Most haunting film you have ever seen

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Haha, it's not that bad!:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on your definiton of disturbing though. I can watch any gory blood and guts type film, am a HUGE Hellraiser fan etc but that little cartoon I watched earlier really upset me.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely Bones is haunting I found The others to be haunting ie ghost story. Also Ghost is a haunting love story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.

it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Bed

I remember seeing that and kept asking people years later if they knew the name of it, nobody else seemed to remember it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many choices, but for today:

Never Let Me Go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    When the Wind Blows.

Haven't seen it for years. I'm sure it's not as scary as it was in the 80s but I bet it's still pretty moving.

I foumd watching it as an adult worse actually. A lot of 'unsaid' things that I missed as a child were more obvious to me.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Yes I have seen that, I didnt realise it was a true story though. Thats dreadful.

I'm so pleased you are no longer in that situation.
    :)
    it wasn`t all bad, i came out the other side with a stronger character, so in a way it served me well.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these suggestions are stupid and not disturbing at all. If you want disturbing and a film that will stay with you, watch Martyrs.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures. That scene where the two girls
    Brutally murder the mother
    Whilst The Humming Chorus from Madam Butterfly plays over it...

Now he could re do the clunky special effects, pity he cant remake his own film, really.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these suggestions are stupid and not disturbing at all. If you want disturbing and a film that will stay with you, watch Martyrs.

Op asked for haunting not disturbing...two different things.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That would be Small Sacrifices, based on the real life murders committed by Diane Downs - although she did not kill herself.
    That sounds quite interesting, I might watch that one. :) Not like Threads, that is yikes. But then I think anything to with that subject is yikes.
    Other than that only one I can think of is Mirrors, that was so creepy that for about three weeks I covered up the mirror in the bedroom when I was alone in there. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since when "most haunting" means "disturbing"? :confused:

In any case, Martyrs doesn't know the meaning of subtlety. :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

who are you to say whether someone finds something disturbing or not when you know little to nothing about them or their lives?

edit: and if you do, for that matter.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I foumd watching it as an adult worse actually. A lot of 'unsaid' things that I missed as a child were more obvious to me.

I missed your mention of it in the OP, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

I haven't seen it since the 80s and it's stayed with me all these decades.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That would be Small Sacrifices, based on the real life murders committed by Diane Downs - although she did not kill herself.

Thanks for that. Looks like I got a few things wrong. But I've not seen it for over 20 years so probably understandable!

Not necessarily whole films haunting me, but certain scenes that I don't think will leave me are Artax in Neverending Stories swamp of sadness, and the quite surprising shock that comes in Bridge To Terebethia. That last one really upsets me just thinking about it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Since when "most haunting" means "disturbing"? :confused:

In any case, Martyrs doesn't know the meaning of subtlety. :D

:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looks like I got a few things wrong. But I've not seen it for over 20 years so probably understandable!

Not necessarily whole films haunting me, but certain scenes that I don't think will leave me are Artax in Neverending Stories swamp of sadness, and the quite surprising shock that comes in Bridge To Terebethia. That last one really upsets me just thinking about it!

That hit me:(
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    This may not fully qualify but does involve films showing what happens to many animals poultry and other creatures during their miserable lives on farms and factory farms and the brutal callous treatment they can and often are subject to - even before they arrive at the final desintation for a (humane ?) barbaric slaughtering. -
    Thats the human race - Said to be the cruellest animal on earth.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly I didn't think that was a big deal at all, just gory. I've seen things on Doctor Who that bothered me more.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark Water
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Threads on BBC4 some years ago now and I really wish I hadn't. Words can't explain how depressing and unsettling it is. I found 28 Days Later very haunting as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I didn't think that was a big deal at all, just gory. I've seen things on Doctor Who that bothered me more.

And you said Threads bothered you?:confused::rolleyes:
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above Threads and When the Wind Blows but recently - "The Hunt" a Danish film about a teacher accused of child abuse. The way it is filmed feels like a horror film - foreboding and tense
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Lovely Bones is haunting I found The others to be haunting ie ghost story. Also Ghost is a haunting love story.
    Is The Others the one where the woman's son goes missing in the haunted house and they find him dead in the basement eventually? Did you watch all the way to the end, it's a nice ending actually although quite sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    Not necessarily whole films haunting me, but certain scenes that I don't think will leave me [snip]

That's usually the case for me. Scenes tend to haunt me more than films as a whole. Au revoir les enfants, for instance, is an interesting WWII film set in a school for boys and not that memorable, but there is a scene in that film that still haunts me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is The Others the one where the woman's son goes missing in the haunted house and they find him dead in the basement eventually? Did you watch all the way to the end, it's a nice ending actually although quite sad.

That's The Orphanage.