Options

Showbiz SingingLegend DAME SHIRLEY BASSEY Sings For Us On Strictly-How Lucky Are We?

Comments

• Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Bond film and my favourite Bond song. She totally nailed it!
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not stand her in the 60s , so I have not changed my mind , went to make coffee when she came on...
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    I could not stand her in the 60s , so I have not changed my mind , went to make coffee when she came on...

Then don't bother commenting on a thread about her....:confused:
  • Options
    lorrieathomelorrieathome Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I was worried in case the years might have diminished her voice - but I needn't have worried because she was pure quality. Thank you for that treat Strictly! :)
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallc wrote: »

Big mistake you missed a classic performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was worried in case the years might have diminished her voice - but I needn't have worried because she was pure quality. Thank you for that treat Strictly! :)

Thank you indeed, pure Gold.
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a dodgy note right at the start, I thought uh-oh, this is going to be grim - but thank God she seemed to warm into it and got better as she went on.
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Shirley's a true legend, a real superstar. I will actually watch the results show and I rarely watch it.

Well you had a treat, as did we all. Dame Shirley is a true superstar. For once she did NOT need the dancers and I wish they had just left her on her own. I loved her.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    Sorry didn't see this thread and started a new one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you had a treat, as did we all. Dame Shirley is a true superstar. For once she did NOT need the dancers and I wish they had just left her on her own. I loved her.

I wish the dancers were not there too, she needed no distractions, singing alone is where she is best at home.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is she ?
    There were no close ups
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    How old is she ?
    There were no close ups

77 I think.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    beginning and end were ever so slightly dodgy, but she has a way of not making it matter in the slightest, what a powerhouse of a performance.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was going to be terrible. But she has taken good care of her larynx and there is still power in her diaphragm. Just the odd duff note. But still a PROPER performance.
    Incredible.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    beginning and end were ever so slightly dodgy, but she has a way of not making it matter in the slightest, what a powerhouse of a performance.

Yes, the opening line had me worried but i needn't have been. A rare talent.
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Shirley was amazing. Must be something about the Welsh as she and Tom Jones have kept their voices whereas the likes of Paul McCartney, Elton, Cliff and Meat Loaf have all lost theirs.
  • Options
    phoenixhajphoenixhaj Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I wish the dancers were not there too, she needed no distractions, singing alone is where she is best at home.

Shirley Bassey was fabulous. Wish the BBC would understand when there is a star in the house there is no need for anyone else. Shirley on her own without the dancers was more than enough. There are singers and then there are stars and Shirley is a star.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley was amazing. Must be something about the Welsh as she and Tom Jones have kept their voices whereas the likes of Paul McCartney, Elton, Cliff and Meat Loaf have all lost theirs.

I bet she and Tom still have singing teachers and still do vocal warm-ups etc to protect their voices.
    I doubt if the others have ever had a singing lesson.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off key at the beginning but her performance was great - unlike the old ffool, a true star.

So much better than those untalented, unmusical inarticulate simians that spoiled the programme earlier.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phoenixhaj wrote: »
    Shirley Bassey was fabulous. Wish the BBC would understand when there is a star in the house there is no need for anyone else. Shirley on her own without the dancers was more than enough. There are singers and then there are stars and Shirley is a star.
    But then no dancers and she would've been called a diva. I liked it better that the dancers were there from the start ... MUCH better idea. None of that embarrassing applause when they appear and both dancers and singers can be appreciated equally.
    She's still got a great set of lungs.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great performance. Made up for that awful noise earlier.

I notice Shirley Bassey is trending on Twitter LOL!

I think the great thing about her is that she doesn't appear on TV that much. Maybe a couple of times a year on telly? When she does appear it's still something pretty special.

I assume that's partly how she's protected her voice after all these years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the great thing about her is that she doesn't appear on TV that much. Maybe a couple of times a year on telly? When she does appear it's still something pretty special.

She was on Graham Norton recently and was as sharp as ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    She was on Graham Norton recently and was as sharp as ever.

Oh dear I missed it, did she sing as well or there only as a guest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its amazing that she still has that power in her voice its remarkable, I'm not surprised that Dame Shirley is trending on twitter she is very popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Oh dear I missed it, did she sing as well or there only as a guest.

Just a guest i think.