Bye bye BBC ...

Comments

• mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hunt said: "I think if you were to discover how people vote at the BBC there are probably more who vote Labour or for the Liberal Democrats than the Conservatives." He also made clear his frustrations with the BBC's decision to broadcast a Panorama programme about corruption at Fifa days before the decision on the 2018 World Cup, saying it had damaged England's bid. "It was a nightmare," he said.

Wait a minute raising a serious and important issue. Is a nightmare. Highlighting stuff like corruption is the model of an excellent psb. The BBC shouldnt be forced to drop potentially embarassing documentaries because they may effect the issue related to what they are investigating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the leftwing bias is justified when you consider the right wing bias of Murdoch's huge media empire!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The government simply won't be happy till it's the Conservative Broadcasting Company.
  • makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    I think the leftwing bias is justified when you consider the right wing bias of Murdoch's huge media empire!

Ssssssshhhhhhh! You're not meant to say that, old chap! The 'official' line on here is that the Beeb is a model of neutrality!

On a more serious and obvious note: we don't have to pay for Murdoch's media...we do have to pay for the BBC. If I had to pay for the likes of Sky, then I'd want them to be impartial as well.

So I don't have to pay for right wing bias, but I do have to pay for left wing bias. Is that fair?
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makara80 wrote: »
    Ssssssshhhhhhh! You're not meant to say that, old chap! The 'official' line on here is that the Beeb is a model of neutrality!

On a more serious and obvious note: we don't have to pay for Murdoch's media...we do have to pay for the BBC. If I had to pay for the likes of Sky, then I'd want them to be impartial as well.

So I don't have to pay for right wing bias, but I do have to pay for left wing bias. Is that fair?

To prove your point, could you give me an example of left-wing bias from today's broadcasting on the BBC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    To prove your point, could you give me an example of left-wing bias from today's broadcasting on the BBC?

Afraid not as I've been on teh internet all day and so the telly (and radio) are switched off.

Nice try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afraid not as I've been on teh internet all day and so the telly (and radio) are switched off.

Nice try.

In the last week then.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What left wing bias would that be?
  • Monkey_NewsMonkey_News Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    What is there to disagree about?

The BBC are quite clearly very left wing and PC, and definetly are not inpartial like they are meant to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is there to disagree about?

The BBC are quite clearly very left wing and PC, and definetly are not inpartial like they are meant to be.

Examples please from recent weeks.

By the way, it is IMPARTIAL and DEFINITELY.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter if they are left wing? The sort of people who out themselves as right-wing on TV, especially in American, seem to be pretty angry and old fashioned. It just seems like that would be a step backwards for the media. Imagine a TV station powered by the Daily Mail, it would be full of fear.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »

"I do remember... the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. I'll always remember that"

Jane Garvey

BBC Five Live, May 10th, 2007, recalling May 2nd, 1997.

"We need to foster peculiarity, idiosyncrasy, stubborn-mindedness, left-of-centre thinking."

Ben Stephenson

BBC Drama Commissioning Controller

"The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It's a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities and gay people. It has a liberal bias not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias"

Andrew Marr
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's unhappy because the BBC isn't towing the line like the commercial sector and showing a right wing bias towards the Tories

Yes that Jon Snow (Channel 4), George Galloway (Talk Sport) and Ken Livingstone (LBC). Outrageous right-wing bias from the lot of them. :D

All media organisations will be made up of people with a broad range of political views and backgrounds, and the BBC is no exception. Their political editor used to be president of the Oxford University Conservative Association.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    "I do remember... the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. I'll always remember that"

Jane Garvey

BBC Five Live, May 10th, 2007, recalling May 2nd, 1997.

I suppose you could say that about the BBC's luvvie boat on the Thames during this year's general election.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tories have known for years aboout the BBC bias - this isn't news to them or anyone.

"The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It's a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities and gay people. It has a liberal bias not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias",

Andrew Marr

the Daily Mail, Oct 21st, 2006.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    In the last week then.

Ironically, (and geuinely true) I've worked some long hours last week and didn't really watch/listen to much telly/radio at all.

In the last month however, I did catch a bit of Andrew Marr's programme a couple of times where he was particularly chummy with Eddie Balls. The other time I saw him he was interviewing Michael Gove. He, obviously, was meant to be challenging both on their respective parties policies, he only managed to really challenge one of those MP's

Can you guess which one?

Marr, of course is a well know labour Luvvy which is fair enough, but perhaps he shouldn't apply his personal bias when conducting interviews. It's unprofessional if anything.

Another prime example would be Nicky Campbell's sunday morning religious show. To be fair this hasn't been on for a while but when it was, the questions posed were deliberately provocative ... and most importantly, one sided. "When did you stop beating your wife" type of questions. Interestingly, whenever a question was posed, that could be considered 'negative' or 'provocative', Nicky seemed to square on his Christian and Jewish guests far more eagerly than his Muslim ones. You often get the impression that that show is almost placing some religions on trial ... not all religions though. Again, can you guess which one didn't get criticised to the same degree as the others?

I tend to watch this show even though I'm an atheist, so I honestly have no vested interest in Christians, or whoever, getting the upper hand over the rest. I only ask for balance. It isn't too much to ask for.

Oh, and finally when one of Call me Dave's aides said something akin to "people are better off than they think", BBC News website had something like the following plastered across its front page: "TORY - YOU'VE NEVER HAD SO GOOD". This, rather provocative and Tabloid-ish headline was soon mysteriously changed to something more subtle however. Can't think why... Now if labour were still in government and making cuts, can you imagine the headline: "LABOUR - YOU'VE NEVER HAD SO GOOD" ... if the words had come from a minor Labour aide (not even an MP)?Nah!

If you're going to ask for specific dates and times then alas (and rather surprisingly) I haven't maintained a list or designed a detailed Powerpoint presentation built around what I've seen...
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffa, the fact that a highly biased chap like you considers the Beeb to be neutral, proves that it isn't!

With your terminal case of the 'trots', I seriously doubt that you could tolerate an organisation that was truly neutral, do you?

Again, where our resident right-wingers can't back up the case, it comes down to personal insults. You'll have to try harder than that if you want to engage in adult debate with me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »

Perhaps the lefties on here could get together and state what the 'official' status of the BBC actually is?

Some seem convinced that there's no bias whilst others appear to say that the Beeb is indeed left wing...but apparantly that's a good thing because Murdoch and the Daily Mail/Fail/Heil/Scale/Tale/Tail/John Cale etc, is all right wing and stuff so the Beebs bias 'balances' things up. Pure 'logic'!

I know diversity in opinion is a good thing (ironically I doubt the Beeb would agree) but the Left on this thread are contradicting each other... it's all so confusing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, (and geuinely true) I've worked some long hours last week and didn't really watch/listen to much telly/radio at all.

In the last month however, I did catch a bit of Andrew Marr's programme a couple of times where he was particularly chummy with Eddie Balls. The other time I saw him he was interviewing Michael Gove. He, obviously, was meant to be challenging both on their respective parties policies, he only managed to really challenge one of those MP's

Can you guess which one?

Marr, of course is a well know labour Luvvy which is fair enough, but perhaps he shouldn't apply his personal bias when conducting interviews. It's unprofessional if anything.

Another prime example would be Nicky Campbell's sunday morning religious show. To be fair this hasn't been on for a while but when it was, the questions posed were deliberately provocative ... and most importantly, one sided. "When did you stop beating your wife" type of questions. Interestingly, whenever a question was posed, that could be considered 'negative' or 'provocative', Nicky seemed to square on his Christian and Jewish guests far more eagerly than his Muslim ones. You often get the impression that that show is almost placing some religions on trial ... not all religions though. Again, can you guess which one didn't get criticised to the same degree as the others?

I tend to watch this show even though I'm an atheist, so I honestly have no vested interest in Christians, or whoever, getting the upper hand over the rest. I only ask for balance. It isn't too much to ask for.

Oh, and finally when one of Call me Dave's aides said something akin to "people are better off than they think", BBC News website had something like the following plastered across its front page: "TORY - YOU'VE NEVER HAD SO GOOD". This, rather provocative and Tabloid-ish headline was soon mysteriously changed to something more subtle however. Can't think why... Now if labour were still in government and making cuts, can you imagine the headline: "LABOUR - YOU'VE NEVER HAD SO GOOD" ... if the words had come from a minor Labour aide (not even an MP)?Nah!

If you're going to ask for specific dates and times then alas (and rather surprisingly) I haven't maintained a list or designed a detailed Powerpoint presentation built around what I've seen...

It is very easy to highlight isolated examples of perceived left-wing bias. No doubt the left could show some 'right-wing BBC bias'. Truth is there is probably some of both. Programmes are made by people and they have political views - left, right or centre.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC is as you say, then why do they advertise most of their jobs in the Guardian? You'd have thought that a "slightly right wing" organisation would use the likes of the Telegraph instead, no?

No.

Media jobs have always been advertised in the Guardian because they have a media section. Same way as Education jobs get advertised in the Times.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    No.

Media jobs have always been advertised in the Guardian because they have a media section. Same way as Education jobs get advertised in the Times.

Hush.. don't point things like that out. Otherwise they'll have nothing to criticise 'lefties' and 'leftists' about!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC seems far less biased then the other channels IMHO. To think all this because Jeremy Hunt doesn't like being called a 'Hunt'....
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not aware of any particular bias on the BBC.

And unless someone can actually produce any evidence (as opposed to just quoting other people claiming it is biased) then I don't think we can take this seriously at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    No.

Then perhaps the likes of the Telegraph et al could be missing out on some prime business from the Beeb by not having a media job section.

If they started one, offering competitive rates for advertising BBC jobs, do you think the corporation would switch over to them? Mind you if they did they might get candidates that vote tory (horror of horror's)...this is the 'Torygraph' we're talking about after all.

No, keep with the left wing Guardian, then at least all prospective job candidates will be guaranteed 'politically neutral' ;).
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the coalition government has not done anything labour would not have done if it had won the election.. the left wing bias versus right wing bias argument is as old as the hills.. the bbc is pro-establishment and always will be..