The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hope all my fellow JJaters are well.

Sorry to hear about your dentist woes, Lindy, nyannie and augusta. Hope you're all feeling better now. :)

Oh dear georgy and Lindy - Liverpool - what can I say? :o

Arsenal won again, after our little hiccup against Chelsea. :o:)

Have you been watching the documentary series about Liverpool FC on Channel 5?

I've finished the book by the way. :) (The Forgotten Waltz) nearly threw it across the room a couple of times :o and now I'm indulging in some much needed light hearted nonsense. :D

oh no
    don't talk about liverpools woes

bends ones arm
    behind ones back
    and here goes
    you can do it georgy
    a well done Arsenal :D

yes have been watching the Liverpool Docu
    i've really enjoyed it :D
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afternoon all :) Sorry not been around, time just seems to fly even when you're doing f-all :D

Just to let you know, the Social Worker asked her superiors about the weekend and they approved financing a carer for some or all of the weekend, so it should be a 'go' from me, all being well :)
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    I've had a look around for you nyannie
    goggle
    BBC Good Food Guide, Tiny Toads recipe
    gives you a recipe, they say also freezes well

hope thats of help :D

Thanks georgy. This looks so easy even I can do it! Will look it up.
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Afternoon all :) Sorry not been around, time just seems to fly even when you're doing f-all :D

Just to let you know, the Social Worker asked her superiors about the weekend and they approved financing a carer for some or all of the weekend, so it should be a 'go' from me, all being well :)

:D:):D:)Yipee!!!! So glad you got the OK. Look forward to meeting you. We will have to have a toast to John for bringing us all together. Will PM you with address and details.
    Forum Member
    Trots into thread sporting new hair do.....I've gone short....it's a bit chilly round the neck and ears. :eek::o

Yes the wanderer returns, been a bit hectic down here. Had to deal with estate agents, solicitors, plumbers and electricians - not necessarily in that order. My brain is :confused:

I'm with you georgy Auntie Bessie saves the day lol. (My mum would be appalled)

But for you nyannie, this is the tried and trusted recipe that my mum always used and she was a fabulous cook (don't ask what happened to me):o

4oz plain flour
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    half pint liquid (two-thirds milk, one-third water)

Sieve flour and salt into basin, drop in egg and beat mixture well. Gradually beat in just enough liquid to make a stiff batter. Beat until smooth, leave for about 5 mins, then gradually beat in the rest of the liquid.

Put pea size piece of fat into individual patty tins and heat in oven. Then pour batter into tins and cook for 15-20 mins in a hot oven.

Or according to my sister, you can nip to Iceland and buy Aunt Bessie's Tidgy Toad in the Hole. :o:D

Will try this tomorrow - very very simple - shouldn't have said this. Thanks so much.
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Hope all my fellow JJaters are well.

Sorry to hear about your dentist woes, Lindy, nyannie and augusta. Hope you're all feeling better now. :)

Oh dear georgy and Lindy - Liverpool - what can I say? :o

Arsenal won again, after our little hiccup against Chelsea. :o:)

Have you been watching the documentary series about Liverpool FC on Channel 5?

I've finished the book by the way. :) (The Forgotten Waltz) nearly threw it across the room a couple of times :o and now I'm indulging in some much needed light hearted nonsense. :D

evening all.....now why would you want to throw the book across the room;)

Although im finding it sort of interesting hearing the story from the perspective of the other woman......I dont usually have that much sympathy for anyone who cheats or goes out with someone they know is already married.....

so its an odd book for me to read as well........I dont think it would have been one i would have chosen...

but i spose it might mean we all have a lot to say about it....!!!
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Will try this tomorrow - very very simple - shouldn't have said this. Thanks so much.

Hi all

Sorry, have been out all day...this would be my recipe too :) The only thing I can add is, if you we're making one larger Yorkshire pud, to go with roast beef, you could put it in the oven on a shelf under the meat (which is itself on an open shelf). That way you get lots of lovely beefy flavour actually dripping into the pud - yum :D

Trouble is, you also spend half a day cleaning the oven :p As you can imagine, this idea dates from years ago ....I'd be too lazy now :(:o
    Forum Member

That's great news Ali :D look forward to meeting you :D
    Forum Member
    oh no
    don't talk about liverpools woes

bends ones arm
    behind ones back
    and here goes
    you can do it georgy
    a well done Arsenal :D

yes have been watching the Liverpool Docu
    i've really enjoyed it :D

Well said Georgy :D

PS I haven't seen the documentary, will have to catch it somewhere online ...:o

btw a friend of ours who has been ill and unable to attend matches recently, has received a lovely letter from Brendan Rodgers........well, I was determined to find something positive to say! :cool: :D
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    evening all.....now why would you want to throw the book across the room;)

Although im finding it sort of interesting hearing the story from the perspective of the other woman......I dont usually have that much sympathy for anyone who cheats or goes out with someone they know is already married.....

so its an odd book for me to read as well........I dont think it would have been one i would have chosen...

but i spose it might mean we all have a lot to say about it....!!!

Hmm, I'm going away for a few days later this week and was hoping to enjoy reading the book :( Never mind, I'll take a couple of others as spares and I look forward to our discussion next week! :)
    Forum Member

:D:):D:)Yipee!!!! So glad you got the OK. Look forward to meeting you. We will have to have a toast to John for bringing us all together. Will PM you with address and details.

I think this is going to be a pretty special meet up..

its always nice to meet up with friends.....and gives christmas a bit of something to look forwards to...

apart from all the shopping......!! and present buying.......dont get me wrong, i love giving meaningful presents to people, but the things i actually want to buy people as a gift, are usually expensive...

years and years ago...a friend told me of their family tradition of making gifts for other family members, so that it made christmas less expensive and more meaningful.

I did try and suggest it to my family.....and they all laughed at me......:o

but at least this way....id get something i already knew was useless and inexpensive.......rather than be given something that i knew was useless and expensive..!!!..

im also wondering whether its better to give each other money, so that we can all go out and buy ourselves a present.......and save all the guesswork....???
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm going away for a few days later this week and was hoping to enjoy reading the book :( Never mind, I'll take a couple of others as spares and I look forward to our discussion next week! :)

oh no read it...you might really love it........it is an interesting book as i said.....

its like the book ofthe song of achilles, which i didnt like but that kfb and others loved..... everyone likes slightly different things.....and thats as it should be.......
    Forum Member
    isnt it odd we havent heard a word from or about JOhn since the beginning of august.....

I wonder what on earth has happened to him?

As we are still old friends now on the thread, its nice to keep things going without any imput from him, but it would be lovely to get just a brief message.......

or do you suppose he is now all grown up and moved on .......??
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    I think this is going to be a pretty special meet up..

its always nice to meet up with friends.....and gives christmas a bit of something to look forwards to...

oh no read it...you might really love it........it is an interesting book as i said.....

its like the book ofthe song of achilles, which i didnt like but that kfb and others loved..... everyone likes slightly different things.....and thats as it should be.......

It does seem to have the makings of a special meet-up, not least because we've stuck together all these years ( I feel a song coming on......:p )

I will take the book with me, it's just that I'll also take a couple of others for back up......I agree, discussions work best when there are varying viewpoints expressed :D

And as for what's happened to John :eek: I guess I can only hope that he has grown up and moved on......but I still think it's odd that he never said a word by way of goodbye or see you soon, or anything :confused:

Remember this, for example
    ;)
    And the furore it caused?

That would be all we need
    Really ;):D
    Forum Member
    This is the song ( just because I feel like it! :cool:)

Oh we ain't got a barrel of money
    Maybe we're ragged and funny
    But we travel along
    Singing a song
    Side by side

Through all kinds of weather
    What if the sky should fall?
    As long as we're together
    It really doesn't matter at all

Oh they've all had their troubles and parted
    We'll be the same as we started
    Just a travelling along
    Singing our song
    Side by side

***one of my favourites of all time! ***

:D:D:D

Lindy xx

PS I honestly haven't had a drink :o;)
    Forum Member
    Night all :yawn:

Sleep well :sleep: :sleep:

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

My goodness Lindy, that song is from the 1930s! I remember singing it after seeing a TV program.

Lena and georgy. Thanks for the recipes. I tried Lena's last night - really light and fluffy and go well with the sausages. Can I freeze them?

Doctor's this morning and then a meeting about school provision in the area. Planners and developers are at fault as there seems to be little if any strategic, long-range planning.

Lindy, have a wonderful time on holiday. Wish it were me. We are going to York at the end of the week but I do wish it was an exotic location.

I can suggest Museum of Innocence or Snow by Orham Partuk (sp?) or a Thousand Acres. Both excellent.

See you when you get back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning JJAT ...Although I do make my own Yorkshire Puds I do love the Aunt Bessies too ...I cheat doing toad in the hole just cook sausages and pop them in big yorkshires with lashings of gravy..My hole normally has a soggy bottom when I do it properly..Just watching Chatty Man from Friday Alan Carr as that Hilary hilarious I had tears down my face..Here's hoping John is having a great life he certainly looked a lot better on the photos that were posted..Off to pop the bins out in case they come early ..Have a great day..
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

My goodness Lindy, that song is from the 1930s! I remember singing it after seeing a TV program.

Lena and georgy. Thanks for the recipes. I tried Lena's last night - really light and fluffy and go well with the sausages. Can I freeze them?

Doctor's this morning and then a meeting about school provision in the area. Planners and developers are at fault as there seems to be little if any strategic, long-range planning.

Lindy, have a wonderful time on holiday. Wish it were me. We are going to York at the end of the week but I do wish it was an exotic location.

I can suggest Museum of Innocence or Snow by Orham Partuk (sp?) or a Thousand Acres. Both excellent.

I know :p My dad used to sing me music hall songs when I was a child ( not many nursery rhyme type ones for me! )

I loved these old songs, so chipper or so poignant :cool: I have plenty ......but I won't inflict them on you ;)

Have a great break nyannie. Thanks for the book suggestions. Speak to you when we get back :)

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    Morning JJAT ...Although I do make my own Yorkshire Puds I do love the Aunt Bessies too ...I cheat doing toad in the hole just cook sausages and pop them in big yorkshires with lashings of gravy..My hole normally has a soggy bottom when I do it properly..Just watching Chatty Man from Friday Alan Carr as that Hilary hilarious I had tears down my face..Here's hoping John is having a great life he certainly looked a lot better on the photos that were posted..Off to pop the bins out in case they come early ..Have a great day..

Morning lizznhayley :)

Now you're a Yorkshire lass I think, so you are the expert - but I thought Yorkshire pud was meant to be a bit soggy ? Well, the original kind, anyway. Its role was to soak up meat juice and fill up hungry workers who - being a bit short on cash - had very little meat .....I think it was often eaten before the main course, to disguise the paucity of the latter...?

Will stop withering now :o Must get on and sort out laundry....:rolleyes: xx
    Forum Member
    Morning lizznhayley :)

Now you're a Yorkshire lass I think, so you are the expert - but I thought Yorkshire pud was meant to be a bit soggy ? Well, the original kind, anyway. Its role was to soak up meat juice and fill up hungry workers who - being a bit short on cash - had very little meat .....I think it was often eaten before the main course, to disguise the paucity of the latter...?

Will stop withering now :o Must get on and sort out laundry....:rolleyes: xx

isn t it odd how times and recipes change...

when I was at school, our school cook used to make us special potato crisps as a treat........

cut and sliced potatos fried in a shallow pan.. which were then left to dry and cool......we all thought they were extremely odd and avoided them unless we had to.....

scroll through 30 odd years....and now this kind of crisp has been renamed as kettle chips and they are now extremely popular.....

but i still find it hard to like them that much........:D
    Forum Member
    This is the song ( just because I feel like it! :cool:)

Oh we ain't got a barrel of money
    Maybe we're ragged and funny
    But we travel along
    Singing a song
    Side by side

Through all kinds of weather
    What if the sky should fall?
    As long as we're together
    It really doesn't matter at all

Oh they've all had their troubles and parted
    We'll be the same as we started
    Just a travelling along
    Singing our song
    Side by side

***one of my favourites of all time! ***

:D:D:D

Lindy xx

PS I honestly haven't had a drink :o;)

I know that song as well....its lovely and cheerful.......im trying to remember when i first heard it...???:confused:

afternoon everyone...

how are you all??
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

teaching early years children , i would definitely agree....there is a huge bulge in the number of 5 year olds, currently due to start school, and a lot of overcrowding and rebuilding in classrooms to cater for them.....

But they were born nearly 5 years ago? So why wasnt this change predicted and planned for? some of these decisions all seems so last minute .........:confused:.
    Forum Member

You are a genius lizz - I was wondering how to freeze both the yorkshires and the sausages and you have answered my question. I did love Alan Carr's last show too. The guests really make it though!

As for John, I wonder if he is still in the surf shop!
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Well the meeting last night seemed to be a stitch-up imo.

The site is near a railway bridge on a road which is bulging with rush-hour traffic and is used as a rat run. The land may be on contaminated soil and there seems to be no consideration for the future - again!!! What a waste of time - oh - and covenants on land seem to count for nothing!!
    Forum Member
    Oops! Forgot to wish you all a good morning and Lindy - have a lovely break. We will miss you. Next week we will discuss our book and I will book the lunch for the John James Appreciation Society - look out for PMs.

Busy week next week. Didn't sleep well so will be going back to bed shortly.
This discussion has been closed.