Russ Williams to join Smooth Radio

Comments

• HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg_Scott wrote: »
    I think Nick has found his niche, as he says himself he is low maintenance, he just chats a bit and plays records. For those who don't like Evans or the traditional double header breakfast show he offers a good alternative

I actually really like his show. Since I cant bare Capital London b fast no more ive found myself listening to him sometimes. Its harmess music and chat. Non of the fake Jamie & Emma shouting down the mic crap.
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do some areas qualify for their own Breakfast and Drivetime shows on Smooth whilst others don't?

Is just at the whim of Global management, like most things radio nowadays,or is there a list of criteria?

Needless to say, here in Norfolk we only get London.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    Why do some areas qualify for their own Breakfast and Drivetime shows on Smooth whilst others don't?

Is just at the whim of Global management, like most things radio nowadays,or is there a list of criteria?

The AM stations dont need there own breakfast and drive show they take the London shows
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mall wrote: »

It depends if the licence is for FM or AM.

Smooth Norfolk is an AM licence so it doesn't need to provide any local programming.
    AM stations generally need not produce locally-made programmes nor broadcast local material. But, each AM station should produce a minimum of 10 hours of programmes during weekday daytimes from within the nation where the station is based.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/localness/localness-guidelines
  • Lost WeekendLost Weekend Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »

Smooth Norfolk is an AM licence so it doesn't need to provide any local programming.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/localness/localness-guidelines

Very similar to what the the FM requirements will become after the upcoming deregulation I should think
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to note that the wording doesn't state local programming must not be produced, merely that it doesn't have to be.

Another example of Global adhering to the minimum they can get away with.
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Radio Today Andrew Castle will still host The Great American Songbook on Smooth Radio and will have a new role within Global Radio also.

Do you think Andrew Castle is heading back to LBC or do you think he is joining Classic FM?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/03/russ-williams-takes-over-smooth-radio-breakfast/

I'm wondering whether the announcement about Andrew Castle's new role at Global is part of a bigger announcement such as schedule revamp of an existing station or he is joining a new digital station. From April 4th there is space for two new digital stations on Digital One when Absolute 80's, Planet Rock and Premier Christian Radio leave the multiplex. The two new stations would join Heart Extra on the multiplex. I wonder if Andrew Castle is joining Gold for Mid Mornings which could possibly launch on Digital One with Tony Dibbin at Breakfast and David Andrews at Drivetime.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering whether the announcement about Andrew Castle's new role at Global is part of a bigger announcement such as schedule revamp of an existing station or he is joining a new digital station. From April 4th there is space for two new digital stations on Digital One when Absolute 80's, Planet Rock and Premier Christian Radio leave the multiplex. The two new stations would join Heart Extra on the multiplex. I wonder if Andrew Castle is joining Gold for Mid Mornings which could possibly launch on Digital One with Tony Dibbin at Breakfast and David Andrews at Drivetime.

Thats not a bad shout. We will just need to wait and see
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Well I might just tune in to smooth breakfast on tuesday 29th for the first time since the clear out a while back,!! And listen to a real radio pro on smooth once again,,,

Trouble is the tunes will make you want to cry or sleep and sadly he won't be able to talk much.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold is not going to relaunch on D1.
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold is not going to relaunch on D1.

You may be right it may not launch on Digital One but Global is missing an opportunity as there is an audience for this station nationally. Gold plays music that would not fit with the Smooth Radio playlist like the Fifties, Sixties stuff and bands like The Rolling Stones and Status Quo.

It also has decade shows playing 50's, 60's and 70's as well as the Golden Hour which you cannot hear on Smooth.

It would be a nice fit having Gold on Digital One playing 50's, 60's, 70's and some 80's.

Then they would have Heart / Heart Extra which has decade shows on 80's and 90's and Club Classics.

Having Gold and Heart Extra on Digital One would cover the rock and pop decades from the 50's to the 00's.

Smooth / Smooth Extra is a station which mainly plays Easy Listening / Love Songs so listeners may want to listen something more upbeat and Gold would be an alternative to Smooth.
  • Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you think Russ performed this morning
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perfect. A true pro.
  • Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Perfect. A true pro.

I agree :)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member

Forgot to tune in, will do so tomorrow.

I want to see if Global have made him leave his personality at the door.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Forgot to tune in, will do so tomorrow.

I want to see if Global have made him leave his personality at the door.

First hour is on Aircheck Downloads.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Gary King still cover when it's holidays like he did for Andrew?
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Why do you not like Smooth as it stands?

I find the presenters more like talking robots a bit like "The Borg" all have been assimilated and Globalised. Russ I hope will be able to do some of his own thing otherwise he to will be assimilated and Globalised like the rest of them, as for the music its still bland and predictable but I will tune in and hope.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russ has got a unique voice, but don't they all on smooth?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    So is Russ staying on Absolute weekends then as he is on now?
  • MorningDJMorningDJ Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    So is Russ staying on Absolute weekends then as he is on now?

Only until the end of this football season, apparently.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member

Andrew confirmed back at LBC weekend breakfast 7am-10am
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Andrew Castle but have no objection to his replacement. I enjoyed the breakfast show this morning.

I was hoping it was Kate Garraway that was being replaced.

I am sure she is a nice person but I find her sycophantic beyond belief.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering whether the announcement about Andrew Castle's new role at Global is part of a bigger announcement such as schedule revamp of an existing station or he is joining a new digital station.

From April 4th there is space for two new digital stations on Digital One when Absolute 80's, Planet Rock and Premier Christian Radio leave the multiplex. The two new stations would join Heart Extra on the multiplex. I wonder if Andrew Castle is joining Gold for Mid Mornings which could possibly launch on Digital One with Tony Dibbin at Breakfast and David Andrews at Drivetime.

Andrew will be doing the breakfast slot on Sunday morning on LBC.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I quite like Andrew Castle but have no objection to his replacement. I enjoyed the breakfast show this morning.

I was hoping it was Kate Garraway that was being replaced.

I am sure she is a nice person but I find her sycophantic beyond belief.

In what way on Smooth does Kate come over as being sycophantic?