angle it while moving in our out (you’ll likely have to, to get it into a truck), let the unit sit for at least 48 hours before plugging it in again.

Here’s a quick technical breakdown of why this occurs: In modern fridges, high-pressure gas is moved to the condensor as the compressor runs. When tipped over, actual fluids (not gas) will run from the compressor to the condenser. Once the appliance is returned to its proper position, the tubing won’t allow all the oil to run back into the compressor where it belongs. When the compressor is started with oil in the condenser, it’s pushed further back into the condenser coil and onto the evaporator. There, it becomes cold and viscous. It will be unable to return home to the compressor, which fails due to lack of oil.
    http://blog.sparefoot.com/570-storing-a-fridge/

There is similar advice about keeping the fridge/freezer upright on plenty of other websites.

So looks like the answer to the question is no, if you want the fridge to work again.
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

There is similar advice about keeping the fridge/freezer upright on plenty of other websites.

So looks like the answer to the question is no, if you want the fridge to work again.

It's always best to keep the freezer up right, as oil can run out of the sump. It would depend on what side it is laid flat. However I can't see a reason to store one laid flat, unless you're storing it in a hobbit hole?

Stand it up. takes up less area.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

I would disagree Chris, and the link you posted was pretty poor on most fronts (such as not lifting them with two people).

It's common, and perfectly normal, to transport them on their side - it's next to impossible to get them in a van otherwise :D The boxes are normally marked as to which side to lay it on as well.

Also, the instructions tell you how long to leave it stood back up before you plug it back in (usually two to four hours), to allow the oil to return back to the compressor.

However, I'm with Fists of Fedor, why lie it down for storage anyway? - takes less room stood up.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it cant be stored upright because the space is too low. so now its almost on its side but propped up on bricks to keep the oil down where it belongs. if it breaks, it breaks, cant be helped. thanks for your replies. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    it cant be stored upright because the space is too low. so now its almost on its side but propped up on bricks to keep the oil down where it belongs. if it breaks, it breaks, cant be helped. thanks for your replies. :)

As long as it's at an angle, with the compressor at the bottom corner, then the oil can't run out - so it's as good as stood up :D
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If it's stood unused for a few months then I think there's a fair chance the compressor will sieze-up during this time, anyway, if the fridge/freezer isn't kept running.

It won't matter then whether it's been stored upright or on it's side because it won't work again. These things don't like being switched off and left.
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    If it's stood unused for a few months then I think there's a fair chance the compressor will sieze-up during this time, anyway, if the fridge/freezer isn't kept running.

It won't matter then whether it's been stored upright or on it's side because it won't work again. These things don't like being switched off and left.

Forgive me - but they'll stand for that long in transport and storage before selling. Compressors sieze from a lack of lubrication whilst in operation, not dimply having been stood.

Seals do not like non operation particularly however. But since such systems are largely hermetic, that problem is minimised as well.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a spare Upright Freezer and I only switch it on when defrosting the freezer that is in use all the time. We never seem to have any problems with the spare freezer. I just thought we sometimes use spare at Christmas and BBQ times.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And please, wherever you store it, make sure children cannot get into it - e.g. have the doors facing a wall, , tie them up, or put something heavy on the lid if its a chest freezer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

As already mentioned, completely untrue.