Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away! Channel 5

barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!
Monday 24th February 8pm
Description The show will follow some of the most experienced, ‘no nonsense’ bailiffs in the country as they visit mansions, shops, businesses and flats repossessing cash, cars, houses and even pets.

Sounds just like a re-take on C4's shocking 'The Repo Man' featuring a man with a past involved in a very gray area of the law. His debt collecting firm Donegal Finance Limited was subsequently been stripped of its credit licence by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) "in order to protect consumers".

Nothing Ive read so far or watching the current Channel 5 trailer, suggests this programme from Touch Productions will be any different to its C4 version. Bailiffs breaking glass anyone?

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a mean version of Here Comes The Sheriffs which itself is a slightly more boring version of the old BBC1 show 'Baliffs'
  • barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Sounds like a mean version of Here Comes The Sheriffs which itself is a slightly more boring version of the old BBC1 show 'Baliffs'

Comment and TV guides suggest 'Can't Pay' follows at least two firms, involving both sheriffs and repo men. It will be interesting to see the difference.

The Sheriffs as on BBC1 are professional, and have more powers than ordinary bailiffs. They are more correctly called High Court Enforceemnt Officers, and are highy unlikely to put a legal foot wrong.

However we wait to see if the repo men side of this program act better than 'The Repo Man' (C4). Trouble is promised, so I'm not very hopeful. Given that I guess this series was filmed months ago, will it help 'third parties' to report to police any illegal acts in these repossessions having witnessed them on our televisions?

Debt collection fine, debt harrassment is an offence. Fine line.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,705
    Forum Member
    It is on at 9PM not 8PM for those interested
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is on at 9PM not 8PM for those interested

Thanks bananaman, they've obviously moved it back an hour from the schedule a fortnight ago, i guess too much bleeping/threatening behaviour/violence for pre-watershed.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »

I thought that when I saw the trailer. The Sheriffs are my guilty pleasure :blush:
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this thread would have been huge by now :eek:
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww that poor guy. :(:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The Sheriffs are my guilty pleasure :blush:

Me too, I wouldn't mind Kev seizing my goods! :blush::D
  • PJ HunnybunnyPJ Hunnybunny Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very uncomfortable viewing, there but for the grace of god etc :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felt sorry for that bloke and his wife getting evicted :(
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt so sorry for that guy, 2 hours to pack up 19 years worth of stuff..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it in the job description to have bright red ears to work as a person who reprocess cars?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Felt sorry for that bloke and his wife getting evicted :(

And the poor dog. :cry:
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke should have got out when he was first told
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Very uncomfortable viewing. :(

Poor thing pooped himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry but it did make me laugh when he had to clean up the poo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have self employed friends who have struggled financially & they always told me that the inland revenue are the buggers that will take your home!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Pinner, wonder if hes related to Vince! :D
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I have self employed friends who have struggled financially & they always told me that the inland revenue are the buggers that will take your home!

Yeah, taxi driver really should have focussed on sorting that debt before anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think overall the teams featured were more restrained and professional than on 'The Repo Man'. Maybe thats why the response on here is muted compared to that earlier programme.

I think this is the Nemesis mentioned http://www.nemesislegalservices.com/
    but why did they have A.T.A.R. on their uniforms, have vaguely police style uniforms and anonymous vans with police styling.

The High Court Enforcement Officers had even more police style uniforms. Tis slightlly frightening that these higher authority than county court bailiffs with power to force their way in, can be employed via the High Court purely by paying more money.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work for a big finance company in London Docklands that done car finance. Had the same problems with people not paying their loans like this programme. Me and colleagues repoed a few cars and cleared various pubs and restaurants and had to sell on the repoed goods to put against the peoples debts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Yeah, taxi driver really should have focussed on sorting that debt before anything else.

Like selling that massive tv he didn't even need for one
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »

He should have. I wondered about his attitude deep down. A slight sense of entitlement perhaps? His very words when asked about the dog "If I can't have children I have to have pets".

That couple being evicted in Slough. After all the warnings, the county court orders, and the sixteen months of legal wrangling, they still took the p*ss when finally the baliffs kicked them out.

They thought they had a right to get upset and create a fuss in case they didn't quite have to accept the final verdict even this far down the line.
    On leaving the property they still thought it was their right to get angry and aggressive when told off for their delaying tactics and going over the deadlines the baliffs kept having to extend.

I do wonder if it isn't a certain trait that gets a lot of people into these situations in the first place.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    barclay55 wrote: »
    I think this is the Nemesis mentioned http://www.nemesislegalservices.com/
    but why did they have A.T.A.R. on their uniforms, have vaguely police style uniforms and anonymous vans with police styling.

On their website it says
    Nemesis Legal Services is a member of Asset Trace and Recovery Agents. The Asset Trace and Recovery Agents is an initiative in North Wales to provide high risk recovery of assets.

I remember waking up one morning and seeing a removal van at the end of the road. Went to school, came home and was told the bailiffs had evicted a neighbour and family with an hours notice.

They moved in with family and the son quit school and got a job. He got sent to Chechnya and was kidnapped and beheaded :cry:

Terrible indirect outcome.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    while i felt sorry for the couple & of course the poor dog - getting into that amount of debt is nearly impossible without a lottery win to ever pay back. though he should have been more careful in the first place. only having 2 hours as well to pack up a home is ridiculous but then again he had months notice - i guess it is a case of burying your head in the sand hoping it will go away.

but he did have an apple mac book he could sell for £1.5k plus the big tv. if i had both of those & my debt was that bad they would be sold straight away. though it wouldn't have made a huge difference with his huge debt it would have gave him enough to live on for a bit longer.

one thing i found disgusting though was him having to pay two lots of rent. they evict him & keep charging him when surely they could have sold the place & then evicted him then instead saving a guy in lots of debt from even more. why is it these very rich companies pile on more charges to people thus increasing the debt. people who get in debt obviously don't have the money to pay the charges hence them getting in debt in the first place. that's always bothered me , he was an idiot for getting into the debt & not sorting it but that's one thing i felt sympathy with him about.

that guy who smashed up the car on the other hand was a chav thug who funnily enough could afford another car. what an idiot
This discussion has been closed.