Options

Douglas Carswell MP Defects To UKIP

Comments

• Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Douglas who? Although it's honourable to stand for re-election - something that should be mandatory for any MP changing allegience - he's a fool. It is a totally counterproductive move. He might win the by-election but I doubt he'll win at the General Election. The right just continues to shoot itself in the foot by those wanting to be more right. Don't see that anymore from the Left, who realised that it was counterproductive.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the Kippers always call the truth, "smears?"

It's a tactic they learned from the SNP.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28967904

Blimey! So I suppose they now officially have their first MP although as much as I despise UKIP at least he has had the decency to say he is stepping down and will seek re-election in a by-election.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the other thread. Mods, can this please be merged in to the other one.

He is no longer an MP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    He has a 12k majority last time. So pretty good.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Should be a pretty safe hold for him. The only hope the Conservatives might have is to dispatch Boris.

And you really think those twelve thousand will automatically switch their allegiance?
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the approved conservative line on this is out. "Vote UKIP get Milliband, who doesn't want a referendum, via the back door."
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Zac Goldsmith would be one likely ship jumper. He so rich he doesn't need to be an MP for the money or climbing the ministerial greasy pole so he could be willing to put his seat on the line.

I'm not sure, apparently he's considering going for Tory mayor when Boris steps down.
    Why do the Kippers always call the truth, "smears?"

Because the majority of the "controversies" about them are massively taken out of context or exaggerated when you delve in to them properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    There'll be more pressure on Cameron to seek an election pact with UKIP. The trouble is it would be an embarrassing u-turn after he dismissed them as fruitcakes.

How so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    Douglas who? Although it's honourable to stand for re-election - something that should be mandatory for any MP changing allegience - he's a fool. It is a totally counterproductive move. He might win the by-election but I doubt he'll win at the General Election. The right just continues to shoot itself in the foot by those wanting to be more right. Don't see that anymore from the Left, who realised that it was counterproductive.

You may never had heard of him but he has been one of the party's "free thinker" mavericks for years. He's bright, articulate and is certainly no fool.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    Farage won't be happy. He's can no longer be the first ukip mp.

the party briefly had representation when Dr Bob Spink, the MP for Castle Point, defected from the Conservative Party to UKIP on 21 April 2008
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Interesting... he's a Eurosceptic who's always been rebellious and had a difficult relationship with Cameron. He put out an alternative Tory manifesto in 2012 which was popular with voters: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133233/The-strange-feud-David-Cameron-Douglas-Carswell.html

Actually, according to your link, no it wasn't. Only the typical hard-line Tory policies like "hang 'em and flog 'em" type policies were more popular. All the important economic ones were a big dud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is no longer an MP.

Technically he is as he hasn't resigned his seat yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may never had heard of him but he has been one of the party's "free thinker" mavericks for years. He's bright, articulate and is certainly no fool.

I'm making the point that in the wider country I doubt anyone has ever heard of him. At least, north of Watford.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm making the point that in the wider country I doubt anyone has ever heard of him. At least, north of Watford.

They do now.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a good week for Cams- first Farage, then Boris and now this.

wallster wrote: »
    Goodbye and good riddance

This is the start of the civil war in the Tory party over Europe. Weak old Cameron giving in to a referendum hasn't worked has it?
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    If the Conservative Party is sensible, they will throw everything into the by-election and ensure Carswell is defeated. It would be the death knell for UKIP.

And a massive springboard for UKIP if it doesn't work.
    The electorate will know that UKIP can win seats when they head into the GE.
    Interesting times are ahead.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone who joins UKIP is a fool.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Technically he is as he hasn't resigned his seat yet.

Surely he's a Tory until he resigns his seat?
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a good week for Cams- first Farage, then Boris and now this.

This is the start of the civil war in the Tory party over Europe. Weak old Cameron giving in to a referendum hasn't worked has it?

At least we are ridding the Conservative Party of its loons. There's an opponent of gay marriage gone :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's probably true. Apart from Clacton (which according to my map is slightly north of Watford)
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    But is that a vote for the person or the party? The outcome could depend on how good the Conservative candidate is.

Saying on SkyNews more a vote for the person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do now.

Nice little PR stunt then which will ultimately be old news tomorrow. I'm certainly Euro-sceptic but this is counterproductive and helps Ed Milliband get elected. Nothing else.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the party briefly had representation when Dr Bob Spink, the MP for Castle Point, defected from the Conservative Party to UKIP on 21 April 2008

Yes, Carswell isn't even the first UKIP MP in Essex let alone the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake. But I think both men are smart enough not to do a blair/brown and have a very public argument about it.

You are putting a lot faith on two men who relish involving themselves in public spats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Surely he's a Tory until he resigns his seat?

Nope. Any MP can resign from their party and join another one if they want. They don't have to resign their seat.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Douglas Carswell - he's a superb intellect, a genuine, principled politician who enjoys cross party respect, and therefore is a great loss to the Conservative Party. I recommend his book, 'The Plan', co-written with Daniel Hannan. Also keep meaning to read 'The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy' - sounds like it's also a good read.

Moving party is of course a gamble, but I think if any political party needs to develop a cerebral underbelly it's UKIP. If he can be allowed to help craft their manifesto for the General election, that could enhance their credibility considerably.

Only problem is, this risks splitting the right, and allowing Milliband in to No.10 by default. On the other hand, UKIP is also siphoning up disaffected Labour voters, so if that could also translate into seats, this would counter the split on the Right.