Loose Women facing a panel shake-up or getting a new format?

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True about Jane McDonald. Anything political and she was practically reading everything from her notes. Completely out of her depth.

McGiffin was always well briefed when anything political came up.
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon Osborne is joining the panel ! is this just a guest slot? If not I will not be tuning in until she is gone.

What is the producer doing with this show? They wanted meatier, more intelligent debate or they want gutter swipe, fish wife, cheap laughs, superficial drivel from the likes of Sharon Osborne.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    Sharon Osborne is joining the panel ! is this just a guest slot? If not I will not be tuning in until she is gone.

What is the producer doing with this show? They wanted meatier, more intelligent debate or they want gutter swipe, fish wife, cheap laughs, superficial drivel from the likes of Sharon Osborne.

I would imagine it has to be a guest stint due to her living in america..Plus I am sure the series ends this month.
    All these "changes" and the show is still the same as far as I am concerned just with more panelists than ever before. Soon they will have Su from the Sooty Show as a panelist as they have been through every female celebrity going.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine it has to be a guest stint due to her living in america..Plus I am sure the series ends this month.
    All these "changes" and the show is still the same as far as I am concerned just with more panelists than ever before. Soon they will have Su from the Sooty Show as a panelist as they have been through every female celebrity going.

:D

Not a bad idea actually, she is infinitely more erudite than Ms Personally Me.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that anyone who disagrees with the vile Sharon Osborne will be presented with a box containing some of her poo!
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone reckon that this is all a phase with Loose Women trying out loads of females and then in September a new rota will be announced along the lines of:

Monday/Tuesday- Kaye, Nadia, Jane Moore, Myleene Klass
    Wednesday-Ruth, Colleen, Jamelia, Sherrie Hewson
    Thursday/Friday-Andrea, Claire Richards, Patsy Kensit, Jo Joyner

---

Secondly, will the camera angles and shots stop?
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Does anyone reckon that this is all a phase with Loose Women trying out loads of females and then in September a new rota will be announced along the lines of:

Monday/Tuesday- Kaye, Nadia, Jane Moore, Myleene Klass
    Wednesday-Ruth, Colleen, Jamelia, Sherrie Hewson
    Thursday/Friday-Andrea, Claire Richards, Patsy Kensit, Jo Joyner

---

Secondly, will the camera angles and shots stop?

I hope that bit is correct.
    I hope the inclusion of Jamelia and Myleene Klass isn't.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's line up was rubbish. Coleen and Nadia were the only decent ones. Ruths okay but not nearly as good as Kaye.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    danyell wrote: »
    Today's line up was rubbish. Coleen and Nadia were the only decent ones. Ruths okay but not nearly as good as Kaye.

Kaye's back tomorrow with Nadia. Give me Ruth over Andrea any day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Kaye's back tomorrow with Nadia. Give me Ruth over Andrea any day.

Yes Ruth's a lot better than Andrea. I think Andrea thinks she's better and funnier than she actually is! Lol
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do hope this is a phase of testing out which panellists work well together, trying new ones and dispensing with the more unpopular ones. The problem with some of the panel who become long-timers is that they can get a bit stale. For example, Carol Mc Giffin was great until it started becoming all about her personal life and she allowed other panellists to take her down this route. Carol needed sharper women to spark off against and keep her on the top of her game but I think the combination of her, Denise Welch and Sherrie Hewson (much as I can't help liking the latter) was disastrous. The anchors at the time didn't seem capable of reining it in and, whatever the general brief was, it just wasn't working. It became silly and banal, with way too much focus on their drunken antics and bad relationships.

Since Kaye, Ruth, Nadia, Jane Moore and Janet Street-Porter came on board, LW has improved. Coleen's return, IMO, has also been a good thing as she seemed jaded and fed up with the status quo during her previous stint. I don't always agree with her but she seems to balance the humour and serious material quite well. I'd like to see Carol Mc Giffin back because she was smart and knew her onions. I think she'd just lost sight of what she was good at and became sloppy. With a tougher panel who might stretch her a bit more, she could come back refreshed and on her original form. Lisa Maxwell started off ok but also became stale and was trotting out the same old anecdotes, perhaps because she didn't feel able to go outside of her comfort zone.

Definitely won't be watching when the Osbourne woman's on. Feel pretty ambivalent about Myleene and Jamelia. Myleene is a very smart woman with good looks to boot but crikey does she know it and I can't help feeling that because of her intelligence she seems to think it qualifies her as an authority on everything. Which she isn't, by a long chalk.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to see Sharon on Wednesday. She is perfect to liven it up, even if it's only for one episode as a guest. She is brilliant on The Talk, and I have no idea why she gets so much hate on here. She isn't 'vile' at all. The word vile is such an overused word.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think panellists should have designated seats anymore (except the anchor). With a new set, hopefully that will become more possible. What they could do is have a news update halfway through to make it seem even more serious. Then they can discuss any breaking news. Going back to seating arrangements, where else do you think the Anchor could sit? How could the seating be configured differently? The Anchor on an armchair and the other three on a larger sofa? I just feel it's always been four women behind a table. To really change people's opinions, change the layout, change the theme tune etc.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    With a new set, hopefully that will become more possible.

The Anchor on an armchair and the other three on a larger sofa? I just feel it's always been four women behind a table. To really change people's opinions, change the layout, change the theme tune etc.

It was only a little while ago they changed the set though..I really don't think having a sofa instead of a table is going to make that much difference (or the theme tune)..as we have already seen when they sit on the daybreak sofa from time to time

I imagine talking about news that has just broke might cause issues as they wouldn't have had a chance to think about what to say beforehand and I have a feeling the discussions may have to be approved first before going to air (lawyers etc)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I don't think panellists should have designated seats anymore (except the anchor). With a new set, hopefully that will become more possible. What they could do is have a news update halfway through to make it seem even more serious. Then they can discuss any breaking news. Going back to seating arrangements, where else do you think the Anchor could sit? How could the seating be configured differently? The Anchor on an armchair and the other three on a larger sofa? I just feel it's always been four women behind a table. To really change people's opinions, change the layout, change the theme tune etc.

They should change the format a bit with the anchor In the centre with 3 panellists and a 1 guest sitting next to them for the whole show the others in the other seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was only a little while ago they changed the set though..I really don't think having a sofa instead of a table is going to make that much difference (or the theme tune)..as we have already seen when they sit on the daybreak sofa from time to time

I imagine talking about news that has just broke might cause issues as they wouldn't have had a chance to think about what to say beforehand and I have a feeling the discussions may have to be approved first before going to air (lawyers etc)

They only gave the set a facelift though. I think it needs a major change. You're probably right about discussing the news but they could still have a news break in the middle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that bit is correct.
    I hope the inclusion of Jamelia and Myleene Klass isn't.

I have just done an example with the anchor that does each day+actress+singer+extra

Re the sets: They update the set each September for the new series- off the top of my head

2013- Current
    2012-Spaceship
    2011- Red
    2010-Blue
    2009-

2008- the lounge look

I think the set could be a table in the middle with the audience circuling them rather then the stage seems they want to use the audience more-Top Gear syle.

I dont think they can go for the sofa look and the panel look is too serious now that they want to make it more like a mothers meeting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just done an example with the anchor that does each day+actress+singer+extra

Re the sets: They update the set each September for the new series- off the top of my head

2013- Current
    2012-Spaceship
    2011- Red
    2010-Blue
    2009-

2008- the lounge look

I think the set could be a table in the middle with the audience circuling them rather then the stage seems they want to use the audience more-Top Gear syle.

I dont think they can go for the sofa look and the panel look is too serious now that they want to make it more like a mothers meeting

The red and the blue had two years each. (They were the same set though - as are spaceship (as you call it hehe) and current, just different colours). The spaceship had 2.5 years (it started when Carol Vorderman started), it changed in January.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're crammed too close together in an awkward straight line. The camera seldom focuses on the guest alone. For instance, when Lynda La Plant was speaking yesterday, she was shoulder to shoulder with Coleen whose facial expressions can be distracting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite funny today when we actually saw the producer or who ever he was wave his hands in the air to make the audience cheer louder. I don't think we were meant to see that! I thought it was someone dancing at first! :D
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that anyone who disagrees with the vile Sharon Osborne will be presented with a box containing some of her poo!

What??? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    What??? :confused:

Sharon once put her dogs poo in someone's letter box for revenge about something.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon once put her dogs poo in someone's letter box for revenge about something.

No, she sent it in a Tiffany box...the woman has class you know ;-)

For the record I've always liked her and don't understand why she gets DS frothing at the mouth :confused:

Once saw her in the Dorchester about 10 years ago, she smiled at me and seemed very gracious and kind...not so much as a hint of shit ;-) She was tiny too with a really trim petite figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite funny today when we actually saw the producer or who ever he was wave his hands in the air to make the audience cheer louder. I don't think we were meant to see that! I thought it was someone dancing at first! :D

He is the warm up guy who will get the audience excited before the show and keep up the energy during the ad-breaks. Each programme with an audience will have one.
    The most famous is Ian Royce who does X Factor and BGT. They have shown the warm up guy for years when in the good days the camera zoomed around the audience including him to the stage.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to see Sharon on Wednesday. She is perfect to liven it up, even if it's only for one episode as a guest. She is brilliant on The Talk, and I have no idea why she gets so much hate on here. She isn't 'vile' at all. The word vile is such an overused word.

I got the impression from the trailers that she was joining permanently (to make one/two maybe appearances a week) and not just as a one off 'guest appearance'?
    He is the warm up guy who will get the audience excited before the show and keep up the energy during the ad-breaks. Each programme with an audience will have one.
    The most famous is Ian Royce who does X Factor and BGT. They have shown the warm up guy for years when in the good days the camera zoomed around the audience including him to the stage.

And he's presumably also responsible for getting the audience to clap enthusiastically when whichever 'loose woman' says something that the producers deem worthy of a round of applause. Something that seems to happen increasingly frequently and that I personally find quite irritating. It comes across as quite premeditated and planned.