iPad Daily is out now!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
Forum Member
✭✭
iPad Daily newspaper has launched in US. I think they have missed a trick if the US version is not immediately available worldwide.

What I'm interested in is that this is a major, major launch - not even sure which forum this should be in! It's certainly not printed media as we know it.

Reviews here. Don't miss the rather amusing (but predictable) comments on the page, which seem to have been cut rather short by the BBC.

Most reviews are basically saying that it's incredible and super-snazzy , but it's a magazine, not a newspaper

Well cheap at 99c per week though. I'd pay that if it wasn't a News International.product.

There is already on-the-fly re-editing of features, as well as the facilities for live updates and TWitter feeds.

This also means that Apple's new subscription model is launched - with 30% bite!

Does anyone know how well Flipboard and Project are doing for subs?

Comments

• EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    99p a week is a reasonable price, it has to be said.

I have no particular problem with it being an NI product. They might make Fox News, but they also make the Times and the Simpsons.

Having said that, I think i'll wait until they launch something for the UK. It's a decent idea though, and at that price I can see it being pretty popular if it's any good.

For me The Economist app is still the definitive news app for now (albeit it is a weekly). It's simply superb (on both iPad and iPhone). :)

(I don't think we know the details of the subscription model yet (or NI's deal with Apple). I wouldn't be surprised if the cut was a little lower than 30% in the this case.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eejit wrote: »
    99p a week is a reasonable price, it has to be said.

99c a week! We can reasonably expect c.79p in UK.
    I have no particular problem with it being an NI product. They might make Fox News, but they also make the Times and the Simpsons.
    Fox News has definitely damaged NI's reputation amongst literate consumers of news.

The Times has dropped well down in status under NI, and The Simpsons is hardly a news product. All the reviews mention that the NI brand is likely to be a factor - the questions is, how much of one?
    (I don't think we know the details of the subscription model yet (or NI's deal with Apple). I wouldn't be surprised if the cut was a little lower than 30% in the this case.)

I would be surprised. Apple are always greedy, and never see the value of reducing the incentive for rivals by offering a good deal. I bet you they hold on to the 30% that they have in fact announced.

Before the iPod saved Apple's bacon, it was by exactly the same short-sightedness that Apple lost the independent Mac-alike manufacturers - Apple screwed them to the floor. I also think that if they hadn't profiteered quite so much on iPods, they could have easily been in an unbelievable position right now - with far fewer media player rivals, and able to enforce a proprietary Apple encoding with built-in DRM that all the record companies and content providers would have lined up to use.

Android, Meego and other OSes that will be content to settle for a reasonable cut will have a lot of leeway here.

I haven't seen any comments so far on the size of 'The Daily' download. If, as I suspect, it is 400Mb+ per issue, that is likely to be a problem for some readers, due to download caps. BT's basic BB deal has a 10Gb cap, for example.
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumble wrote: »
    99c a week! We can reasonably expect c.79p in UK.
    Ooops. Yes. :) Though there's no guarantee they'll launch a UK version, given the news market is quite different over here.
    The Times has dropped well down in status under NI, and The Simpsons is hardly a news product. All the reviews mention that the NI brand is likely to be a factor - the questions is, how much of one?
    In America, maybe not here. Truth is, Murdoch cares more what sells than for any particular ideology. Let's not forget he was a big supporter of Labour here for a number of years. The Times is still a great paper, incidentally.
    I bet you they hold on to the 30% that they have in fact announced.[/URL]
    They haven't announced 30%. Presumably Murdoch thinks its a good deal, otherwise he wouldn't have done it.
    Before the iPod saved Apple's bacon, it was by exactly the same short-sightedness that Apple lost the independent Mac-alike manufacturers - Apple screwed them to the floor. I also think that if they hadn't profiteered quite so much on iPods, they could have easily been in an unbelievable position right now - with far fewer media player rivals, and able to enforce a proprietary Apple encoding with built-in DRM that all the record companies and content providers would have lined up to use.
    They have no serious media player rivals. The iPod utterly dominates the market, as it has done for almost all the time it has existed. The Mac Clones were a disaster for Apple. They are primarily a hardware company - and a hugely successful one at that.
    Android, Meego and other OSes that will be content to settle for a reasonable cut will have a lot of leeway here.
    Android takes exactly the same cut as Apple (only difference is, on iOS, people actually buy apps and content, unlike on Android). All other mobile OSes are dead or dying. (Well, possibly apart from WM7, which just appears to be stillborn)
    I haven't seen any comments so far on the size of 'The Daily' download. If, as I suspect, it is 400Mb+ per issue, that is likely to be a problem for some readers, due to download caps. BT's basic BB deal has a 10Gb cap, for example.
    Highly doubt it. The only thing that's going to take up a lot of space is video, which I imagine is streaming content anyway.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict an initial positive spin on this from NI, but no details on subscription figures, followed by silence, a price increase and finally folding within 12-18 months. Or they might ditch the App ecosystem and move onto the web as well. Either way, provided the BBC website is still half as good as it is now, it's enough for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    day two and already problems with The Daily App

the app crashes constantly the download freezes it stops downloading with only 25% of the content available. missing blank pages with no way of downloading the missing bits.

Not a good start

yesterdays issue was fine and downloaded quickly

today its not a good experience. 99c is very cheap but even at 99c people will expect to get the content they pay for

Lots of comments with similar issues on the app store lets hope it improves once the two week free trial is over. If you have a bad experience with an app theres so much other content available that you don't give it a second chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    day two and already problems with The Daily App

the app crashes constantly the download freezes it stops downloading with only 25% of the content available. missing blank pages with no way of downloading the missing bits.

Not a good start

Just teething. Give 'em a chance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that Murdoch would try to launch in the UK if the US launch turns a profit. They would reuse a considerable amount of the content.

I stick by my assertion that Murdoch has devalued The Times brand in the UK. I'd say he is more reviled in the UK, and (more importantly), it is here that he made his clear attempts to realign The Times, and here that he has lost 87% of The Times online readership at a time that online readership is of growing importance. The Sunday/Times is by no means as great as it once was. I can tell that as much by looking at the reading material of commuters into the Square Mile as much as by ABC figures. I think the Telegraph has more influence than the Times now.
    Truth is, Murdoch cares more what sells than for any particular ideology.
    Errr... where are his centrist and left-wing papers then, if he has little ideological stance?
    Let's not forget he was a big supporter of Labour here for a number of years.
    Disagree strongly. That was a painful marriage of convenience for both sides - and he wasn't convincing even then.

You discount the Macworld link (confirming wide rumour)? According to Macworld (among others), Apple 'have' announced a 30/70 deal for all apps, and banned content providers from selling their content outside the iTunes platform.

Murdoch didn't agree because he felt it was a good deal, but because he had no choice! Apple own both the platform and the distribution system.
    This is the same bite they take of iPhone apps - most of which also run on the iPad too.

I was not claiming that the iPod has any serious rivals. I was describing where they could have been in terms of copy-protected content if they had done things differently. They could have imposed a default mp5 digital algorithm with all the security features that they wished. They could probably have been the biggest music and book publishers in the world. Apple and the record companies probably lose as much money from illegal downloading as they make.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To encourage big fish Murdoch, Apple did much of the work on the Daily App. No doubt it will be part of others offerings.

Apple would lose their 30% gadget tax if these subscriptions could be delivered securely via a web browser like every other platform.
    The Kindle App no doubt could have been Flash based if Flash existed and thus Apple tax free.
    Forum Member
    Just teething. Give 'em a chance!

well todays edition did download without any problems so hopefully your correct.

99c or 70p here is excellent value for what you get but they have to make sure it works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the size of the download?
    Forum Member
    What is the size of the download?

theres no download size given its just downloaded but looking at the before and after memory available i'd say between 100-200 MB. It takes forever to download and i get speeds of 13mb. Once the free trial ends i'd hope this would improve.

One other thing i noticed the Daily is now available in canada and australian app stores but not yet in the UK. This could be because the differing time zones. The new issue isn't available until 4am-6am EST-PST which is about 12pm or later here.