Options

New DTR-T1000 Youview Box - First Impressions

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found something else the DTR-T1000 doesn't do, and this time it affects catchup. My broadband is just marginally too slow and/or lumpy to stream iPlayer HD. So I'm used to starting HD programmes playing and then pausing them. The HDR Fox T2 carries on streaming the programme into the buffer while paused. After about 15 minutes (that's enough for a 2 hour programme) I press Play and can watch the show free of rebuffering.

I tried this last night on the DTR-T1000 and it doesn't work. As soon as I hit pause it stops buffering the iPlayer stream, I can see this clearly from the ethernet LEDs on the back of the box. I left it anyway and came back 15 minutes later and pressed Play, sure enough in less than a minute I was back to rebuffering.

So the DTR-T1000 has now been reduced to an SD only catchup box, with everything else being done by the HDR Fox T2.

As far as I can tell, no-one gives a damn about people like me with slow broadband. I get 3.5mbps and there are plenty of people with even slower broadband. Where are the catchup service download options? I'd be quite happy for things to trickle in onto hard disc all night and then play them tomorrow, it's no big deal. That would also allow the bit rate to be increased to match Freeview HD picture quality and support 5.1 sound. Anyone with fast enough broadband could still be given the option to stream live.
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think folks are getting far too excited about the lack of features. We know that things will improve whilst youview add functionality and content providers such as Sky, Netflix and Lovefilm arrive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    I think folks are getting far too excited about the lack of features. We know that things will improve whilst youview add functionality and content providers such as Sky, Netflix and Lovefilm arrive.

It's barely changed since the start of the field trial. I get the feeling the base feature set is considered complete and all that will come is more content providers. That doesn't address some of the fundamental concerns eg. only auto tuning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    It is interesting to see the reaction to the DTR-T1000 here. Why the bad karma?

I think it will be difficult for the DTR-T1000 to get an un-baised opinion from current owners of the HDR-Fox T2 or even a dfferent PVR, people tend to defend their previous purchases and have a loyalty to it, even when it doesn't deserve it. However, (and trying not to be biased), I think these are the main points :-

Users (Wrongly) see it as the next generation Humax, so it should have all it's features plus more

It costs more (due to development costs) so it should do more

A stripped down, non Geek, unit for the masses should cost less, may-be the Huawei one will, who knows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    It's barely changed since the start of the field trial. I get the feeling the base feature set is considered complete and all that will come is more content providers. That doesn't address some of the fundamental concerns eg. only auto tuning.

It wont change. Software releases take time. I fully expect youview to continue development of the platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    It wont change. Software releases take time. I fully expect youview to continue development of the platform.

Yes but I think it is clear what lines that development will take. It will continue to be a restrictive and dumbed down platform aimed at the masses. I don't expect any sort of manual tuning for example, so it will continue to make the wrong choices in difficult transmitter overlap areas.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ezra Pound wrote: »
    I think it will be difficult for the DTR-T1000 to get an un-baised opinion from current owners of the HDR-Fox T2 or even a dfferent PVR, people tend to defend their previous purchases and have a loyalty to it, even when it doesn't deserve it.
    I admit some people are like this (and it's painful to watch them on the internet), but we're not all like that. ;)

I don't think I'm like it - and more radically, there's a guy in the Freesat forum who claims to have put a hammer through this PVR.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but I think it is clear what lines that development will take. It will continue to be a restrictive and dumbed down platform aimed at the masses. I don't expect any sort of manual tuning for example, so it will continue to make the wrong choices in difficult transmitter overlap areas.

I see no grounds for this at all. Please provide a link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member

sounds like an amstrad srx 100 lol. hmm who had that company once :D
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ezra Pound wrote: »
    I think it will be difficult for the DTR-T1000 to get an un-baised opinion from current owners of the HDR-Fox T2 or even a dfferent PVR, people tend to defend their previous purchases and have a loyalty to it, even when it doesn't deserve it. However, (and trying not to be biased), I think these are the main points :-

Users (Wrongly) see it as the next generation Humax, so it should have all it's features plus more

It costs more (due to development costs) so it should do more

A stripped down, non Geek, unit for the masses should cost less, may-be the Huawei one will, who knows

Not true, in this day and age, omitting the convenience of folder recording from series recording and no epg search function beggars belief. These have been standard features on pvrs for years. The beta testers must have reported this from day one, ignoring this makes you wonder why they asked for beta testers :eek:.

I accept that some of the limitations might be somewhat geeky, but leaving out these basic functions hardly inspires confidence.

As for a stripped down one, the box in which it based has no problem in supporting these basic features.

Hasc anyone making comments like this actually used a pvr less than 4 yrs old ?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    My most feature rich PVR is *twelve* years old. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    My most feature rich PVR is *twelve* years old. ;)

Tivo or Topfield ? :D
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't expect any sort of manual tuning for example, so it will continue to make the wrong choices in difficult transmitter overlap areas.
    I haven't spotted reports of it making the wrong choices. Where was that reported?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    I haven't spotted reports of it making the wrong choices. Where was that reported?

I don't think anyone has reported the DTR-T1000 doing this, I think people are assuming (Possibly Wrongly) that it will perform the same as it's lookalike HDR Fox T2, See #24 link Here
  • Options
    ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    A few quick points to add:

- there appears no need to retune. I got a message briefly appearing the other night saying the channel list had been changed, but with no hint as to why or what had changed!

- I stumbled across the option to watch iPlayer (etc) content in HD rather than SD. It's certainly not highlighted as a feature!

- people have mentioned the adverts before 4OD content. That's standard, no matter how you watch 4OD. On the other hand, I watched New Girl on 4OD the other night and there were no proper adverts in the middle, just a 20 second "sponsored by" ad. You win some, you lose some!

- pressing the 'info' button doesn't give you the start and end times of the current programme. I discovered accidentally that pressing any of the arrow buttons gives you a smaller info bar with, weirdly, more information than the Info button.

- I never used 'search' on my old 9200T, so don't miss it. £10 gives you Digiguide for a year!

- setting favourites in the BBC iPlayer works well

- not being able to manually change recording times bothers me. Radio 4 in particular tends to cut programmes off around 30seconds from the end.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Also, why does it take so long to load programme info? Never seen this before on any set-top box or PVR. It's normally pretty instant but on this box it's sluggishly slow.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    I think you get the option to always watch catch up in HD the first time you try to play something where it is available. And it is on the Settings menu.

It seems that if you move play to the end of a catch up programme it will first serve up all the ads that would normally occur at intervals during the programme. So do that with mute turned on and go do something else for 10 minutes or so then move play back to the start and get uninterrupted viewing.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else had their box lock up for 45-60 seconds while changing between HD channels? Particularly when going from BBC1 HD to BBC HD or vice versa, whether typing the number directly or using the P+/P- buttons.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - people have mentioned the adverts before 4OD content. That's standard, no matter how you watch 4OD. On the other hand, I watched New Girl on 4OD the other night and there were no proper adverts in the middle, just a 20 second "sponsored by" ad. You win some, you lose some!

I have edited the hosts file on my pc which skips 4OD ads.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - I never used 'search' on my old 9200T, so don't miss it. £10 gives you Digiguide for a year!

Wow, that is a shocking response!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick one,anybody ?
    Was reading on another forum that the new Humax DTR-T1000, YouView PVR,will not display subtitles on recorded content playback,this assumes subtitles on the original transmission,of course.

This can't be right can it? will anyone who has the new Humax just try it for me.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I will get back to you on that. Given the amount of missing features though I suspect that is true.
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I will get back to you on that. Given the amount of missing features though I suspect that is true.

Sure hope not,given the state of my hearing these days:)
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an excellent thread. But has put me off buying a Youview box, at least for the time being.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an excellent thread. But has put me off buying a Youview box, at least for the time being.

Kind of the whole idea. Shows you what the so called pro-reviews are really worth. Every one so far has assumed the pvr capabilities are not worth checking just looking at the new catch up capability. I reckon until Youview let the real experts add there expertise to make the box what it should have been in the first place, it will always be a dumbed down box to the lowest common hardware capability, in this case Youviews codeing. :eek: