Options

Band Aid 30

Comments

• Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I'm not very 'up' with the pop stars of today being an old git.

So please tell me who is the screeching bint in red who appears a couple of times?

Absolutely horrific.

Rita Ora? I think she recorded her bits seperately hence the completely hideous screeching with no thought to the rest of the song.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Rita Ora? I think she recorded her bits seperately hence the completely hideous screeching with no thought to the rest of the song.

I really don't get why Geldof was so desperate to have Rita Ora on this record, despite having several no. 1 singles most people don't seem to know who she is and she's hardly likely to be known in a couple of years. But most of the people on it seem pretty random this time.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    I really don't get why Geldof was so desperate to have Rita Ora on this record, despite having several no. 1 singles most people don't seem to know who she is and she's hardly likely to be known in a couple of years. But most of the people on it seem pretty random this time.

She's in the press a lot, that's why. She's quite a well known face. Wouldn't say that she is necessarily known for her music.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said before, I've never heard tell of her, so she must be famous!

Next call Ant & Dec??
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Rodney wrote: »

Next call Ant & Dec??

They're probably better singers than her to be honest, and they did have a number 1 single last year... not such a daft idea that!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rodney wrote: »

Well she's best friends with Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw and he knows everyone!

That and the fact she's going to be appearing in 50 Shades of Grey movie next year.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who doesn't know who's taking part in Band Aid 30 here's a who's who list, incredibly featuring 3 YouTube people who i've never heard of who can't even sing! :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837151/Bob-s-modern-Band-Aid-YouTube-stars-reality-singers-join-veterans-new-single.html
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably already mentioned but Bono couldn't stay away could he?
    Even down to his so called trademark but slightly reworded line.
    What a dope.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't know who's taking part in Band Aid 30 here's a who's who list, incredibly featuring 3 YouTube people who i've never heard of who can't even sing! :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837151/Bob-s-modern-Band-Aid-YouTube-stars-reality-singers-join-veterans-new-single.html

Since when the hell was Jessie Ware compared to Adele? They don't sound alike at all, and their music is in a totally different vein... Stupid comparison. I'm quite surprised she didn't even get a solo line when Rita Ora seemed to be plastered all over the song.

You can tell they put this together ridiculously quick. I think I'd rather donate tbh and not have the song lol.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    You can tell they put this together ridiculously quick. I think I'd rather donate tbh and not have the song lol.

I find that too. As much as Band Aid 20 gets slated, that one did seem to have more effort put into it. It had quite a few pretty big names of the time, and the whole song & video seemed much more polished.

This was does genuinely seem like it was thrown together at a moments notice, and the lack of talent featuring on it doesn't really suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love how people were saying earlier how bad it was doing on iTunes.

Check it now number one..
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love how people were saying earlier how bad it was doing on iTunes.

Check it now number one..

If you read the post below it you would now itunes crashed for awhile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I find that too. As much as Band Aid 20 gets slated, that one did seem to have more effort put into it. It had quite a few pretty big names of the time, and the whole song & video seemed much more polished.

This was does genuinely seem like it was thrown together at a moments notice, and the lack of talent featuring on it doesn't really suggest otherwise.

I agree i think they have planned this for months but when ebola came out they made out it was a last minute decision to help the cause but the lyrics just didnt fit into the song
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dare say that, Dizzee Rascal rapping aside, I preferred the 2004 version to this one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had a listen, I hated it. This version lacked Bros. :) And any sign of serious effort.

Seeing One Direction's serious faces on the video made me cringe so much. Plus there didn't seem to be a lot of artists there compared to the older versions during the big 'Let them know it's Xmas time' melody.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame Rita Ora (who cheapens anything she goes near, urgh) was not only involved, but given so much spotlight in the video because apart from that I am surprised in how much I actually like it.

It's made up for the travesty that is the 2004 version, and I've bought the single because it's only 99p and at least Geldof is trying something when it comes to Ebola, which is more than can be said for the majority of the world's politicians.

Credit where it's due, I am pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    It's a real shame Rita Ora (who cheapens anything she goes near, urgh) was not only involved, but given so much spotlight in the video because apart from that I am surprised in how much I actually like it.

It's made up for the travesty that is the 2004 version, and I've bought the single because it's only 99p and at least Geldof is trying something when it comes to Ebola, which is more than can be said for the majority of the world's politicians.

Credit where it's due, I am pleasantly surprised.

Im guessing she "nabbed" adeles parts
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    From what I recall of Band Aid 20, the song and video was released a few days after it had been recorded. I'm sure I remember Madonna appearing before the video premiered on most TV channels introducing it.

So the lack of time this time around more than likely explains the slapped-together nature of it. At least Joss Stone isn't crying in this one...
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also at the risk of sounding controversial.

None of these guys are on this song 'to help charity' well apart from their own maybe ;) its all about them and them alone being part of an iconic song. Rita Ora being part of it - she the girl who would sell her own gran for a front page story on herself proves this.

Just give directly to the charity and don't bother buying this. That's my opinion.

That's very insightful.

Given that pretty much anyone would want to support such a good cause, can you talk a bit more about why the people taking part in this would not want to support such a good cause?

Regarding giving directly, that's all well and good, but do you think people would give as much were it not for something like this?

I'm guessing not a chance in hell.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    That's very insightful.

Given that pretty much anyone would want to support such a good cause, can you talk a bit more about why the people taking part in this would not want to support such a good cause?

Regarding giving directly, that's all well and good, but do you think people would give as much were it not for something like this?

I'm guessing not a chance in hell.

I can see where 'Hit Em Up Style' is coming from. But I also agree with your comments. Were it not for the publicity generated by this then not many people would be giving directly to the charity in question.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I can see where 'Hit Em Up Style' is coming from. But I also agree with your comments. Were it not for the publicity generated by this then not many people would be giving directly to the charity in question.

You may be right - but The Ebola Crisis Appeal has now raised £21 million. :)
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

I don't see were they are coming from at all.

This cynicism rears its head for every one of these type of records, but I will never understand it.

That people taking part might benefit indirectly should in no way preclude them from actually caring about the cause. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

And I will never understand who anyone actually thinks they are to presume that people taking part don't care as much as anyone else does. Pop stars are just people too - they're not monsters, somehow rendered incapable of compassion just because they are famous.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837643/Band-Aid-sales-gone-manic-pre-orders-raise-1million-just-minutes-TV-premiere.html

With regards to this I feel if the musicians donated a large sum of money it might seem a bit less asking people to buy it? I mean why can't they chip in a few thousand each?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837643/Band-Aid-sales-gone-manic-pre-orders-raise-1million-just-minutes-TV-premiere.html

With regards to this I feel if the musicians donated a large sum of money it might seem a bit less asking people to buy it? I mean why can't they chip in a few thousand each?

There are a handful of musicains involved, if they really care about the cause, could double the first week sales and if i was them with ridiculous amounts of money id do just that
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how do you know they haven't? You don't. The download costs 99p. Not a lot is it.