I thought Digital Spy was a place to share opinion...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
Forum Member
✭✭
I joined Digital Spy a week or so ago because I thought that it would be nice to get some interesting, adult opinions on X Factor, rather than reading through the nasty comments and personal attacks on Twitter and Facebook. What I have learned since I joined last week is that Digital Spy is pretty much the same as Twitter and Facebook, but just with longer posts and better spelling.

Last night I logged on to see the posts and 7 out of the top 10 were pretty much 'Fleur is amazing' and 2 were 'Andrea is rubbish'. Anyone who tried to say that they didn't think that Fleur was quite as amazing as other people did, no matter how well-structured their opinion or how many good points they raised, were immediately told they were 'bitter', 'jealous', 'a troll', 'a hater' or similar. This is the same pattern that has happened on this forum since I joined. Poor Lauren and Ben hardly get a mention, and the opinions on here are so polarized that hardly any true debate can ever seemingly take place without things getting immediately nasty. Andrea seems to engender a disproportional level of dislike, with people sometimes writing post after post in the same thread about how, whilst people might think that they like his singing, they are actually wrong to. No casual observer is going to even bother trawling through all these similar posts - quite frankly it is extremely tedious.

It's a real shame. Is it like this every year? If it is, I don't think I'll bother thanks...

Comments

• jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined Digital Spy a week or so ago because I thought that it would be nice to get some interesting, adult opinions on X Factor, rather than reading through the nasty comments and personal attacks on Twitter and Facebook. What I have learned since I joined last week is that Digital Spy is pretty much the same as Twitter and Facebook, but just with longer posts and better spelling.

Last night I logged on to see the posts and 7 out of the top 10 were pretty much 'Fleur is amazing' and 2 were 'Andrea is rubbish'. Anyone who tried to say that they didn't think that Fleur was quite as amazing as other people did, no matter how well-structured their opinion or how many good points they raised, were immediately told they were 'bitter', 'jealous', 'a troll', 'a hater' or similar. This is the same pattern that has happened on this forum since I joined. Poor Lauren and Ben hardly get a mention, and the opinions on here are so polarized that hardly any true debate can ever seemingly take place without things getting immediately nasty. Andrea seems to engender a disproportional level of dislike, with people sometimes writing post after post in the same thread about how, whilst people might think that they like his singing, they are actually wrong to. No casual observer is going to even bother trawling through all these similar posts - quite frankly it is extremely tedious.

It's a real shame. Is it like this every year? If it is, I don't think I'll bother thanks...

Although i am a very big Fleur fan, you make some very valid points. Unfortunately it is like this most years. There are always one or two acts that always get a lot of love, or a lot of hate. or a mixture of both. I guess it will always be the same.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In defense - good post op but some people go all way to say if we like Fleur we are manipulated and giving in to cowells bs but isn't is just fair to say fair enough i don't like Fleur's voice and she's not to my taste instead of insulting her - same goes for all of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    The XF forums are like this, year in and year out. Very few people have even got anywhere near as close as working in the music industry but armchair people become music critics overnight.

Showbusiness is one tough business to crack. Social media isnt the greatest forum to express professional views. Why would any professional logon to one of these channels?
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Well said OP.......the forum has at times gone out of control to the point that, for instance, the term racism has come to the fore. ...and of course if it applies to a person who not much favoured on here. ..a thread has to be created and all who post on there has to be in agreement...or else!!!

Thank goodness for appreciation threads. ..where all who support an act, can come together and do just that. ....SUPPORT!!!:D:D
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The forum favourite will always be protected to the death, as with the the years chosen hated one being criticised within an inch of their life. It was a particularly nasty year when Christopher Maloney was in the competition. The venom on here was literally unbearable. You'll notice certain posters names after a while. The ones who mindlessly defend their favourite no matter what valid argument is thrown at them, just ignore.

Believe it or not though a lot of people have a lot of interesting, unbiased things to say.

Also these forums are particularly useful for learning about how the shows manipulation works
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one thing criticising an act that is not to your taste, which is fair enough, everyone is entitled to do so, but calling people names who happen to like the act, which some posters have done, is just displaying a plain petulant attitude.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is amazing this year or that anyone is carp either, Jake Q was very weak but not a complete trout.

Repetitive threads always happen just after the show and most will drift away into the nether.

The 'I want to have Fleur's baby's' or 'Andrea must be loathed by all' posters are pretty vocal but are in the minority, the discussion is usually better throughout the week.

I have to say though I don't do Twitter, I read the odd link and in no way is this as bad as that.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,648
    Forum Member

Stick around and help make it less Twitter-like. There are still some forum members who are capable of sensible comment/debate. :)
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find this post hard to believe. Better spelling???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. I had to stop posting on the BB threads as I was getting comments like "OMG are you stupid - are you watching the same programme as the rest of us" etc. I also joined DS as I thought it would be a good place to read others comments, debate etc but have found that I have to be extremely careful. The same things seem to happen on all the popular threads so I just back off now.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Is digitalspy really that bad? It can be a bit repetitive, and extremely ridiculous, but in terms of hatefulness I don't find it that bad. It's like that on the weekly show discussion topic where everyone kind of acts like a negative cantankerous old woman, but on the forum itself I don't think it's quite as bad as you're making out? There's a vocal minority who shouldn't be allowed computer access, but for the most part people on here are fairly decent.

Also, I think one of the things people on here tend to forget is that you have the right to express your opinion, but that's not the same as having the right to your opinion being uncontested. If you post something someone disagrees with, they're just an entitled to disagree with it as you are to have the belief in the first place. I see more people getting bitchy at people disagreeing with them than I see people getting bitchy while disagreeing in the first place.

I don't know, maybe I just have an unreasonably high bar for what I'd consider people being nasty.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is digitalspy really that bad? It can be a bit repetitive, and extremely ridiculous, but in terms of hatefulness I don't find it that bad. It's like that on the weekly show discussion topic where everyone kind of acts like a negative cantankerous old woman, but on the forum itself I don't think it's quite as bad as you're making out? There's a vocal minority who shouldn't be allowed computer access, but for the most part people on here are fairly decent.

Also, I think one of the things people on here tend to forget is that you have the right to express your opinion, but that's not the same as having the right to your opinion being uncontested. If you post something someone disagrees with, they're just an entitled to disagree with it as you are to have the belief in the first place. I see more people getting bitchy at people disagreeing with them than I see people getting bitchy while disagreeing in the first place.

I don't know, maybe I just have an unreasonably high bar for what I'd consider people being nasty.

No, you are always very reasoned with your views. I guess that sometimes we can all go a bit over the top with our comments sometimes, and i include myself with regards to that, but there is an element of posters who can tend to be rude just for the sake of it which is rather pointless really.