Options

The Great Fire - ITV Thursday 16th October at 9pm.

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Were they trying to suggest that the fire was purposely started to ruin the King and oust him from power?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Were they trying to suggest that the fire was purposely started to ruin the King and oust him from power?

A French watchmaker did confess to starting the fire as part of a Catholic conspiracy, and he was hanged at Tyburn on 28th September 1666, but it turned out that he didn't even arrive in London until two days after the fire started.

There's this article which might explain some of it.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    A French watchmaker did confess to starting the fire as part of a Catholic conspiracy, and he was hanged at Tyburn on 28th September 1666, but it turned out that he didn't even arrive in London until two days after the fire started.

This drama was implying that the girl was working for the gang led by the Kings brother plotting to overthrow the King and she started the fire.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    This drama was implying that the girl was working for the gang led by the Kings brother plotting to overthrow the King and she started the fire.

I know. There are some glaring inaccuracies. Thomas Farriner wasn't a widower, he had a wife and daughter. He also had a maid who was the first casualty of the fire as she was scared of heights and wouldn't cross to the other roof.
  • Options
    poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is shocking ! Was looking forward to it because of the history but the plot about the girl with her son is putting me off.

:(
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    This show is shocking ! Was looking forward to it because of the history but the plot about the girl with her son is putting me off.

:(

Exactly! It could have been so much better without the silly fictional subplot.

We've given up on watching this, and looking at the lack of posts, we're not the only ones. What a shame - it was an attempt to create a non-crime drama in an unusual period but they didn't do themselves any favours. >:(
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did everyone give up on this programme then? Must say I have mixed feelings about it. I think Pepys and his missus were great, but that Sarah, she annoyed me.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was destroyed by ITV's obsession with attracting female viewers by adding a soapy love story. I'm sure plenty of female viewers would have still watched it without the sugary schmaltz, but ITV didn't dare, so it bombed.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Gawd it was awful.

How they managed to make a story about one of our most exciting historical events so dull I don't know.

There must have been about 15 minutes of actual fire and several hours of whispery stage school acting as characters stood around talking about their feelings.

Charles Dance was the only good one in it, but then again he could read the weather and make it sounds menacing.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charles Dance did an interview where he moaned about the state of British Drama, so i guess he was talking about his own show then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    Did everyone give up on this programme then? Must say I have mixed feelings about it. I think Pepys and his missus were great, but that Sarah, she annoyed me.
    Yes gave up after 2 episodes. One of my favourite periods of history and it really was a load of doo doo. There are so many better authors around who know the evidence of the time ..why on earth spend money on this shoddy effort. Made The White Queen look Ok..oh hang on a minute..:o