Options

Realisation moments in movies

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in movie but when watching Tropic Thunder and I realised at the end it was Tom Cruise I was like :o
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The scene in Alien where Harry Dean Stanton realises the little creature that burst out of John Hurt's chest is all grown up and it's behind him.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Brenda Blethyn in "Secrets and Lies" when she realises the girl she's just met is actually her daughter.

Such a beautiful performance IMO.
    BB not winning the Oscar for this film still baffles me 16 years later.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rusk in Frenzy realising where his tie-pin has gone...Christ all-bloody-mighty!!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rusk in Frenzy realising where his tie-pin has gone...Christ all-bloody-mighty!!

Lovely. Lovely.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    Glenn Close in Jagged Edge, when she find the 1920s typewriter in the linen cupboard.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cary Grant's realisation at the end of 'An Affair to Remember'.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I suppose mine is open to interpretation, but have always adored the scene in Almost Famous when Penny Lane (Kate Hudson) is on the plane and has a moment of realisation about William (Patrick Fugit), about how he's the one who truly loved her and his love for her ended up saving her life. At least, that's my own interpretation of the moment.

I know people don't rate Kate Hudson but she is brilliant in that movie, IMO.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was about half way through Drag Me to Hell when I realized that it was a comedy. Up to that point I thought it was just the worst film i'd ever seen - after it I actually found it funny.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The bit in the Truman Show where he realises he's stuck in a dome and can't get past the walls. Quite sad really.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull.
    Where you realise Indi is actually in one of those Nuclear Test towns in the desert.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Where Roy (Richard Dreyfuss) is tugging at the mud mountain on the table and the top comes off. Then he looks at the news broadcast on his tv !
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wondered if you meant that camera effect where the foreground goes forward and the background goes backwards, I always take that to mean moment of sudden realisation
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The scene in Thief were the genial, grandfatherly mob boss played by Robert Prosky reveals his true nature to James Caan. A very chilling scene.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wondered if you meant that camera effect where the foreground goes forward and the background goes backwards, I always take that to mean moment of sudden realisation

Yes, it does. That effect is a dolly zoom. Not much in use these days, though, because it's generally seen as a cliché since the early 1980s.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The end of The Prestige when ...
    ...Borden realises just before he is to be executed that his rival Angier is Lord Caldlow, then the twist does an about turn as Angier is later shot by Borden, who is supposed to have been hanged, and he then realises how Borden did his "Transported Man" trick, he had a twin brother who lived his life as Fallon, Borden's ingenieur
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched The Descendants with George Clooney in it, for the first time and there are quite a lot of realisation moments in that film.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Yes, it does. That effect is a dolly zoom. Not much in use these days, though, because it's generally seen as a cliché since the early 1980s.

Apart from 'Vertigo' and 'Jaws', I couldn't think of a single other example of its use. There's a list on TV Tropes, but even that only runs to a couple of dozen examples.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from 'Vertigo' and 'Jaws', I couldn't think of a single other example of its use. There's a list on TV Tropes, but even that only runs to a couple of dozen examples.

That list is missing quite a few films.

Raging Bull - Edited: between 1:10-1:25 and reverse at around 1:39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwItkoapuA
    Shock Corridor
    The Lodger (Alfred Molina)
    Three O'Clock High
    The Incredible Hulk Edited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHc4lUaCp4 - the kick, between 0:20-0:23
    Sex, Lies & Video Tape
    Scarface
    Anaconda
    Spy Games
    The Lonely Heart is the Hunter
    The Villain (French bank heist film)
    too many horror films
    Quite a few East Asian films as well. Such as Peppermint Candy, Memories of Matsuko, My Sassy Girl.
    I know I'm missing more, but those are what I could recall.

I can't decide whether to include Dead Poets Society. I haven't seen this since its cinema release so perhaps it's time to watch it again.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack - after Jack collapses, and he's in his bedroom and the butterfly reappears, and it dies in his hands. He realises that he isn't going to live for very long, just like the butterfly.

Inception - right at the end when we realise Cobb is dreaming...or is he?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I have just watched The Descendants with George Clooney in it, for the first time and there are quite a lot of realisation moments in that film.
    Most, if not all, involve Clooney looking startled in that slightly mugging way of his.

He's still the best thing in it mind.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Field of Dreams - 'Oh my god. It's my father'
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    August Osage County had some good realisation moments, where a situation becomes a lot worse. The audience audibly gasped!

Brief Encounter. So many little moments but Laura and Alec's declaration of love for each other is a great one. They realise simultaneously that this wonderful feeling will lead them down a path of guilt and betrayal.

The most horrific one for me was actually in a soap, Night and Day. A man who has been having an affair with his daughter's underage best friend is informed that his daughter was swapped at birth, with the best friend. His realisation that he'd been sleeping with his own daughter (and got her pregnant leading to her having an abortion) and the daughter's realisation that she can never get to know her real family is heartbreaking.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    the first scene in Dumb and dumber to when you realise you just wasted £10:D

"The Weekend At Bernie's" when you realize Bernie was dead all along.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There are a few in Sphere.

When they realise the dreams are coming alive
    When Hoffman realises he entered the Sphere
    When they realise at the end that they're still under the influence of the Sphere
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on Film4 right now: The moment Jimmy Stewart and Richard Attenborough realise Hardy Kruger is a model aeroplane designer in Flight of the Phoenix.