Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Trailer now out. Due for release in the UK July 17 '14.
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.

http://youtu.be/h_9-3Fj3ZdI

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks stunning and I cannot wait.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Hope it improves on Rise, which was OK in a popcorn sort of way but felt a bit feeble compared to the originals (much like the Burton film, if truth be told). Looks interesting, though, and I'll see it when it comes out.

Does anyone think that origins stories tend to kill the mystery of the originals? Part of the interest in the original PotA was that how the apes became the dominate species and the humans animalistic, and we didn't exactly know how it came about (other than nuclear war being a factor in the original film). Part of me feels that even though these films can be interesting, you do lose something. Don't get me wrong, the blame for this isn't on Rise and Dawn, for it goes back to Escape, Conquest and Battle for the PotA. Still, starting from the start means that the mystery isn't there.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Rise and think I'll love this one too - looks a lot darker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Hope it improves on Rise, which was OK in a popcorn sort of way but felt a bit feeble compared to the originals (much like the Burton film, if truth be told). Looks interesting, though, and I'll see it when it comes out.

Does anyone think that origins stories tend to kill the mystery of the originals? Part of the interest in the original PotA was that how the apes became the dominate species and the humans animalistic, and we didn't exactly know how it came about (other than nuclear war being a factor in the original film). Part of me feels that even though these films can be interesting, you do lose something. Don't get me wrong, the blame for this isn't on Rise and Dawn, for it goes back to Escape, Conquest and Battle for the PotA. Still, starting from the start means that the mystery isn't there.

Agree entirely.
    A PotA film means Chuck Heston, Roddy Mcdowall, Maurice Evans etc etc
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Very nice teaser: the scent of it, rather than the full taste, as Ebert once noted.
    Still, starting from the start means that the mystery isn't there.
    Anchoring it too much to the films own past would be a good way of doing that. We don't know what direction Fox are taking this franchise yet (and presumably they'll want a good run of Ape films). Perhaps in this iteration the apes are overthrown.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rise was amazing and one of the best films of 2012, its a shame franco is not in this one but by all accounts his character is not warranted. hope new director can get the job done as well as rises did.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks amazing. Can not wait
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it make more sense if the first was called "Dawn" and the second "Rise"?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Loved the first one too. Cant wait for Dawn!
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that the apes don't become the BAD GUYS in this. Throughout the first film i was on their side!!
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They'd already had an origin story in the original movies. Two in fact.

Essentially Rise of of the POTA was a remake of Conquest. Given that it's seen in hindsight as one of the better sequels despite a mixed reaction at the time I think it was probably the correct rout to go down.

I would've just skipped ahead to a new POTA movie set after mans downfall rather than milking the unexpected hit they had with the concept of an origin movie.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the trailer, cannot wait for the movie. Shame Franco isn't on board, but Gary Oldman more than makes up for it.
    Forum Member
    When Franco took Caesar home and gave him the bottle at the table, did anyone want to adopt him there and then because of how cute he was ??

(Caesar, not Franco)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the monkies win.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »
    They'd already had an origin story in the original movies. Two in fact.

I know, and I said in my post that Rise and Dawn couldn't be blamed for that, for it was done in the original set of films, but I still feel that starting from the beginning sort of loses some of the mystery that was such an impact in the first film of 1968. I do enjoy Escape (my second favourite of all the films), Conquest and, to a very lesser degree, Battle, but I do feel that some of the mystique was also lost by going down that route, even if many of the fans wanted more. That's not to say that that perceived loss kills the films for me, which as I said, I enjoyed despite my issue with them, but I do wonder if being given more can also mean having something else taken away. Still, we're there now, spoilt mystery or not, and I'm fine to go along with the ride (especially seeing that I have all the five original films, the TV series, the Burton film and Rise on DVDs, as well as the Pierre Boulle novel and a few of the films' novelisations, and begs the point that I'm happy to spoil myself and should share some of the blame for the issue I raise ;) ).
    Essentially Rise of of the POTA was a remake of Conquest. Given that it's seen in hindsight as one of the better sequels despite a mixed reaction at the time I think it was probably the correct rout to go down.

Rise was a reboot rather than a remake. The story in Rise doesn't fit the original films other than share the same theme. Still, maybe I'm appearing to be a bit too picky with the remake/reboot label, in that Rise shares a similar theme as Conquest even if it doesn't fit the story.
    I would've just skipped ahead to a new POTA movie set after mans downfall rather than milking the unexpected hit they had with the concept of an origin movie.

Hmm... yeah, I sort of agree there. Like it or not, it's the "end game" that's probably being most anticipated.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    This looks amazing. It one of my most anticipated films this year. I love the first one.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can not wait for this. Loved the first one. Seen it quite a few times. Hopefully this will be just as good.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Greatly enjoyed Rise and this looks well up to scratch. I understand big things are expected of it too.

World War Z, Godzilla, now this. Seems gloomy, world-in-chaos fantasy blockbusters are quite the thing. But what does it say about us, etc?
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for this. The first film was my favourite film of the year (2011?) so I hope this one is right up there with my faves of the year for 2014 as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this. Thought 'Rise' was excellent and I'm anticipating that this one will surpass it.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder why no human characters from the first movie are in this one. Would have been nice to have some sort of continuity, although Franco (or the side of his head and his voice at least) make some form of cameo in the trailer on the camcorder footage Caesar is watching.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'm not really seeing much to get excited about in the latest trailer. The thing that stood out most to me was how unrealistic the apes looked. Did they get George Lucas to do it?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really seeing much to get excited about in the latest trailer.
    I thought it was just me! Sure it looks good, but thats all, it doesn't look as amazing as I was expecting. I think I've set my standards to high...
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think 90% of the population (including the original cast) have been killed by the simian flu

i quite like the fact they've done that