Needing urgent help regarding electricity!!!

bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
Forum Member
Please, anyone that can offer any advice it will be so greatly appreciated!!

In September, a man knocked our door advising he was from the government. He has advised us that our company Southern Electric had ceased it's supply with British Gas and told us that they had signed a deal with Germany, he advised if we signed a form we join a scheme and that we would get a tax rebate and we could keep our electricity exactly as it is.

I asked him at the time if this was a switch over to another company and he advised us it wasn't. He advised we were just joining a scheme and no changeover would be done.

Some weeks later we got an electricity key through the door (we're pre-payment) noticing it was from a company called Economy energy. We then realised we'd been had over.
We rang Southern Electric who advised us we were no longer with them and that we could join back with them as long as we sent the key back to Economy Energy and informed them that we had been mis-sold. We did exactly this.
A few weeks later we received a final bill from SE (strange seeing as we are pay you go?!)

We contacted them and they said we weren't with them still and that we were with EE. Rang EE and they said we were with SE.
So we rang national grid who said we were with SE.

Our SE key has continued to work for all this time until today where no machine will read it.
We have £2 Electricity left on the metre and obviously will have emergency as well. SE are saying we are with EE and EE are saying we are now with them and have been since September.

EE are refusing to give us an emergency code to supply us with electric and have told us we won't get a key till after Christmas. Which means we won't have any electric over xmas.
I have 3 boy's under 5 and our whole house is electric, meaning we can't wash, we can't cook, nothing!! We basically can't live in this house for a month until someone else takes us over.

It turns out EE has scammed around 30% of my street and it's a street with over 200 houses on it.

Ofgem don't have a direct contact number only a citizen's advice number. We are totally stuck.

Does anyone know what I can do next?

Please, your advice would really help me out.

Comments

• Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The fact that so many people have apparently been deliberately mislead I would contact your local councillor and/or MP and seek their assistance. There must be many others who are in the same position as yourself.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    The fact that so many people have apparently been deliberately mislead I would contact your local councillor and/or MP and seek their assistance. There must be many others who are in the same position as yourself.

Thanks Galaxy I will be doing that first thing.
    I think maybe I should contact the police and report a fraud, but would they take this sort of thing on is what I'm worried about.
    Forum Member
    You could try speaking to the police but I think it's likely they will say it's a commercial/civil matter and won't get involved.

Local paper might be worth a try as well.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Trading Standards are the body you could contact. They might be able to help. As for sorting your electricity out, have you told SE what NatGrid said? Have you asked to speak to a manager as a matter of urgency? Make sure you get a name and a direct line number too. If no joy (or you've done all this already) then yes your local councillor could kick some butt for you. Hope it gets sorted. x
    Forum Member
    Hi guy's,

Just to give you an update. We rang both parties again this morning and again got no where, so we left a message for the MP and rang CAB when they opened.
    CAB put us through to an emergency department and a lovely lady called Jade rang Economy energy on our behalf and got an emergency code within 10 minutes. W
    After an hour, my wife was able to go to the local paypoint, quote the number and they gave us a key and we were able to top up!
    We now have electric!

CAB advised that Economy Energy are well known to them and this seems to be quite a common occurrence with them. I am writing a complaint to ofgem and the ombudsman and will also been contacting the press regarding the issues we have had to protect other families from facing the same thing we and others have gone through.

Thanks for the help and support. It means the world that you could lend me your eyes and be bothered to respond.
    Merry Christmas and god bless you all.

Guy and family xxx
    Forum Member
    I'm ever so pleased you managed to get this sorted out. You can't be in a house with three small children over Christmas with no electricity, it's ridiculous!

Only too happy to help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    They sound like a horrendous company who deliberately doorstop people in low-income areas who do not appreciate what they are signing. Here's a good thread on MSE in which other people have had similar troubles

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4399311
  • deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's great news Guy. Happy Christmas!
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read this, and the outcome has really cheered me up, although of course you should never have been put in that position in the first place.

Happy Christmas :) xx
    Forum Member
    Thank you all :)
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for updating us. I had been concerned.

Glad to hear that things have been sorted - have a good Christmas.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep up the pressure. You'll get compo for this somewhere along the line
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh phew, that really is good news. I didn't have any advice so didn't post but, did keep an eye on the thread to see how you got on. I'm glad you and your family have electricity over Christmas, things could have turned out very differently otherwise, really horribly. What an awful company, I hope something can be done about them.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the nice words and kind thoughts all, thank you for the support.

I'm going back to CAB on Monday and speaking to Jade as Economy Energy apparently have us in a 12 month contract. They can go swivel, there's no way I am allowing them to hold me to a contract I never even knew I was signing. I have never received a copy of the supposed contract explaining a 12 month term.

If anyone knocks your door, please don't be as stupid as me. I thought I was quite savy before all this.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Hi guy's,

Just to give you an update. We rang both parties again this morning and again got no where, so we left a message for the MP and rang CAB when they opened.
    CAB put us through to an emergency department and a lovely lady called Jade rang Economy energy on our behalf and got an emergency code within 10 minutes. W
    After an hour, my wife was able to go to the local paypoint, quote the number and they gave us a key and we were able to top up!
    We now have electric!

CAB advised that Economy Energy are well known to them and this seems to be quite a common occurrence with them. I am writing a complaint to ofgem and the ombudsman and will also been contacting the press regarding the issues we have had to protect other families from facing the same thing we and others have gone through.

Thanks for the help and support. It means the world that you could lend me your eyes and be bothered to respond.
    Merry Christmas and god bless you all.

Guy and family xxx

Good to hear that this has been resolved :). It might also be an option to report these rogue sellers to this consumer programme here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9 (and others in your street can do likewise if they so wish) because a good dose of negative publicity tends to make companies get their acts together and stop any malpractices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear that this has been resolved :). It might also be an option to report these rogue sellers to this consumer programme here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9 (and others in your street can do likewise if they so wish) because a good dose of negative publicity tends to make companies get their acts together and stop any malpractices.

And BBC Watchdog and any other such programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    In September, a man knocked our door advising he was from the government.

Alarm bells would have been ringing for me at this point and I would have told him where to go.