The Liver Birds

bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone else watching The Liver Birds? ( Weekdays on Drana at 1pm)
Its years since I last saw it and it didn't dawn on me then that despite being a "Liver bird" Polly James had a broad Lancashire accent, yet her parents on the programme had Liverpool accents! :confused:

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah im watching it, used to love it, i remember when Bernices mother from Emmerdale was in it, i too noticed she doesn't sound Liverpudlian like Nerys.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Along with Butterflies, about the only half-decent thing Carla Laine ever wrote.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I liked about this was Mollie Sugden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Along with Butterflies, about the only half-decent thing Carla Laine ever wrote.

I loved Butterflies, its on Drama on Saturday that again.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught a few episodes on Gold either last year or the year before, but that's about it. I'd probably watch it again if I came across it while flicking the channels, but I wouldn't go out of my way to sit down and watch it or to buy the DVDs.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Is anyone else watching The Liver Birds? ( Weekdays on Drana at 1pm)
    Its years since I last saw it and it didn't dawn on me then that despite being a "Liver bird" Polly James had a broad Lancashire accent, yet her parents on the programme had Liverpool accents! :confused:

I think she was from Oswaldtwistle.......
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've got me singing the theme tune now.....

'if you're standing on a corner all alone and feeling low ........................'etc etc
  • greygrey Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    So many actors in Liver Birds became famous later

Christopher Timothy,
    John Nettles
    Mollie Sugden,
    Even Nerys Hughes and Elizabeth Estenson went on to do other series
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    linmic wrote: »
    You've got me singing the theme tune now.....

'if you're standing on a corner all alone and feeling low ........................'etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y9VW2ldaJI
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    So many actors in Liver Birds became famous later

Christopher Timothy,
    John Nettles
    Mollie Sugden,
    Even Nerys Hughes and Elizabeth Estenson went on to do other series

Our Lucien (Michael Angelis) narrated Thomas the Tank Engine after Ringo Starr didn't want to do it any more. Which is funny because his brother Paul was Ringo's speaking voice in the Yellow Submarine film.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't argue with the theme tune, one of the best ever.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Can't argue with the theme tune, one of the best ever.
    Agreed, It's a catchy ditty.

Would that be the first time an established pop combo or rock muscian wrote a TV theme tune ? pre-dating Mike Hugg's Likely Lads opus.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Wish they would repeat the Elizabeth Estensen ones though - they never shows those!

They're the one's i remembered as a kid, and though i watched the Polly James ones on repeats later in my childhood, nowadays i find watching her to be too loud and grating. Just wish the later ones would be shown, but there's about 7 series before we get to them based on what drama are showing.

Annoying that when they made the new one for one series in the 90s, they rewrote history and made lucien be Polly's relative and wrote Liz out of the history books!
  • Robert_ThompsonRobert_Thompson Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    Wish they would repeat the Elizabeth Estensen ones though - they never shows those!

They're the one's i remembered as a kid, and though i watched the Polly James ones on repeats later in my childhood, nowadays i find watching her to be too loud and grating. Just wish the later ones would be shown, but there's about 7 series before we get to them based on what drama are showing.

Annoying that when they made the new one for one series in the 90s, they rewrote history and made lucien be Polly's relative and wrote Liz out of the history books!

Series 5/6/7 scheduled to air on drama!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Lucien (Michael Angelis) narrated Thomas the Tank Engine after Ringo Starr didn't want to do it any more. Which is funny because his brother Paul was Ringo's speaking voice in the Yellow Submarine film.
    Interesting fact - in the 80's and 90's, it was illegal to make a show about, set in, or mentioning Liverpool without Michael Angelis in the cast.

True story.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    !

They never seem to show the pilot and first series which had Pauline Collins rather than Nerys Hughes either
  • RetroSpecsRetroSpecs Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    They never seem to show the pilot and first series which had Pauline Collins rather than Nerys Hughes either

That would be because those episodes are among the 'missing presumed wiped' from the archive. Unless the series was sold abroad, it's not likely that they'll be out there anywhere.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RetroSpecs wrote: »
    That would be because those episodes are among the 'missing presumed wiped' from the archive. Unless the series was sold abroad, it's not likely that they'll be out there anywhere.

Well that would certainly explain that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth Estenson from today, gona miss Beryl, she was funny :(:D
  • turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Elizabeth Estenson from today, gona miss Beryl, she was funny :(:D

I missed Beryl the 1 st time around :)
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turfmike wrote: »
    I missed Beryl the 1 st time around :)

I have recorded it but not sure I will continue to watch it now Beryl isn't in it! :(
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I watched the first one with Elizabeth Estensen and I'm not going to bother watching any more, its a shame Polly James decided to leave!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Well I watched the first one with Elizabeth Estensen and I'm not going to bother watching any more, its a shame Polly James decided to leave!

Yeah same, although i might watch a couple more, just to see if it gets better, its just not the same without Beryl though.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Yeah same, although i might watch a couple more, just to see if it gets better, its just not the same without Beryl though.

I was too young first time around to watch the Liver Birds, but I've loved watching the repeats...the clothes & hair styles:D Anyway, I do think Elizabeth is being unfiarly compared, all because folk were used to Polly..from what I can see she's a fine comedic actress. I'm going to keep watching. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterdays was funny, enjoyed it :)