Options

First victims of cruel tory welfare cap: Family of 9 evicted from their home by baili

Comments

• Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're joking right?

I'd love to follow them around for 2 years to see where they spend their money.

My guess is nice mobile phones, nice cameras, nice laptops...
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

maybe the parents should go to work as opposed to sitting in the pub, popping into the bookies and generally being lazy

im no fan of the Tories, but the benefit street brigade get right up my nose
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    You're joking right?

I'd love to follow them around for 2 years to see where they spend their money.

My guess is nice mobile phones, nice cameras, nice laptops...

so people on benefits are not allowed nice things that's not very nice of you is it>:(

I'm unemployed have a dog and have a laptop and tablet and sky ,a nice tv am I not a good mobile phone so you think i should not be allowed them:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so people on benefits are not allowed nice things that's not very nice of you is it>:(

I'm unemployed have a dog and have a laptop and tablet and sky ,a nice tv am I not a good mobile phone so you think i should not be allowed them:(

i dont understand that statement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Steve.

That depends where your income comes from, whether you are covering your bills and other responsibilities etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the parents should go to work as opposed to sitting in the pub, popping into the bookies and generally being lazy

And for people that live in the real world jobs are not that easy to get there is so much competition out there .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    Hi Steve.

That depends where your income comes from, whether you are covering your bills and other responsibilities etc...

I pay my gas ,electric ,water and TV tax and the part of council tax.
    I just end up with a tight budget for food but as I live on my own that's not much of a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And for people that live in the real world jobs are not that easy to get there is so much competition out there .

not really...you could be a bus driver

ten weeks training and £25,000 per year, 5 weeks holidays, bank holidays off with 8 hours pay
    company pension, uniform, free travel...

not hard at all..but it means you have to get up in the morning:)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

did you actually read the article ?
    Around the same time Lee, who had worked at Asda for 13 years, was made redundant shortly after switching jobs.

Since then he has struggled to find work despite applying for hundreds of posts.
    The rent on the £950-a-month property, which is privately owned, was initially paid for via housing benefits.

But in 2013 the coalition Government introduced a benefits cap of £26,000 a year per household.

This meant Lee and Katrina had to feed and clothe their nine-strong family, pay all bills and run two cars on £500 a week.

Covering the rent was impossible, so the council stepped in and met the bill with discretionary housing payments.

But these were suddenly halted last Autumn, leaving Lee and Katrina in a dire financial position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay my gas ,electric ,water and TV tax and the part of council tax.
    I just end up with a tight budget for food but as I live on my own that's not much of a problem.

Well then i'm sure nobody would have a problem with what you spend your left over money on.

The problem with the family in the story is they weren't spending their money on life's necessities by the looks of it.

They therefore have to pay the consequences.

And any anger from the general public will stem from the fact that the money they spent on gadgets instead of their bills comes from our hard work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not really...you could be a bus driver

ten weeks training and £25,000 per year, 5 weeks holidays, bank holidays off with 8 hours pay
    company pension, uniform, free travel...

not hard at all..but it means you have to get up in the morning:)

I cannot even drive a car let alone a bus.and not everybody wants to be a bus driver.
    I only go after jobs that are within my skillset and that's not far from where I live as I do not drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did you actually read the article ?

i didnt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical DM hysterical biased story.

The OP should read a decent paper.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll be better off now the council will house them so no more £950 a month rent
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Original story was in the Mirror
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious how the thousands of unskilled Eastern Europeans have no problem at all finding work in East Anglia.

Typical benefit claimants - breed like rabbits and whinge when the taxpayer is no longer expected to fund a feckless lifestyle.

Hopefully this Tory administration will bring in food vouchers and shared dormitories and stop giving the workshy a lifestyle out of reach of those who actually work for a living.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    'This meant Lee and Katrina had to feed and clothe their nine-strong family, pay all bills and run two cars on £500 a week'.

Which equals £2k per month so even after the rent of £950 they still have £1k per month to live on - how many working people have that much?

Getting rid of one of the cars would save them money.

To add, for someone not working the outside of the house looks a right tip so what do they do all day?
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't bother read the OP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winds me up totally
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my wife looked like that I'd be delighted if someone came and took her to another flat.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should be allowed to spend your money on whatever you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the cars are probably on Motability
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true gdj

No need for cars - only working people need cars.

Take a look at the photos too. It's all in the detail!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its because they were renting privately, the cost of a similar sized house in the social sector would be less than half of that rent, therefore they would be able to pay their rent.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My own view is that existing claimants should not have been affected. They should have been given transitional protection and only come under the new rules when they wanted to move.