The day SCD died

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I don't think it'd died but I do think it's lost something ,though I can't explain what.

I think the judges took some of the comments too far. All the 'John shouldn't still be here' 'It's a dance competition' got really boring and annoying. They should be prepared to have this sort of thing happen (it has before!).

I'm sorry to see John and Kristina go like this. It has probably been his time to go for a couple of weeks but I found him more entertaining than most of the other contestants. Never vote though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but SCD is now dead to me. I used to look upon it as good family entertainment, but now, with the actions of the judges hounding out JS, i feel that their will has won over that of us, the public.

It's pointless if all the power in the contest is put into the judges hands. already Len effectively had a choice each week of who goes (unless there was 3 votes to one by the judges).

and, now, potential changes next year, with a dancer going if three weeks at the bottom of the table? Again, more power to the judges.

I'm sorry, step too far. It's pointless now, and SCD has simply jumped the shark.

I agree it has died. Realising that other people will disagree with that statement though I will amend it to 'the day it died FOR ME'.

I followed the rules and voted for my favourite dances each week. I didn't realise that I wasn't really supposed to do that and I was really supposed to vote for who the judges said I could. That's why it is dead - it is no longer the programme I imagined it to be where I was free to have a sincere personal choice. It's sad really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    mousetype wrote: »
    Don't forget that there were also radio programmes apparantly urging people who don't even watch the show to vote for John, simply to wind up the judges! I don't hink the volume of votes he accrued each week were purely from fans, and I'm sure he was aware of this.
    The definition of bullying certainly seeems to have changed in recent years - there's no way John took the judges comments to heart - he's a grown up!

And more to the point there are rumours on the net (including this forum - check last weeks spoiler thread) that there is/was a site where you could send 100 votes to John by simply clicking your mousse.

He was fun to watch for about 3 weeks but when the Dancers who really worked hard at improving their dancing started getting kicked off then the fun stopped.

After what happend on the X Factor last week with that favourite getting voted off (her name escapes me as I dont watch it) it seems to me that the whole idea of these reality type contests have lost credibility and the companies who make them should either do away with judges etc. and leave it to the public vote or vice versa leave it in the judges hands completly after all the money spent on phone votes is only going to line some cat fats pocket.

Just my opinion I hope no one gets offended :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD used to be the creme de la creme of RTV, it didn't have any suspicious twists like BB and the judges didn't brainwash like XF but now with the dance offs and the judges constantly telling the fans how to vote, I think it's much worse than BB and XF combined, neither of these shows ever chucked anyone out just because they thought they would win :(
    Forum Member
    paulpenny wrote: »
    If you were voting for the couple whose dancing you genuinely enjoyed the most and that couple was John and Kristina then maybe you shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Can I ask you why I am not allowed the have a personal preference?

I enjoyed the honesty and the simplicity of the routines, the relationship, the personalities, the music, the fun, the laughter more than the technical brilliance of some of the other contestents. I also enjoyed the fact that for the first time dancing seemed accessable to me and not something which was beyond my abilities - I actually thought 'I'd like to do that'. I was moved in a way I was not by the other contestents this year.

I totally respect your preference to vote on different criteria, but that was my sincere one.

As for you saying I shouldn't be allowed to vote, well that is immaterial now as I no longer will be. But I'm not sure that banning people from voting is the way to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    It died a little bit when they introduced the Sunday night show. It died a little bit more when they extended the number of couples and the number of weeks.

But it ain't gonna die over JS! LOL!
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a sad day really and I do feel the show has lost something by this happening beside a three person final that is.

I think John is quite a strong character you don't get to be a top flight political journalist for as long as he was without being someone who can take a few knocks. This guy's dealt with Thatcher for crying out loud he could handle the likes of Craig and Arlene and whatever they dished out. He left IMO because he was one of the few celebs doing it because he fancied doing something different and having a bit of fun doing so and being a bone of contention in a bun fight between the will of the judges and his fans had ceased to be fun and it was upsetting people who wanted to be in the competition so he thought 'blow this for a game of soldiers'.

Strictly was always a hybrid between light entertainment and dancing and sadly it seems that it's two-faceted nature has led to a bitter conflict this year with both sides berating each other and sadly it was looking like it was leading to a grudge match with both sides trying to get their will enforced on the other. I think John who is an intelligent enough man to spot that politics isn't confined to Westminster could see himself winning because of an eff you judges vote and he didn't want that. I feel it's sad that things came to that and the joy was sucked out of the situation for him and as regards the blame for it I feel it's a bit of a plague on both your houses situation and that it will lead to some of the judges quitting - Arlene stated in an interview before this all kicked off that she'd got lucrative offer from the States that would lead to her not be able to judge SCD if she accepted it - she must be sorely tempted to do so now and I feel that people will start to call for the judges head to roll.

I hate to join the nay-sayers but I do wonder if as much as I've enjoyed watching Strictly this year but I'm wondering if some of the joy's gone out of it. We seem to have had a lot of nerves and uber-competativeness. Len's being very grumpy on occassion this year, there's been favouristism and we've lacked an Alesha who could marry talent and likeablity - it seems a lot of the talented aren't likeable and a lot of the likeable aren't talented. There are less really good partnerships that really seem to click - John and Kristina were one, Jodie and Ian are another one and sadly so were Cherie and James to a lesser extent. Karen and Gary seem to have completely fallen out to the extent where she's talking about not coming back next year and seems to disapeared largely from Strictly this year as has Hayley Holt and the sadest thing is that this whole sorry affair might have driven anyway Kristina - who seemed lovely, talented as a coach and dancer and along with Brian (who might not come back either) added a new energy to the show. I think as well that the whole thing started badly with the shoddy treatment of Nicole Cutler and it's been one of a few things that's left a bad taste in the mouth along with Brendan's uber-competitiveness. Maybe it's just me - I've found I've not liked some of the celebs this year whereas last year it was other people who had that problem. The main bugbear as she's talented and popular enough to still be around is 'sweet 'ickle Christine' whom it annoys me that no one seems to think is as saccrine as I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,113
    Forum Member
    I think the whole situation surrounding JS was blown completely out of proportion. I don't think the judges have 'bullied' him as such, and there comments are certainly no worse than what they've said about contestants such as Chris Parker and Kate Garraway. I do however think that they've forced their opinion upon the public which is not what the show is about, and the public have responded by keeping John in longer than he really ought to have done (based on dancing ability). I also think it's sad that so many people were voting for him just to annoy the judges, that's not the point of the show, the show is about dancing primarily, and also it's to entertain, not to wind up the judges. It's a shame it has come to this, but I don't think the show has died. In fact, it's given it that spark now that all the dancers left in the show are all very talented, so it's going to become increasingly competitive and the standard of dancing will only rise.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    I don't think it's died but, it's definitely taken a HUGE knock in the credibility stakes. The judges went too far and if they can't see that then maybe they should consider their positions. They took the John bashing way too far and at the very least should make a collective apology on Saturday about some of the things they have said about John and Kristina. I for one felt genuinely sorry for John having to appear on ITT and having to apologise for his popularity. Regardless of whether it was their intentions, they have left a lot of people feeling that John was bullied off the show. They took nasty to a whole new level, and at times made Simon Cowell look like a kitten by comparsion.

John is truly a remarkable man and I admire him greatly. I wish he had not decided to go. I was looking foreward to lots more drama and John and Kristina winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the show has died, it has wilted but can be restored. However it is a terrible shame that John has felt he has to resign. I am upset about it, not that that matters but it seems so wrong to me.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask you why I am not allowed the have a personal preference?

I enjoyed the honesty and the simplicity of the routines, the relationship, the personalities, the music, the fun, the laughter more than the technical brilliance of some of the other contestents. I also enjoyed the fact that for the first time dancing seemed accessable to me and not something which was beyond my abilities - I actually thought 'I'd like to do that'. I was moved in a way I was not by the other contestents this year.

I totally respect your preference to vote on different criteria, but that was my sincere one.

As for you saying I shouldn't be allowed to vote, well that is immaterial now as I no longer will be. But I'm not sure that banning people from voting is the way to go.

Take no notice , that was a stupid remark, of course you should vote for whoever you want to.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll hold my hand up and say I am looking forward to the rest of the series and watching the six remaining couples compete for the glitterball!

However, I do hope the producers look long and hard at how they have messed up this series with -

(a) Not sticking to the policy of dancing Latin one week and Ballroom the next

and

(b) Having the men and women celebs dancing separately for the first 4 weeks.

(Sorry but I cut and pasted this from another of my posts :o).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The implications of this are much bigger than the judges have realised. Quite simple, if you don't have popular characters, be they dancers or contestants, the show loses it's heart (and ratings).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One point that I think has been missed here is that JS is a smart man who realised that now was the time to get out for so many reasons.

It's perfectly obvious from all the views expressed that he's polarised opinion about his presence on the show. People either detested him being there and were getting increasingly annoyed that dancers they like were getting voted off whilst he stayed whilst others are loving the fact that he remained. The problem for him is a lot of his supporters didn't want him, they just wanted to annoy the judges.

Now by pulling out he's got the gratitude of his detractors and the sympathy of his "supporters". He's also avoided making himself look a complete prat on this week's dances and possibly even injuring himself training for them.

I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him and he'll make more money out of leaving the show now than he would have done by staying in to the bitter end. Like I said, he's a smart man.
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    Take no notice , that was a stupid remark, of course you should vote for whoever you want to.

Thanks, fredster! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I see it John was one of the celebs brought in to make up the numbers so the show got a nice long run on the BBC. They surely didn't invite him because they thought he'd be a fab dancer did they? He was meant to go out early doors. But actually rather than coming out and just dancing poorly he brought a bit of humour to it and the public liked that.

I think it's a shame it has come to this actually. Every year there is a celeb who causes controversy - but not like this!!
  • loz2601loz2601 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    russellfan wrote: »
    This is anti bullying week and those in SCD should be ashamed of themselves for bullying John out of the show.:(

AAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

I wonder if you people actually LIVE in the real world. You know, where there are REAL problems and REAL bullying. Or if the computer is as far as you get.

Personally, I think the show would have lost more credibility if JS had been allowed to get much further in the competition. Sure wouldn't have been anything to do with dancing any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take your point loz2601 but still we are dealing with this particular situation at the moment and it is undeniably upsetting for some of us. SCD has always been a joy to watch, one of the most wholesome programmes on TV (THE most wholesome of the reality TV shows).

Bullying, whether it be severe or mild, is unpleasant and no less unpleasant because it is directed towards a strong minded character.

I have to say, much as I like all the competitors this year and love watching good dancing, they are all a bit colourless and po-faced. I wonder if they made John feel uncomfortable, albeit unintentionally. We will probably never know, I cannot imagine John actually saying so.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread title of this topic reminded me of the song "American Pie"- the day the music died!! I've had this great idea! John and Kristina should jive to American Pie on Saturday!! Some of the lyrics are very apt!! ie-

A long, long time ago...
    I can still remember
    How that music used to make me smile.
    And I knew if I had my chance
    That I could make those people dance
    And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.

NB. I'm saying this with tongue very firmly in cheek! But it's not a bad idea!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    What a mess. Going rather than being voted off has interesting side effects. The good or improving dancer that would have been kicked out early on Sunday will now still be kicked off early and the 3 person final may now become a two person final too. Frying pan into fire.

The way to do it is to not lose anyone this week and add the judges marlks to next week's but thats the one thing they can't do when they are milking the show for another long results show. You can't have a results show with no result so John going saves no one and gets us back to the situation where the final is obvious beacuse only one person of the two can win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope Strictly would've died had Sarge's Army voted him the winner.

How could the show possibly return after that - it would be a complete joke.

John Sargeant left because he thought he could win - his odds had gone as short as 8/1 on some bookies. He himself stated that winning would be a joke too far - something Sarge's Army seems to have overlooked in their vitriollic statements.

Nonsense. The format's over.

The show's been severely damaged by this for a multitude of reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The day SCD died"

Oh, please!! For God's sake!

The show means a lot to me but to be honest the John stuff has blow so out of proportion that I really don't care anymore!
  • catslovelycatscatslovelycats Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Ratings will fall. Some people will never forgive or forget this.

I hear the mafiosa are already on the case:)
  • dottiepdottiep Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Robot wrote: »
    This season has been pretty pants all-round. John's treatment and subsequent departure is yet another nail in the coffin.:(

I don't think SCD is completely dead and buried, although for me this season may as well be, but I do think next year will need a re-start.

Preferably without Tess, Bruce, Len and James Jordan.

without Tess, Len - Absolutely agree with this statement. The sooner the better.
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think it needs a major revamp, but for the moment I am just having trouble explaining why he has gone to my six year old, who really liked Kristina.