Finale Title Confirmed!!!!

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what difference it really makes to people? The Doctor's name would only be a shock if he turns out to be another established character such as Omega or the Rani. Otherwise, it only has whatever significance the Moff wants to attach to it for purpose of a good story.

Inspector Morse didn't unravel when we discovered he's called Endeavour.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One further is that we will see his name written in Gallifreyan. That's a very Moffat tease. It matches up with the poster design, too.

He can say "THERE! THAT'S HIS NAME! RIGHT THERE. LOOK. YOU CAN SEE IT."

It's just in another language ;)
  • VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I agree but I think actually naming the Doctor is a step too far. The whole show is called Doctor Who after all... They need to leave some mystery about the character.

I also agree with RTD's stance that you can never actually give him a name because whatever name you gave him will be disappointing.

That said I'm not one to judge an episode before I've seen it and I'm sure there will some Moffat style twist or play on words involved. (At least I hope so).

You, me and the Silence agree: 'Doctor Who?' is the question that should never be answered. I don't imagine for one moment it will be, despite the name of the episode.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Just because the title is that, doesn't mean it will be revealed to the audience. It could be a McGuffin to drive the plot along and drive the audience mad. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like we even know for sure that the Doctor's name will actually be revealed. And even if it is revealed we know very little about why and how. It's just a name of the episode. Nothing more. Nothing less. What's the point of making a judgement based simply on that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Just because the title is that, doesn't mean it will be revealed to the audience. It could be a McGuffin to drive the plot along and drive the audience mad. :)
    Absolutely....within Douglas Adams "Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy", he highlighted a society which had been obsessed with the answer "to life, the Universe and everything", and after generations had been passed, discovered that the answer was not as significant as the nature of the Question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »

This is probably about right I imagine Moff in his slippers tonight with a cigar and whisky leaning back in his armchair saying "That was a good days special filming and the publicity from my teaser poster was amazing I shall pat myself on the back..."

Disclaimer: events in this post are not based on real life and any resemblance to persons living or dead just proves you've eaten too many jelly babies.

Ooh we were merged!
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    This is probably about right I imagine Moff in his slippers tonight with a cigar and whisky leaning back in his armchair saying "That was a good days special filming and the publicity from my teaser poster was amazing I shall pat myself on the back..."

Disclaimer: events in this post are not based on real life and any resemblance to persons living or dead just proves you've eaten too many jelly babies.

Ooh we were merged!

Oh well, hopefully it will give something else for people to get their knickers in a twist about and distract them from the usual :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    The show is all about change, if people can't get behind that, they shouldnt watch.

Revealing The Doctor was a time lord and naming his planet didnt kill the show, revealing the TARDIS always took him where he needed to go rather than straight-up malfunction didnt kill the show, this won't either.

You keep saying this! Revealing him to be a timelord and naming his planet is irrelevant to the whole premise of 50 years, which is Doctor Who!

If they name him, it will pretty much pee all over my 37 years of watching the programme!

Don't do it Moff!!!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what difference it really makes to people? The Doctor's name would only be a shock if he turns out to be another established character such as Omega or the Rani. Otherwise, it only has whatever significance the Moff wants to attach to it for purpose of a good story.

But Inspector Morse was not a programme that had a huge part of its attraction or premise, based upon the mystery of the character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hm...

So how does The Great Intelligence play in to this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Could be any number of things.

Could be that an awful atrocity was committed in 'the name of the doctor'? Like he gave the order for something terrible to happen and ever since there's a cult that follows him under the impression that he's a dictator or something?

Or perhaps he inherited the title of 'the doctor' from an even more mysterious timelord, also called the doctor?

perhaps he'll say his name, but a crack of thunder goes off at the same time and he's drowned out? :)
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Hm...

So how does The Great Intelligence play in to this?

Well we still have the 'who is clara, what is she' mystery to solve....the GI might link into that and all the other anniversary stuff, name of the doctor etc, be a separate strand of story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this episode will have as much of the doctor's name as The Next Doctor had the next doctor in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Well we still have the 'who is clara, what is she' mystery to solve....the GI might link into that and all the other anniversary stuff, name of the doctor etc, be a separate strand of story.

*slaps self around the head*

That's pretty obvious, come to think of it.. :p
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I M Foreman.....there since the very beginning :D
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, that's true, but I certainly felt a little sad and there was a definite sense of anti-climax afterwards.

And Moffat is clearly making a HUGE DEAL out of the Doctor's name and I can't help thinking that IF we find out what that name is, and I still think that it's actually unlikely, it will inevitably be rather disappointing. It will always be an anti-climax and that would be a terrible shame, especially in Anniversary Year.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Decent title and nice that Alex's name is on the poster with Matt and Jenna.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What????

There is one major difference, the programme is actually called Doctor Who. If his name was revealed it would make the programme title pointless afterwards. Unless they renamed it to 'Doctor Bob' or whatever.

it won't happen.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    All looks very intriguing, but I agree there's no way that we will just be told what the Doctor's real name is.
    Ain't going to happen.
    It would destroy a fundamental part of the character's mystique, and no producer would dare to do it, at least not in that simplistic way.
    There will be more to it than meets the eye, as there always is!
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :pit hasnt happened yyet has it and knowwwing moff , it be timeey wimey , yes its not as good but i am interested in clara but can maatt stay still , he dribbles on likee a professor ax even tennant didnt drone on ax i like matt if he werent the dr hahaha
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I M Foreman.....there since the very beginning :D

meaning "I Am For Man" perhaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    What a load of old cobblers. Is Moffat so desperate that he only has to go and spoil the best secret of them all. (What gives that T**t the right?) i'm so sick of his run on Doctor Who......It's Fred by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.j. wrote: »
    What a load of old cobblers. Is Moffat so desperate that he only has to go and spoil the best secret of them all. (What gives that T**t the right?) i'm so sick of his run on Doctor Who......It's Fred by the way.

He's not going to.

*sigh*