Options

Smart Series links?

aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now that we have "smart" series links that are supposed to take into account series breaks, i assume the links should reappear when the series restarts.

I recieved an email on Sunday telling me that New:NCIS was restarting on Friday at 9:00pm on FoxHD, but there was no sign of the series link in my planner. I could have left it, but didn't want to miss it, so I added it manually.

Does anyone have any idea how long before a series restarts that existing links are re-added to the planner?

Comments

• Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A maximum of 7.25 days before the scheduled broadcast time. This time will decrease if the box wasn't populating future epg information.

Your box would have needed to have been running the new R010 software when the last episode of the previous series aired in order to pick the new serise. Your box would also have needed to successfully record the last episode of the serise.

Smart Serise links are not available on DRX-780 boxes even if they are running R010.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    A maximum of 7.25 days before the scheduled broadcast time. This time will decrease if the box wasn't populating future epg information.

Your box would have needed to have been running the new R010 software when the last episode of the previous series aired in order to pick the new serise. Your box would also have needed to successfully record the last episode of the serise.

Smart Serise links are not available on DRX-780 boxes even if they are running R010.

I notice you say record. Does that mean that smart series link only works if you're recording and not just reminding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    I notice you say record. Does that mean that smart series link only works if you're recording and not just reminding?

Just had it confirmed, SSL applies to reminders as well.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not foolproof. Home and Away on Five easily caught up after the break over Christmas. Neighbours did not and had to be set manually.

I wait to see if longer gaps from Sky shows or Universal ones that ended before Christmas reset when these finally return.

NICIS did not reset for us and had to be manually reset but was not expecting it to because the last episode aired before the new software arrived.

Law and Order: SVU is back on Universal in about a month so if that resets after a 7/8 week gap it will be an improvement as that did not occur previously.

Returns after a couple of weeks (such as Countdown) happened before the new software and did again this Christmas.

But, of course, all this will depend upon the channels using the new software codes correctly,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had it confirmed, SSL applies to reminders as well.

Cheers, thats good to know. I searched everywhere to get an answer to no avail. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I used to have Newswatch on series link and last Friday a program called Reporters in the same slot recorded on series link (Newswatch is not on at the moment).
  • Options
    PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will it link to a series that is now called "New: My Programme" if previously you were recording "My Programme" at the second showing i.e. at 2.00am rather than in prime time? Still puzzled why the broadcasters insist on adding "New", when the synopsis normally displays S3: 1 of 22 or the like! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    Will it link to a series that is now called "New: My Programme" if previously you were recording "My Programme" at the second showing i.e. at 2.00am rather than in prime time? Still puzzled why the broadcasters insist on adding "New", when the synopsis normally displays S3: 1 of 22 or the like! :confused:

Yes it will, however when the new serise starts it will schedule the first showing to be recorded.
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like them to put new in I on control for information
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if my 2tb will pick up Walking Dead next month?
    I have started watching and seen about 4 now.
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Mid season breaks never effected series links before the smart series link, so they should all be picked up regardless
  • Options
    TestingTimesTestingTimes Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that a couple of series links didn't pick up, even though they were added after R010..... release arrived on my box. Did they have problems initially after release?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if my 2tb will pick up Walking Dead next month?
    I have started watching and seen about 4 now.

I'm crossing fingers on this one, I'm away so won't be able to set it with Sky's 7 day EPG. There were some benefits to Virgins 14day guide.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    You can set the recording up remotely online from anywhere of course.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    You can set the recording up remotely online from anywhere of course.
    :)

And if you combine this with Sky's "Never Miss" service, you should be covered in the event of a missing "Smart Series" link. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tonight the repeats of S8 of The Big Bang Theory kicked in. If a clash didn't pop up onscreen then I wouldn't have known.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you know if you have this box? My series links never resume - even though my box says under 'settings' and 'software' that "series link has been improved to record all the episodes from every new series..."

It just doesn't work at all though? And yes the shows that aren't resuming were on after the upgrade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    How do you know if you have this box? My series links never resume - even though my box says under 'settings' and 'software' that "series link has been improved to record all the episodes from every new series..."

It just doesn't work at all though? And yes the shows that aren't resuming were on after the upgrade.

SETTINGS > SYSTEM DETAILS
    If the Version number starts with 4F30 then you have a DRX-780 Sky+HD box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SETTINGS > SYSTEM DETAILS
    If the Version number starts with 4F30 then you have a DRX-780 Sky+HD box.

Mine is 4f31 - so it should work then?? When do the recordings get re-added? (Ie a week in advance)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Mine is 4f31 - so it should work then?? When do the recordings get re-added? (Ie a week in advance)

Yes your box is compatible with Smart Serise link.

The recording will be added a maximum of 7.25 days before the scheduled broadcast time. This time will decrease if your box isn't populating future epg data.

There's a small group of people reporting that there box has been displaying searching for listing etc when browsing the TVGuide, this seems to coincide with the serise link dropping off issue that Sky is investigating and would make sense.

Try searching further into the TVGuide and see if you get a similar searching for listing message.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far not that impressed. Blue Bloods did not link to next Wednesday after its 3/4 week break over Christmas. So Sky's own channels are as hit and miss as ever with the new software.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far not that impressed. Blue Bloods did not link to next Wednesday after its 3/4 week break over Christmas. So Sky's own channels are as hit and miss as ever with the new software.

It did here though as its shown up in my planner (SD box).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes your box is compatible with Smart Serise link.

The recording will be added a maximum of 7.25 days before the scheduled broadcast time. This time will decrease if your box isn't populating future epg data.

There's a small group of people reporting that there box has been displaying searching for listing etc when browsing the TVGuide, this seems to coincide with the serise link dropping off issue that Sky is investigating and would make sense.

Try searching further into the TVGuide and see if you get a similar searching for listing message.

Nope no message sadly. Tested it a few times today. I guess i better just keep using sky never miss!
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member

Thanks for the reminder, didn't know it is back so soon and no mine didn't link either. Going to set to record a series link now.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not very impressed either. So far not one series link has resumed after the Christmas break.