Options

'Asda' and 'Aldi' referred to tonight.

Comments

• Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some pathetic pillocks enjoy to seek out to pull the race card at any (extremely minor) connection to a possible connotation. Just because they're Indian or whatever. It's two names that sound like something else! No one gives a shit. It ain't racist and it ain't a problem. F*ck off.
    I just give up in trying to get through. Rather talk to the bloody wall on some occasions.
    Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daynajohn wrote: »
    Tbf when it comes to non English names many English folk get confused with pronunciation etc and I think the asda and aldi joke just highlights Gloria's ignorance and represents some other people of her generation I thought it was hilarious

Me too.:D

Also hilarious are the 'desperatelyseekingracism' bods that are alert to any and every humorous incident in case they can manage to suck the fun out of it. :cool:
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait...people are bringing race into this? What the heck does race have to do with this?

Nothing at all, but it appears to be a favourite hobby of some people to make it appear to be so.

Sad isn't it? :(
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the words of Doc Brown :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrK_HVGOnUo
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well if the DS writers are looking in, they oughta read the SOR thread!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when Joe Kinnear called his player N'Zogbia Insomnia, there was a hell of a row.

if not racist, this is just lazy, to be honest. Ok for us, but not really appropriate for CS, I don't think
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Joe Kinnear called his player N'Zogbia Insomnia, there was a hell of a row.

if not racist, this is just lazy, to be honest. Ok for us, but not really appropriate for CS, I don't think

I agree it's more laziness than anything else, I remember at work a bloke who was second generation asian had a child and we asked his colleague the baby's name and he said 'Oh I can't pronounce it'. The baby's name was Rowan :D
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »

I was expecting to be taken to a link to Back To The Future :o But anyway that clip was funny :D
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well if the DS writers are looking in, they oughta read the SOR thread!

I hope that is their main port of call!
  • Options
    MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont post in here much coz I'm more of a casual viewer who catches the soaps when she can and catches up over the ironing if she cant. So I am usually somewhat behind the times and so don't have much to contribute.

I do however read a lot on here and when Gloria referred to the kids as Asda and Aldi I was all "OMG DIGITAL SPY WILL BE GOING NUTS!!!!" - and lo and behold, thus you were, in some cases for all the wrong reasons.

I think the very fact that they went to the lengths of Karl correcting Gloria and her explaining her thinking was clear evidence that the CS writers wanted to give a wink to the forums, whilst being aware that it could be entirely misconstrued in intention and taken the wrong way if it wasn't - simple as that.

I love when things like that happen - they don't a lot. I don't see the forums strewn with complaints about the nicknames being used on here prior to now. I don't think they set out to cause offence any more than they have set out to encourage old ladies into cannabis addiction. They are showing an awareness of society on both occasions though, and a social conscience.
  • Options
    Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roll your eyes as much as you like, but the characters are kids and they'll be picking up a lot of f;ack, I find the attitude re this rather disturbing. Just goes to show how unsensitive and uncaring people are.Just need to look at adult child stars to see what this kind of BS can do to them.

Yep, I bet they'll spiral into a drink & drugs living hell now as a result of this:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Just seen it on +1 hilarious thought of DS straight away genius whoever started it lol

As an Asian I don't find it racist at all just a bit of fun some take little things far too seriously I got called Mr Sheen alot because of my name never did I feel it was racist just some mucking about chill people this is meant to be a fun thread that's what I think anyway :)

Hooray, the voice of reason at last!
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I bet they'll spiral into a drink & drugs living hell now as a result of this:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D:D

(Personally, I laughed out loud at the suggestion that the 'A&A' actors are 'child stars') :rolleyes::D:D
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It made me crack up when Glo said it last night, as i had recorded the epsiode i rewinded it after she said it so i could laugh again, people just seem to find a need to complain about sod all these days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Just seen it on +1 hilarious thought of DS straight away genius whoever started it lol

As an Asian I don't find it racist at all just a bit of fun some take little things far too seriously I got called Mr Sheen alot because of my name never did I feel it was racist just some mucking about chill people this is meant to be a fun thread that's what I think anyway :)

What a great comment topgooner100, thank you so much for your voice of reason.

I thought it was one of the funniest lines I have heard recently on Corrie when Gloria came out with those names, and said she always wondered why a corner shop would name their children after the competition. The joke was actually on Gloria for her own ignorance and certainly not aimed at the children who, incidentally, I think are adorable, and are both showing signs of becoming great little actors in their own right :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I dont post in here much coz I'm more of a casual viewer who catches the soaps when she can and catches up over the ironing if she cant. So I am usually somewhat behind the times and so don't have much to contribute.

I do however read a lot on here and when Gloria referred to the kids as Asda and Aldi I was all "OMG DIGITAL SPY WILL BE GOING NUTS!!!!" - and lo and behold, thus you were, in some cases for all the wrong reasons.

I think the very fact that they went to the lengths of Karl correcting Gloria and her explaining her thinking was clear evidence that the CS writers wanted to give a wink to the forums, whilst being aware that it could be entirely misconstrued in intention and taken the wrong way if it wasn't - simple as that.

I love when things like that happen - they don't a lot. I don't see the forums strewn with complaints about the nicknames being used on here prior to now. I don't think they set out to cause offence any more than they have set out to encourage old ladies into cannabis addiction. They are showing an awareness of society on both occasions though, and a social conscience.

Excellent post :)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great comment topgooner100, thank you so much for your voice of reason.

I thought it was one of the funniest lines I have heard recently on Corrie when Gloria came out with those names, and said she always wondered why a corner shop would name their children after the competition. The joke was actually on Gloria for her own ignorance and certainly not aimed at the children who, incidentally, I think are adorable, and are both showing signs of becoming great little actors in their own right :)

Bib : Exactly! Thank god for those of us, (most of us), who saw it for what is was - ie, a very witty play on words, which did nothing more than make us laugh at Gloria's genuine confusion over the names. :D:D

(Don't forget you 'desperatelyseekingracism' types - there was no earthly reason why recent addition Gloria should have known the kids' names - she had nothing whatsoever to do with them).

It was extremely funny - all the more so because we DS-ers came up with the joke. :cool::cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuJH-aH43A

:D

Anyway why are people saying its racism ?

Does that mean half of the people on here are raciest for saying it ?

Get a grip! I
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go back through this thread and find where the racist claims came from, but I just cannot be bothered. The most stupid, ludicrous claims I think I have ever heard.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd be surprised what MY name gets misconstrued as !!! :D

Anyway, I'm glad the mispronunciation of a name doesnt offend you.....that's all it is, mispronunciation - nothing more sinister. :)
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go back through this thread and find where the racist claims came from, but I just cannot be bothered. The most stupid, ludicrous claims I think I have ever heard.
    Keviness wrote: »
    I've seen some tweets saying it's casual racism! :confused::confused::confused:

I think I planted the seed :o:o
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrTaylor wrote: »

Brilliant :D:D
    The bit that makes it for me is the "I thought it was odd, them having the corner shop, and naming the kids after the competition" :D:D
  • Options
    PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    If gloria does refer Devs kids as Asda and Aldi im gonna crack up, even if it is a serious scene

It was funny but would have been better if it not have been said at the time when the poor kids are so upset about their Mum.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I say that I found the 'Asda and Aldi' comment both funny AND a bit grandma-racist? I mean, the kind of thing your gran would say that it wouldn't even occur to a young person to say. Unless they were young royalty of course ;)

Coming from Gloria and the deeper hole she digs for herself every ep, that's probably exactly what the writers intended.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    It was funny but would have been better if it not have been said at the time when the poor kids are so upset about their Mum.

They weren't there, so why are their feelings relevant? The joke is at Gloria's expense, not A & A's.