Help! Does a CC'd person in an email receive my reply?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure "CC'd person" is not an actual term but you know what I mean!

My bf emailed me from work asking if I could check on our neighbours dog. Said neighbour works in the same company and so bf CC'd them on the email. I did not realise this and let's just say I'm not a fan of the dog :
He growls at me and I'm pretty scared of it. I only check because the neighbour really worries about the dog and I know it gives them peace of mind. They are sensitive.

I just hit 'reply', will the neighbour have got it or just my bf?

Thank you.

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you hit 'Reply' then no. If you hit 'Reply to All' then Yes.

If you open up the item in your sent items folder, you'll see if they were CC'ed on your reply or not.

If it makes you feel better, last night I had an e-mail from work, that had someone cc'ed on it that I really didn't want cc'ed on it. I then 'replied' to say that that person shouldn't be cc'ed on future correspondence on the subject. Guess which button I hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no! That doesn't make me feel better, just bad for you.

Is it someone you will bump into in future?

I took your advice and it looks like I hit reply rather than reply all. I'm using a tablet so must have just hit the top option and not noticed the reply all underneath.
    Fingers crossed neighbour is still non the wiser of my nickname for the dog lol. And also that she isn't a DS forum member!

Thank you for your help.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it the neighbour is away, and that's why you're checking on the dog? If so, I wouldn't normally advise it, but if you have an opportunity to delete the email, then you could do it before they would see it? If of course you did hit reply all!

The other day, I was using my work internal messaging system with another girl who was having an argument with a very rude and obstinate colleague. She copied what he'd written to me, but pasted it and resent it to him instead, showing that she was obviously passing it on to someone else. After five minutes of panic another colleague deleted it from his computer for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it the neighbour is away, and that's why you're checking on the dog? If so, I wouldn't normally advise it, but if you have an opportunity to delete the email, then you could do it before they would see it? If of course you did hit reply all!

The other day, I was using my work internal messaging system with another girl who was having an argument with a very rude and obstinate colleague. She copied what he'd written to me, but pasted it and resent it to him instead, showing that she was obviously passing it on to someone else. After five minutes of panic another colleague deleted it from his computer for her.

No she's not away, she's just gets very worried about her dog. My bf said she decided to come home to check on him herself. I didn't see her car but she sent me a message saying could I check on him in a couple hours and she's heading back to work.

The perils of technology lol x
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it the neighbour is away, and that's why you're checking on the dog? If so, I wouldn't normally advise it, but if you have an opportunity to delete the email, then you could do it before they would see it?
    Where is she going to get the neighbour's computer and email paswords from? It also assumes the neighbour hasn't got a means of accessing email whilst not at home. It would also be easily discovered if all new emails had been downloaded form the server.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Where is she going to get the neighbour's computer and email paswords from? It also assumes the neighbour hasn't got a means of accessing email whilst not at home. It would also be easily discovered if all new emails had been downloaded form the server.

If an email hasn't been read by the recipient yet then the sender can "recall and delete" an email they sent, its a function within outlook.
  • moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    just check your sent box and look if it went to more than 1 email adress
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    If an email hasn't been read by the recipient yet then the sender can "recall and delete" an email they sent, its a function within outlook.

Other half tried that but she had already read the original message.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moanzalot wrote: »
    just check your sent box and look if it went to more than 1 email adress

I diddo that but because I'm on a tablet and everything simplified, I did t trust that she still wouldn't have received a carbon copy.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because Outlook has such a function does not mean it is available on all mail systems.

http://www.howtogeek.com/161762/why-you-cant-undo-sending-an-email-and-when-you-can/
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I diddo that but because I'm on a tablet and everything simplified, I did t trust that she still wouldn't have received a carbon copy.
    I have yet to find a mail client that cannot show all the recipients of an e-mail. They may default to showing just the main recipient(s) and hide the CC field. But most of the one's I've used can show the CC field on demand.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they happen to on the same exchange server as you then it may else it won't. We have multiple exchange servers at work and most of the time I can't recall e-mails sent to other colleagues even though we are in the same company. As for recalling an e-mail to somebody outside the organisation, forget it.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no! That doesn't make me feel better, just bad for you.

Is it someone you will bump into in future?

I took your advice and it looks like I hit reply rather than reply all. I'm using a tablet so must have just hit the top option and not noticed the reply all underneath.
    Fingers crossed neighbour is still non the wiser of my nickname for the dog lol. And also that she isn't a DS forum member!

Thank you for your help.
    Probably moot now, but you've just got to hope that your b/f doesn't reply back to you and cc in your neighbour again, as if he does, your neighbour will still see the mail you sent. ;-)
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Probably moot now, but you've just got to hope that your b/f doesn't reply back to you and cc in your neighbour again, as if he does, your neighbour will still see the mail you sent. ;-)
    :D:D:D That has happened to me before. Lesson well and truly learnt:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

:o I thought I was out of the woods...
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you say about the dog? Also, if the neighbour is so neurotic about the dog, why doesn't she just stay at home with it?

You can cc that to her if you like